Best boot warranty

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know what boot has the best warranty? I see a lot of "we'll make it right, free of defects, ect. ect.". I'll admit I know little to nothing about how to buy hunting boots. Mostly I just used work boots (cats and timberlands) which suck to cover any distance.

I'm willing to spend the $ on something that's going to last, be warm, and waterproof. I see a lot of Crispi for sale, are are they bad or just swapping them out?

Next question, do you normally buy them online? I've never had good luck buying shoes without trying them on first.

I'm really hesitant to drop hundreds of dollars on something that may be OK when I could have just bought the Cabela's specials and saved the money.

Any advice is appreciated.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's your expectation of a warranty, boots have a limited life. Typically you'll need to try multiple boots to see what fits you best, which is why you see so many for sale all the time. A few places will let you try them at home and if not right let you exchange for another pair.
For me boots are most important aspect to being comfortable for the duration of my hunt.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Where do you live? Places like REI sells Lowa. I had my last pair of Lowa Tibet’s last 7years and still have them (one resole and 3 insoles). Just bought a set of Kenetrek’s to get those a go. I tend to look for boots that can be resoled and repaired. Only reason I got new boots was because I’m heading back to Alaska this fall and the gortex in the Lowas are leaking now with heavy water use. They are well past the service life. Most good and hiking boots are stiffer and require a break in period.

I also look for boots as they age will double as duty boots for work. I just die them black.

OP
J

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
What's your expectation of a warranty, boots have a limited life. Typically you'll need to try multiple boots to see what fits you best, which is why you see so many for sale all the time. A few places will let you try them at home and if not right let you exchange for another pair.
For me boots are most important aspect to being comfortable for the duration of my hunt.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I was hoping for something better than a 1 year warranty. Makes sense that not a lot or anyone does a really long warranty.

That's kind of what I was going with too, having something comfortable. The issue that I've run into was mixed reviews. Some show decent reviews and a few where the sole falls off or leaking. I just didn't want to be stuck with something trash. Also, didn't realize there was a market for used boots.

OP
J

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Where do you live? Places like REI sells Lowa. I had my last pair of Lowa Tibet’s last 7years and still have them (one resole and 3 insoles). Just bought a set of Kenetrek’s to get those a go. I tend to look for boots that can be resoled and repaired. Only reason I got new boots was because I’m heading back to Alaska this fall and the gortex in the Lowas are leaking now with heavy water use. They are well past the service life. Most good and hiking boots are stiffer and require a break in period.

I also look for boots as they age will double as duty boots for work. I just die them black.
Michigan, so cold, would also like to use them for hiking in snow/cold since my lacrosse alphaburys are the worst for snowy hiils.

How can you tell if you can resole a boot or not? You have peaked my frugal interests.

OP
J

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate it.
Anyone have any recommendations to check out or to stay away from?

Mikido

WKR
I went to midwayusa, ordered 4 pairs of boots from 2 brands, then did another 2 pairs of boots, and returned what I didn’t want. Totally worth the $7 to return $1200 worth of boots. I ended up very happily with kenetrek mountai extremes, which fit great out the box and still do. I didn’t have the luxury of a store close by that carried high end boots.

as much as things need to break in, suffering for 50miles doesn’t make sense either. Happy feet make a happy trekker. Good luck.

Btw the above process totally showed me that sizes vary between brands and within a brand between models. Don’t buy something you can’t return.

GKWMontana

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure on every brand, but I have had great luck with Lowa Tibet's also. I easily put 300 to 400 miles on per hunting season and then use them on every day hikes the rest of the year. I'm starting my third season with this pair and just bought another to start rotating in.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Like some others are saying, go to REI if you're worried about returning boots. They 100 percent have the best exchange/return program across the board. To me, the warranty doesn't factor into my buying process. Buy what fits the best from a company like Lowa, Zamberlan, Asolo, Kennetrek, Crispi, Meindl, and you shouldn't have any issues.

Do your research and just be prepared to lose some money. I don't know of anyone who has gotten it right the first time when it comes to boots. Do yourself a favor, and find what insole feels best for you, and then find the boot that feels best with that insole installed. Too many times do people love the way a boot feels with a stock insole, and then they start to put weight on their back, and their arches collapse and their boots now suck, their toes are cramped..etc. Best of luck.

OP
J

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Like some others are saying, go to REI if you're worried about returning boots. They 100 percent have the best exchange/return program across the board. To me, the warranty doesn't factor into my buying process. Buy what fits the best from a company like Lowa, Zamberlan, Asolo, Kennetrek, Crispi, Meindl, and you shouldn't have any issues.

Do your research and just be prepared to lose some money. I don't know of anyone who has gotten it right the first time when it comes to boots. Do yourself a favor, and find what insole feels best for you, and then find the boot that feels best with that insole installed. Too many times do people love the way a boot feels with a stock insole, and then they start to put weight on their back, and their arches collapse and their boots now suck, their toes are cramped..etc. Best of luck.
Good to know.

That's where I was coming from with the warranty question, I didn't want to be stuck with $3-400+ boots that cut the hell out of my ankles or fall apart after a few months.

Thanks

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Does anyone know what boot has the best warranty? I see a lot of "we'll make it right, free of defects, ect. ect.". I'll admit I know little to nothing about how to buy hunting boots. Mostly I just used work boots (cats and timberlands) which suck to cover any distance.

I'm willing to spend the $ on something that's going to last, be warm, and waterproof. I see a lot of Crispi for sale, are are they bad or just swapping them out?

Next question, do you normally buy them online? I've never had good luck buying shoes without trying them on first.

I'm really hesitant to drop hundreds of dollars on something that may be OK when I could have just bought the Cabela's specials and saved the money.

Any advice is appreciated.
Our warranty is "we stand behind every boot we make/sell. If you have an issue, we will take care of you." Pretty straight forward. We've done the set timeframe thing...but the thing is, people use their boots differently. There is a big difference between someone that goes on one or 2 hunts a year and a guide that might put thousands of miles per season on theirs. We tend to handle issues on a case by case basis, usually erroring on the side of making the customer happy 😎

- Matt

OP
J

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Our warranty is "we stand behind every boot we make/sell. If you have an issue, we will take care of you." Pretty straight forward. We've done the set timeframe thing...but the thing is, people use their boots differently. There is a big difference between someone that goes on one or 2 hunts a year and a guide that might put thousands of miles per season on theirs. We tend to handle issues on a case by case basis, usually erroring on the side of making the customer happy 😎

- Matt
Fair point.
Thank you for the information. Your boots get a lot of praise on here, definitely checking them out.