Best Bivy for a floor less shelter?

Elite

WKR
What is everyone using for a ultra lightweight bivy with a floor less tipi? Google search only came up with only a few options and they are heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What is everyone using for a ultra lightweight bivy with a floor less tipi? Google search only came up with only a few options and they are heavy

There are some circumstances where a bivy is nice but IMO the best bivy is usually a good sleeping bag . Sometimes bivies add more hassle for the weight than they help .

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
There are some circumstances where a bivy is nice but IMO the best bivy is usually a good sleeping bag . Sometimes bivies add more hassle for the weight than they help .

It’s more just for early season to keep bug and some condensation off

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It depends on the bag but many bags handle a little moisture very well. For instance many of the Western Mountaineering shells are more waterproof than many of the tents at REI.

Bugs understandable ... I don’t worry much up in the mountains but more in the dessert certainly .

I’ve had quite a few UL bivy’s (Ti Goat, Borah Gear, and Zpacks), and the BG bivy’s are for sure my favorite. If you can afford a little more, the BG DCF version is top notch and only weighs about 4 oz. for the regular size, otherwise their silnylon versions weigh 6oz. for the regular and 7 oz. for the long/extra wide.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use a boray bug bivy as my ground cloth and it helps keep my sleeping bag/pad contained and out of the dirt/mud, if there are bugs I can zip it up. Its 7oz I believe, there are options a couple ounces lighter out there but for the price/weight works for me.

Reactions: 406

RCL

WKR
I have been using the Borah Gear bivy for several years and really like it for bug protection.

+1 for Borah Bivy. Make sure you get the right size. I use a Neo Air XTherm that is pretty thick. I'm only 5'6 and a regular size MLD Superlight bivy was too tight with this pad and my quilt. The Borah in a regular size is a bit bigger and works perfect though. You don't want to feel cramped inside the bivy.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Sounds like the Borah is the way to go but the wait time is to long before my next sheep hunt. Do you need a bivy if you are running a quilt? I might be switching to a quilt soon. I am thinking the bivy would help keep everything contained

I have both a Bear Paw WD custom build (sort of a minimalist 1.5 that I had built for use in my Megatarp and have used it in my sawtooth. I also have a Big Agnes 3 wire that I use as a stand alone. Both do their job.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
I LOVE my Borah Ultralight. I used it this last weekend up in the Cascades. We were using a floorless MLD mid shelter, and when the sun went down moisture in the air just started condensing on everything. I pulled out my bivy and was dry as a bone. It also helped with the wind, we had a pretty consistent 15mph breeze going, so it was nice to have.

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
How (to where) do you pitch out the top of the bivy around your head inside a floorless?

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
How (to where) do you pitch out the top of the bivy around your head inside a floorless?

Personally, I don't. I just open the bivy, put my pad inside and leave the top open. Though I suppose you could if you wanted to, depending upon the shelter. It wouldn't take much to put a tab on the inside of the shelter to lift the bug mesh from an ultralight bivy off of your face.

Voyageur

WKR

@Kevin_t I realize this post is over a year old, but I'm wondering if you would elaborate a bit on the added hassle of a bivy. I've never used one, Kevin, but am currently debating adding one to my gear.

Last edited:
Borah Gear bivy for me. Great quality and had it built oversized and with a center zip to match my Slick Bag. Not sure what the extra hassle might be but I unzip mine, slide the pad and bag inside, and zip up to keep bugs away while I’m out hunting. Unzip and crawl in at the end of the night.

schmalzy

WKR
I use a boray bug bivy as my ground cloth and it helps keep my sleeping bag/pad contained and out of the dirt/mud, if there are bugs I can zip it up. Its 7oz I believe, there are options a couple ounces lighter out there but for the price/weight works for me.

Same exact sentiments. Use it mostly to keep bag and of together and clean. When warm
I just throw a woobie in there and it’s great.