Best bow for beginner under $750

crl

FNG
I’ll keep this short. I have been an avid hunter for many years, but only rifle. I’m looking to get into bow hunting turkey and deer but don’t know where to begin equipment wise. What bow would you recommend under $750 for a complete beginner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend going to shoot as many different brands and models as possible. What feels good for me may feel bad for you. I personally like obsession, mathews, and bear the best. I currently shoot an Obsession defcon 6.

Reactions: crl

wseidel

WKR
There are a lot of high quality bows out there from the well-known brands. I would highly encourage you to look at Athens Archery bows during your reviews as I was in your situation two months ago. Above all, find a bow that fits you well so be prepared to do your homework. Note: This is also a good time to be shopping as new models will be coming out shortly ... giving you even more choices to choose from. Hope this helps...

OP
crl

crl

FNG
Sounds like going to my local bow shop and getting hands on is the best call. I also forgot to mention I am 6’4” so I would assume that getting a bow fitted to me properly would be extra important.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
You are absolutely correct. You will probably have a draw length 30 plus inches, so that will immediately get rid of a few bows. I would look at reviews of bow shops around you. To get measured and know the setup you are going to want, you will want to find a good highly recommended shop, not just some Joe smho.

Soupie

FNG
We just got my wife an Elite Ember, it was $569 fully accessorized.

Really impressed so far and seems like a great entry level bow. However, with that said the main reason we went this route was because of her short draw length.

Zac

WKR
Sounds like going to my local bow shop and getting hands on is the best call. I also forgot to mention I am 6’4” so I would assume that getting a bow fitted to me properly would be extra important.

Well that pretty much eliminates almost every model. Maybe for your price range you could find a used Elite Ritual 35. Better yet you could pick up one of this year's 38 inch Prime's. They go all the way up to 80 lbs. Whatever you do do not buy a 30 inch bow.

peterk123

WKR
I purchased a brand new leftover Realm X for $750 one year ago. Poke around on the classifieds at archerytalk.com. Guys there buy and sell bows with greater frequency than I buy socks. You can find some great deals. Since almost every bow today has adjustable cams now, sizing is much less of a concern.

If you need to touch and feel the bow, I think Bear Archery puts out some great bows in your price range. Probably one of the more underrated brands out there. Pete

Rob5589

WKR
You need a shop to sample as many as possible. Do not buy a used bow you haven't handled/shot until you know what works for you. At 6'4", you're probably 31" or more in draw length which will limit you some.

I would recommend a used bow. Lots of 1-2 year old bows for sale after the season. I have done this for my last few bows and get a 1 year old bow for a fantastic discount from new.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this. I have a 31.5" DL.

There aren't many bows for us bigger frames... I bought a 1yr old used Hoyt on archerytalk for $800. I couldn't afford new either.

If I was new to the game, with our DL, I would look for a 2-4yr old used bow on the classifieds in the $4-500 range. The technology hasn't changed much, if at all in the last decade... Get yourself a fair deal then spend the remainder on arrows, good broadheads, and rest/sight/quiver/stab for a total investment of $750.

Zac

WKR
I would tell you to save your money and buy a bow that you will be able to use for a while. The budget line is complete garbage, and usually meant for people with very short draws. I would look at something like the Prime Black 8 with 80lb draw. You can get a great string angle with a nice brace height. You can also wind it down to the mid 70s which seems to be the sweet spot for most people. If you are a giant dude you can probably pull the 80 lbs with a 38 inch ATA with ease anyway.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I would tell you to save your money and buy a bow that you will be able to use for a while. The budget line is complete garbage, and usually meant for people with very short draws. I would look at something like the Prime Black 8 with 80lb draw. You can get a great string angle with a nice brace height. You can also wind it down to the mid 70s which seems to be the sweet spot for most people. If you are a giant dude you can probably pull the 80 lbs with a 38 inch ATA with ease anyway.
I'd have to disagree with what you say here for beginners. Regardless of size, I think 80 pounds is way too high for any beginner to start with. Just because you *can* pull heavy poundage, doesn't mean you should. You need to develop specific back and shoulder muscles necessary to properly pull, and if their form isn't already perfect, people will develop bad habits and technique. The human component of archery is way more flawed than anything on the market.

I also disagree that budget line bows are garbage. Budget bows today are lightyears ahead of top of the line bows from 15 years ago. Technology has trickled down to make them good. I started with a diamond infinite edge pro, swapped the rest with a whisker biscuit and 5 pin IQ sights, g5 quiver, and kept everything else stock, including the short stab, I bought very nice release, high quality arrows tuned to the bow, then learned how to shoot it starting at 45#, incrementally bumping up to 65# over a few months. I shot and practiced consistently over 3 years and hunted with it, and took advice from the guys at my pro shop on how to shoot. It never failed to kill anything I shot because it was a bad bow. It's extreme tune-ability allowed me to figure out my draw length, what weight I can shoot most consistently at, what I did and did not like, and much more. I consistently shoot x's and 9 ring at 20 yards, and I'm confident shooting at big game out to 50. Do I think it's the best bow in the world? Nope, but I kept it because I like it so much I detuned the weight for beginners and use it as a back up. A poorly tuned budget bow is complete garbage. A poorly tuned top of the line bow isn't much better. A bad archer wouldn't tell the difference.

