Best boot for winter whitetail hunts?

I hunted for the first time last season. I hunt whitetail and need to walk in about 1-1.5 miles. (Public land). Im looking for a boot or tips when its below freezing down to -10 when you have to sweat to get in, climb the tree and then sit idle for hours. I have no issues with clothing but seems like everytime my toes are going to fall off. I currently wear artic muck boots. Any boots that work for you or tips?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
^
What he said. Also, bring spare socks to change out once you reach your stand. Over boot booties as well

cusecat04

FNG
spare socks and sometimes boots have been key for me, 1.5mi in sounds like a bit and you will most likely have some sweat through the sock in your boots.
I've carried in insulated muck boots that are roomy to allow good circulation while on stand.
You'd never want to hike a mile in them though when sized up like that.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Walk in with comfortable, lightly or uninsulated boots. When you get to your stand, put on overboots with a handwarmer inside, resting on the top of your boot's toe.

You'll never be able to walk 1.5 miles in heavy insulated boots and still have dry feet. If your feet are wet, they will freeze.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
Flat or moderate slope? Switch to pacs. LaCrosse, Whites, Kenetrek. And carry overboots like Arctic Shield. I use over-boot, Thinsulate and fleece toe covers. Work great but out of production. Also, get a warmer hat and neck gaiter, possibly a kidney belt with handwarmer inserts. Keep the blood warm throughout your body so there’s enough for your feet.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Any rubber boot, especially those mucks suck or walking 100 yards let alone a mile. I used to have this issue, but I now have an 800 gram pair of danners, I change socks when I get in stand, and after 15-30 minutes I put some ice breaker boot blankets on. After an hour or two with those on I will throw a hand warmer in and I can sit all day.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
Many choices and valid points. You have to see what works. Rubber boots, unless you get the white cold war NORAD bunny boots, never worked. That hasn’t changed despite “new” brands. Muck, (ahem).

Between pacs and high insulation (600 to 1000g) leather/Thinsulate, you try them and choose. Myself, I find too much insulation in a leather hiking/hunting boot is sloppier and more difficult to walk in than a quality well fit pac. Personal preference and I can see the option. If you try a pac get good ones though.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
LL Beans and Schnees might also work, in addition to the aforementioned Kenetrek, White, and LaCrosse. Skip the rest of the ski lodge/snow shovel brands. Lol