Best broadheads

rspecht55

FNG
I have been using muzzy 3 blades for a long time. I am looking for a great way to sharpen them. What suggestions do you have. Tools to use? Etc?
Also, if I switch broadheads what does everyone suggest? I shoot a Mathews Legacy at 28.5 inch draw length pulling 60 lbs. I am currently shooting Easton Axis arrows. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Innovative outdoorsman sells guides for sharpening replaceable blade broadheads using sandpaper. Probably one of the cheaper options out there.

Depends on what your budget is for broadheads. I like the grim reaper micro hades for an affordable fixed blade. Magnus is around that price as well. If you want to get a better broadhead, VPA’s are a good option. Next level higher, you’re looking at Iron wills, which are a really good head as well.

Btaylor

WKR
For replaceable blade heads I always just got new blades as it wasnt worth the effort to mess with them. If you want a good blade that you use over and over, then I would encourage you to step up to something like the Magnus or VPA that was mentioned above. Lots of solid fixed blade heads out there and most are easily sharpened. If you want to step up to a really nice blade then the iron wills or day six heads would be at the top of my list. Both are really high quality heads.

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
People really seem to like Magnus Stingers/Black Hornets & QAD Exodus for fixed blades. If you wanted to spend some more money than those 2, I would look at Iron Will.

MThuntr

WKR
I've adopted a type of thought on broadheads that seems to be similar to RanchFairy/Ashby though my thoughts differ along the line of weights, etc just something that feels right to me so take the grain of salt:

No flimsy blades (like Muzzy), no expandables, cut-on-contact not chisel tip, shallow angle to blade design (stinger > black hornet). This equates to probably the Magnus Stinger being one of the least expensive options. So far my issue with Stingers is they don't come very sharp from the factory so you do invest time in getting them sharp.

I use the Innovative Outdoorsman Stay Sharp sharpener and there is a learning curve but I can get them razor sharp though do struggle with the tip portion. There are superior quality products that may be worth the extra $15 if nothing for pure longevity.

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I shot a prototype head from Black Widow Innovations. The Recluse head is now available on the market. This is 100% by far the best broad head that I've ever shot. I have my bow tuned and they fly with field points right out to 70 yards when I practice. Last year I got a complete pass through on my bull elk at 61 yards. I shot my white tail straight on at 17 yards and the head buried in the pelvic bone. When I shot my mule deer spot and stalk in the crop, I misjudged the yardage and shot high hitting him in the spine. The head passed through the spine fully. The buck fell immediatly and I had to come back at night to find my arrow with the glowing nockturnal. They are a 1" X 1" cut with 4 solid blades. They are super sharp and super strong. I suggest checking them out. s.jpg
zz.jpeg
120040408_922391364950008_1291339245148710132_n.jpg
recluse_web_1024x1024@2x.jpg

JTR11

FNG
Another fixed blade/single bevel option to consider is cutthroat broadheads. I’m shooting some this season. They’re a little cheaper than iron wills. Like others have mentioned i also picked up the sharpening jig from innovative outdoorsman.

OP
rspecht55

rspecht55

FNG
I’m new to this broadheads game. I looked at the cutthroats and they are talking right bevel and left bevel. Why would I choose one over the other?

I’m new to this broadheads game. I looked at the cutthroats and they are talking right bevel and left bevel. Why would I choose one over the other?

Depends on your fletching direction/arrow rotation.

Likely you will want a right bevel. If you fletch with a left off-set or left helical you will want a left bevel.

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
You really can't go wrong with most modern Broadheads. This is typically a ford/chevy style debate

HOWEVER

I have personally tried quite a few Broadheads on white tail in 15 years of hunting

QAD exodus is my favorite fixed blade by a strong margin. I also liked WacEms pretty well for the price

Both of these flew extremely well and did what they were supposed to

Orginal Grim Reaper Razor cuts are very hard to beat for mechanicals. I toyed around with Sevr 2.0s last year and like them as well. The only thing I don't like is the old school O-Ring retention.

The right answer is it all boils down to a well tuned bow, a sharp Broadhead, and shot placement

Rage 2 blade chisel tip are my go to for deer. I hated them like so many other until I tried them for myself.

70# 29'' 400 grain arrow