In hindsight, I'm glad I went the route that I did. I've upgraded my bow and components since, but not until I learned how to squeeze out the potential from my rig and learn good form. My opinion about what I thought I would like changed a lot over 3 years, and actually carrying it in field for weeks straight taught me a lot about hunting with a bow. I saved a lot of time and money shooting as is and not upgrading all the time. I'm positive I learned faster not changing my set up.

I would advise any beginner to buy a bow with high adjustability and tuneability first, then add some basic quality components, buy cheapish arrows to lose/break while you learn, high quality arrows once you do learn, tune the bow, and practice a ton.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
I'd have to disagree with what you say here for beginners. Regardless of size, I think 80 pounds is way too high for any beginner to start with. Just because you *can* pull heavy poundage, doesn't mean you should. You need to develop specific back and shoulder muscles necessary to properly pull, and if their form isn't already perfect, people will develop bad habits and technique. The human component of archery is way more flawed than anything on the market.

I also disagree that budget line bows are garbage. Budget bows today are lightyears ahead of top of the line bows from 15 years ago. Technology has trickled down to make them good. I started with a diamond infinite edge pro, swapped the rest with a whisker biscuit and 5 pin IQ sights, g5 quiver, and kept everything else stock, including the short stab, I bought very nice release, high quality arrows tuned to the bow, then learned how to shoot it starting at 45#, incrementally bumping up to 65# over a few months. I shot and practiced consistently over 3 years and hunted with it, and took advice from the guys at my pro shop on how to shoot. It never failed to kill anything I shot because it was a bad bow. It's extreme tune-ability allowed me to figure out my draw length, what weight I can shoot most consistently at, what I did and did not like, and much more. I consistently shoot x's and 9 ring at 20 yards, and I'm confident shooting at big game out to 50. Do I think it's the best bow in the world? Nope, but I kept it because I like it so much I detuned the weight for beginners and use it as a back up. A poorly tuned budget bow is complete garbage. A poorly tuned top of the line bow isn't much better. A bad archer wouldn't tell the difference.

In hindsight, I'm glad I went the route that I did. I've upgraded my bow and components since, but not until I learned how to squeeze out the potential from my rig and learn good form. My opinion about what I thought I would like changed a lot over 3 years, and actually carrying it in field for weeks straight taught me a lot about hunting with a bow. I saved a lot of time and money shooting as is and not upgrading all the time. I'm positive I learned faster not changing my set up.

I would advise any beginner to buy a bow with high adjustability and tuneability first, then add some basic quality components, buy cheapish arrows to lose/break while you learn, high quality arrows once you do learn, tune the bow, and practice a ton.
I suppose a budget bow in his size would be the PSE Drive that comes in at 33inches. I started with an 83 lb Hoyt Defiant. I think the draw cycle depends on whether someone can shoot 80 or not. Not a big deal, usually bows can be wound down anyways.

cured_ham

WKR
If you are looking for a budget bow that is awesome you can find a lot of closeout Prime Centergy/Centergy Hybrids for sub 500 new. Hell of a bow for the price.

OR Archer

WKR
There’s very few budget bows that will go to a 30”+ draw in that price point. The PSE Drive XL is probably the best budget bow in that price range. You won’t however get it fully set up for $750. You’ll be better off saving a bit more and opening your choices up. If you stay in that price point and want new your not going to have many options. If you’re open to slightly used you can have a lot more options. Start at your local shop though. Work with them since you are new. Explain to them up front what you’re looking for.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I suppose a budget bow in his size would be the PSE Drive that comes in at 33inches. I started with an 83 lb Hoyt Defiant. I think the draw cycle depends on whether someone can shoot 80 or not. Not a big deal, usually bows can be wound down anyways.
Dang! Started out with a beast! I've seen some fairly fit dudes who couldn't pull my bow at 62# until I showed them how to properly draw, and they were shaking and death gripping and out of breath by the time they fired the arrow. Personally, I've shot bows in the mid 70#, and didn't like it. I could only practice for about 1/3 the time before I got exhausted and sloppy. I could work up to that weight to shoot all day, but I'm not a weak guy either. My current poundage is comfortable and more than adequate. I think of it the same as a rifle. I went with a .308 over 300 win mag for my main rifle because ammo is cheaper/more available and recoil isn't as bad. 300WM might kill something harder and farther, but I got lots of practice on a proven cartridge and accept its limitations. I'd probably have a habitual flinch if I started with the 300. I think comfort and shootability should be priority over technical superiority. YMMV

Hoot

WKR

That’s definitely the first step, as others have said, you will most likely be limited on choices by your draw length. Once you know that you’ll know what choices you have.

The Hoyt XXL will be a good one that you could find used. A longer axel to axel measured bow will provide you a better string angle and be more forgiving and comfortable for you. That 38” prime would probably be a good one too. A good rule of thumb is to always shoot a bow that has ATA greater than your draw length.

you are going to have a hard time getting one all set up under your budget, but you can find good deals on used equipment

Reactions: Zac