BEST : Boot water repellent treatment products

357magag

Lil-Rokslider
Have several pair of still good leather and combo boots that need a fresh treatment.

What products have you all seen the best results using?

Thanks

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Obenauf’s . First heard about it on here, last year. Good stuff.

22lr

WKR
I always just rubbed mine down with a bit of Kiwi saddle soap. Keeps the leather nice and pliable and helps keep it from drying out. I'm not usually a leather boot guy, but I've been using that treatment to great affect over the last few years.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I use Obenaufs. I don't know if it is the best compared to other quality options but I have been happy with it as it seems to keep my boot leather well conditioned and water repellant. I clean my boots with a brush and saddle soap, rinse really well, and dry out before I apply the Obenaufs.

KineKilla

WKR
Made my own out of Vaseline and Beeswax. Treated an old pair of Danner's and they never soaked through during a week long, rainy bear hunt this spring.

For leathers, I too have had excellent results with Obenauf's. For sythetic boots, I've used NikWax and RevivEx and they seem to work about the same.

Hondo

WKR
I have been using Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP for years on leather boots with good results.

MThuntr

WKR
I've been using Obenaufs for a long time and it seems to be helpful. I'm trying the oil right now versus the paste because I was traveling and that's what the store had when I needed it. The guy that rebuilt my soles told me that Obenaufs will ruin the glue on the rubber rand. I have no idea if that's true or not but I did notice on the pair of Zamberlan that the rand did start peeling. I kind of associated it with neglect more so than the treatment so who knows.

That being said I would use the product recommended by your boot manufacturer especially if they offer some sort of warranty/service/etc as part of the purchase.

Obenaufs and Montana Pitch Blend. Both work very well and are of similar make-up.
With either product I like to brush the boots to make sure I get as much dirt and crud off of them as I can. I then apply an application of either product and rub it in the leather. Then I put the boots on a Peet boot dryer for a few hours. Very low temperature warms up the leather and helps the product permeate the leather.

You might have to buy several products, but I would use whatever brand treatment that the boot brand is. I use Danner waterproofing on Danners, Kenetrek boot crème on my Kenetreks, and Crispi waterproofing crème on my Crispis. If you use something else on them, and it contains something that delaminates the rand, sole, or stitching the boot company won't warranty the failure of the boots. I spend hundreds of dollars on quality boots, so spending $15 on a boot treatment made by that same company is a wise purchase. My opinion only, yours may differ.

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use Obenaufs, and was relatively happy w it. But it seemed like the boots would dry out and need a new treatment after just a few hikes.
A year ago I switched to go ol fashioned Snoseal and have been very happy. Seals great, lasts long time, ready available, and cheap...

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the Obenhaufs oil over the paste. The paste stayed tacky and attracted dirt that stuck to it and got the sandpaper effect. Wore through the leather on a brand new pair of boots in a month or two. I didn't realize it until it was too late. If I would have cleaned them more frequently maybe it wouldn't have happened, idk.