Best book for first time making a bow

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting a bug for getting into traditional archery. With that, I'm thinking I should maybe just go all in and learn to make my own bow too. Figure it might be something I can use later to teach my boys. With that in mind, if you could choose one book for somebody looking into making their first bow, which one would you choose?

I've seen Clay Hayes has a lot of good stuff on youtube to watch, and saw he has this book:

I've also seen this one recommended:

Anybody have thoughts on these or any others?

I'm thinking I might make my bow out of bitternut hickory since I have some in my yard I'm cutting down anyway, and I don't have access to osage orange or yew.

Thanks for any advice you have!

FLS

WKR
I’ve had them both and passed them on to friends. There are actually 3 bowyers bibles. My best advice is to hook up with someone that has actually made a few bow and shorten the learning curve. I made board bows, then self bows and ended up making laminated bows. Took a few deer and pigs with what I made. I never could shoot the self bows as well as the glass bows I made.

LostArra

WKR
I think Dean's book is an enjoyable read whether you make an Osage bow or not. It would not be as helpful for making a white wood bow as it focuses on Osage but his story telling is great.

I haven't read the Hayes book but he knows his stuff and has good you tube videos to help with the process. This is where I would start.

The Bowyer's Bibles (actually 4 volumes) have tons of detailed information but the format is a little dated.

I realize covid throws a wrench into things but attending a traditional bow making camp and seeing a bow made in one day really helps as FLS mentioned.

I would get that hickory cut into staves and prepped for drying. It takes a while to get bow wood seasoned, especially hickory.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
I have to think Clay Hayes would be a good source for no bs info. He seems to be pretty practical.

Try a board bow first. They are really cheap and actually shoot good. I bet you could get it done without any books now that the internet exists.

Ddog

WKR
Just got Clay's book and read through it, I'll be using it and the TBB books on my first Osage build for sure.