Best budget long range scopes

Looking to hear what you guys like on a budget long range scope that can reach over 1000 yds. I'm also looking for a reticle set up. I'm trying to get the spend stuff out of the way first so scope is next on my list for my build!
Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
LRHSi from GAP, $750......

Gonna have a pretty tough time beating this for the money, even if you buy used. I think they might have sold out of the scope on its own and you have to buy the one that comes with a MUT multi tool for $800 I believe.

TxAg93

FNG
LRHSi from GAP, $750......

I've got one of the non illuminated versions waiting for rings to arrive that I'm mounting up. After everything I've read on and looking through mine it seems to be a very solid choice for sub $1000! Hopefully I can get to the range to break in this new set up in the next couple weeks.

2five7

WKR
If you want to get down to the $500 range the Burris veracity 3-15x50 is awesome. Good glass, excellent tracking, ffp, 25 oz. Lifetime transferable warranty, and Burris does custom turrets for $50.

Reactions: XLR
I would start out with a used or demo nightforce. You can go with a older NXS to save more money.
For long range you want your scope to track correctly and be robust. Ive owned a lot of the Bushnells and they are a good price but ive had quite a few failures with them.

Bushnell Are terrible.

They sell them at Walmart for Pete sakes.

Nightforce are mil spec grade Al you min we um!!

All your fanboi nightforce are belong to us.

desertcj

WKR
I'm looking at the Bushnell Engage 6-24×50, Bushnell Forge 4.5-27×50 and the Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50. All 3 have pluses and minuses. I don't feel the need for an illuminated reticle?

The Engage is the cheapest, has locking and zero reset turrets, BUT no zero stop.

Forge has locking, zero reset turrets and a zero stop elevation turret. I also like the reticle more that the reticle on the Engage, however...I have seen it described as a wire reticle vs etched glass? I think that must be wrong because I don't see how that reticle is possible unless its etched glass. Bushnell Forge is the most expensive of the 3 at about $900. I don't see them selling a ton at the price point as there are other NICE options within $200 or $300. At about $600 the Forge makes sense.

Lastly, the Athlon Midas TAC. I'm pretty much leaning this way, only thing I don't like is that it's a MIL/MIL scope. I know other guys swear by MIL, I've just never used it.

Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 looks pretty good to me as well available in moa and mil.

Last edited:
Those scopes are lip stick on a pig..

Quit looking at "features" and buy on rugged reliability..

I have and do own expensive scopes, none have been better and dialing and holding zero then my swfa fixed power scopes.

10 or 12 power is plenty on the top end.. especially if 1000 is to the top end of ur play range and ur kills will be 600 and in.

Spotting misses and watching trace helps always, but especially on the learning side of the equation.

desertcj

WKR
Those scopes are lip stick on a pig..

Quit looking at "features" and buy on rugged reliability..

I have and do own expensive scopes, none have been better and dialing and holding zero then my swfa fixed power scopes.

10 or 12 power is plenty on the top end.. especially if 1000 is to the top end of ur play range and ur kills will be 600 and in.

Spotting misses and watching trace helps always, but especially on the learning side of the equation.

I dont want to be rude, but for me I'd have to say NO. There are features that I dont want to go without. If I did, there's nothing wrong with the Bushnell tactical I have. No zero stop, no thanks! No zero reset, get real! I'm also personally, not fond of a fixed power scope on a long range rifle. I have a couple of fixed 4x on rifles so I do have an idea of what I'm talking about. I won't go below 14 or 15 on the top end for a variable.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna have a pretty tough time beating this for the money, even if you buy used. I think they might have sold out of the scope on its own and you have to buy the one that comes with a MUT multi tool for $800 I believe.

I haven't been able to reach anyone at GAP, and they won't return my call despite leaving a voicemail. Does anyone know if they still have LRHSi in stock?