Best Bivy for Tall and Wide ?

I'm only 6-02 but have wide shoulders and chest. I use a long - wide slick bag. I'm having trouble finding any bivies that fit that size bag. Looking for something with maximum breathability. I know you will always get some condensation. The old USGI bivy used to come In XL and were perfect, although on the heavy side. They are impossible to find anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have John at Borah Gear make you an "oversized" bivy. I asked him to make my SnowySide eVent bivy longer and wider than his normal Long Wide offering (and he did a custom center zip to match my Slick Bag) and he did it at no additional cost. Lots of room for my large Xtherm pad and Reg Wide Slick Bag. Super pleased with his work and would buy another one from him in a heartbeat.

Have John at Borah Gear make you an "oversized" bivy. I asked him to make my SnowySide eVent bivy longer and wider than his normal Long Wide offering (and he did a custom center zip to match my Slick Bag) and he did it at no additional cost. Lots of room for my large Xtherm pad and Reg Wide Slick Bag. Super pleased with his work and would buy another one from him in a heartbeat.

What's the weight on your bivy? I just switched to the slick bag and am thinking about adding a bivy to my setup for added warmth and when I know the weather will be crappy in a floor less shelter, instead of just taking a Tyvek sheet.

I had a BPWD center zip bug bivy made longer and wider. It's got a .74 DCF bathtub floor with taller walls and Argon 90 from the foot up the mesh head cover where it starts at the chest. I added stake down loops at the bottom of each corner and loops at the top of each corner to keep the sides raised when used under a tarp. Total weight in the stuff sack is 9 ounces.

XMP

FNG
I've been researching the same issue (because I have the same problem). I know Aron Snyder always speaks highly of the Rab Alpine in event. But it's very narrow according to the specs. The Exped event bivy lists much wider, but I'm still not sure it's wide enough for really broad shoulders.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
1212760d42a5f34b1a6cb35369f9e4a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LBFowler

WKR
Actually you can buy a surplus bivvy any day of the week on eBay, last I checked they were mostly still <$50 for the most part.

I cut the floor and heavy zipper out of mine and put in a silnylon floor. Still heavy, but I at least got it under 2lbs.

OP
oldskool67
I've been watching eBay but the XL are all but impossible to get anymore. I have the current issue ones, as I am still in the NG, but they don't fit my slick bag the XL you could get years ago