Best bow to get various newbies exposed to archery

zman

Lil-Rokslider
I often have friends/ acquaintances say to me... I'd love to try shooting. And I think more hunters and fishermen in the world is a good thing. But of course they have a different draw length, may not be strong enough to pull my bow or I just don't trust them with my bow. And they aren't going to walk into an archery shop and drop $$$ just to try. So, I am going to buy one of the adjustable bows on the market. The ones that adjust from 25-65 lbs or so and 20-30 inches draw length without a press. So with an allen key I can get someone taking a few shots at 20 yards and maybe plant the archery seed.
I know Diamond, Mission and Bear have these bows. Anybody ever buy a bow for this purpose? What bow and how is it going?

bsnedeker

WKR
My first bow was a Diamond Infinite Edge. It's honestly painful for me to use these days since I've become accustomed to higher-end bows, but when I was brand-new and didn't know any better it worked extremely well for me. I shot a pile of deer with it and I still have it for the exact reason you have described. I've adjusted it so my wife can try out a compound and she really likes it (she is a recurve shooter), and I plan to start my daughter on it when she is big enough. At some point I may turn it into a dedicated bow-fishing rig. It's extremely adaptable.

I've been to a few different archery shops that offer lessons for beginners and almost all of them use the IE for their classes so I think it's a great place to start.

All the shooting programs I was in during youth archery used the Genesis bows. I've thought about getting one for that exact situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR Archer

WKR
Mission Switch if you’re going to purchase new. If not new a Mission Hype DT. Both highly adjustable and they both tune and shoot very well. Tons of adjustability as well.

mtnlomo

FNG
I grew up shooting Diamond, and while it doesn't compare to the nicer bows I have had and tried since then they are great for learning on, very forgiving, smooth, and accurate with a generous amount of adaptability and growth for any novice or kid growing into one both in draw weight and length. Both weight and length are simple and quick to adjust. I even used mine some years ago to kill my first elk with a bow, my teenage sister now uses it for 3D shoots.

Warmsy

WKR
On 3 rivers I got a bow for my kid and girlfriend that is adjustable as hell... it's like an R/D, the lady shoots it and it's easy to introduce to guests that have no experience- it's fun and all you have to do to adjust the draw weight is string the bow to a different notch on the nock of the bow.

Second the matthews genesis bow. My buddy got one for his 7 year old, and he's shooting great after a couple weeks.

OP
zman

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Mission Switch if you’re going to purchase new. If not new a Mission Hype DT. Both highly adjustable and they both tune and shoot very well. Tons of adjustability as well.
Just checked out the Switch. Like it alot. Thanks. Right now its a toss up between that and the Diamond.

Grumman

WKR
I’m hoping the Bowtech Amplify is a good one. I have one on order for my son.

Zkep

FNG
I had the diamond edge 320 (SB1 pretty much the same). Shot great, widely adjustable....Ive since upgraded and tuned the diamond for my girlfriend....but also bring it as a back up bow on out of town trips in case something crazy happens to my elite. They are adjustable enough to be able to work on them without a bow press so you could make something work in the field in the case of an emergency.

I would have to recommend AGAINST diamond.. if u search around you'll find many long time diamond users changing that sentiment and I personally had a horrible experience with a brand new diamond edge 320... you know the model parts you have to break the little plastic parts out of at a few points around it to get the parts out of the single rectangle parts thing. Well my brand new diamond 320 came in and everytime I got to fill draw this moderately loud click would happen. I drew it 3 more times to just see if the string was getting seated or what everytime CLICK. SO I've got my face in the bottom cam to see what's going on while I draw and-"click" and "BOOM" string snapped full draw.

They had left a large SHARP at least 5mm prong sticking out of the edge of the cam. As if they broke it off a bunch of others on a sheet but didn't grind down the broken points leftover. It was horrible. NEVER DIAMOND again. After something like that.. that's just unforgivable.

This is what the Mathews Genesis was made for - “unlimited” draw length and adjust lineage with an Allen key.

I shot a Bowtech Amplify the other day and it was pretty sweet. Its a “grow with me” type of bow and is really adjustable.

That, or a couple of recurves.

Grumman

WKR
My son’s Amplify came in and he really likes it. Seems like a great bow for the price point and adjustability.