Best blaze orange hunting vest

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Alright gents...

My current vest ripped and is trash now. I've been looking around but wanted to see what people recommend.

I will be using it for big game and small game hunting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I like the Kryptek vest but it is heavy. Picked up a First Lite vest in hunter orange that isn’t super lite but is merino.

Weekender

WKR
Patagonia Nano air vest (warmth) or Orange aglow (weight).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 schools of thought.
1-get a lightweight compact vest gets you legal that can be stuffed in a pack or pocket. Simple and only for the orange hunter requirements. Cabelas has one for $4.88 that stuffs into it's own pouch. The item # is IK-934109
2-get a vest that is reversible or has pockets or can be used as layering vest when you don't need the orange as much. One that can serve double duty.
I have an ll bean fleece vest that is quiet and is a good layering piece.

MtnMuley

WKR
Orange Aglow here. I have several stuffed in random spots. Cheap and very durable. Can't beat the weight either, plus they're stretchy.

I like the lightweight mesh version like orange aglow but I only pay about $5 for mine. I just look around stores until I find one that is soft and pliable. These don't change the performance of my clothing at all. Often in rifle season for me the weather is wet and having a lightweight fast drying vest over a heavy fleece or other heavy fabric seems to work well. I keep one strapped to the back of my pack and another in the side pocket that I pull out just before daylight when I adjust my layers after hiking in and I'm ready to change to hunting speed.

AdamW

WKR
Years ago, I followed my dad and had a custom hunting vest made by the now closed WICK Outdoor Works. Pocket layout, etc. all to my specifications. It's pretty cool, but bulky and heavy. When I'm not hunting near the truck I just like a lightweight (but not mesh) nylon or poly vest. The reason I'm not a fan of the mesh is the holes with a dark color behind them, mute the blaze orange a bit, which I don't want personally. For small game and birds I still prefer a duck style coat.

rm06

WKR
I have yet to find one to fit the bill, I'm not sure it exists. I have a Cabela's one made of fleece that is heavy and bulky and was only used once, I have a UA that comes close as far as lightweight but it doesn't breathe worth a darn therefore it gets little use and finally I have one of the disposable types referenced above which gets used most. It's breathes great and I don't have to worry about dressing around it.

[soapbox]The bottom line is that I abhor being told I have to wear orange. I'm of the belief that I don't need big brother looking out for me while I'm hunting, it should be an adult hunter's choice to do so or not.[/soapbox]

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Well I finally said, screw it and ordered 3 different types. It seems like there isn't one that really covers two types of hunts. Annoying haha

Heavier version for whitetail/plains mulie, a medium one and a birding vest. I guess one of them will work for something.

Thanks guys for the input

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I had a Kryptek Inferno vest, good piece but too heavy to justify packing in.

I got a few Orange Aglow vests last year as well as their cargo panels, incredibly lightweight. Despite being mesh I haven't had any issue with them catching on brush or getting damaged. I did go with my normal clothing size (M) in order to keep it tight though.

The panels are a real winner, you can see them a mile away in the daylight. At night, the reflective strips light up like the sun when you hit them with light, they're awesome.

Highly recommend, especially for the price/weight.

All Products – Orange Aglow