Best Bug Repellent?

robtattoo

WKR
Thermacell, Thermacell, Thermacell!!!!!

We hunt wild boar right on the Altahama River Swamps in Georgia in Late Feb/March each year, and there are millions of skeeters big enough to carry away small children!!

no thermacell and u are eaten alive in 10 minutes

with thermacell you can hunt comfortably!

This, this & this!! ^^^

I hunt the same areas around Altamaha & the skeeters there are no joke. I've tried every spray imaginable & nothing comes close to the effectiveness of a Thermacell.

The yellow bottle of Sawyers. It is in Walmart I know and several other places. You can also get a permethrin concentrate and mix it with appropriate amount of water. It’s odorless, highly effective, and stays in your clothes up to 6 washes and several weeks. I’ve had great luck with it!

wulfsige

FNG
For mosquitos, Thermacell is just about all I use. I hate having to spray chemicals on my skin, and the thermacell works like a charm here in Georgia. One downside is that it doesn’t work well if there’s a breeze, but mosquitos are weak flyers and usually won’t be after you if there’s wind. During Spring turkey season here in Georgia I also use the Sawyer Permethrin that you apply to your clothing/gear. The combo of those two and I’m good to go. There’s been times where I forgot my thermacell and the mosquitos we’re horrendous without it. Look online and learn how to refill the butane canisters. Saves you some money. I’ve also been known to cut the blue pads in half when I’m low on them and can’t get to the store. I’m waiting for thermacell to come out with one that uses a rechargeable battery AND is portable. They make a rechargeable one now, but it’s not really portable.
As far as biting flies, the thermacell doesn’t work as well or at all. Pretty much stuck with DEET in those cases. Luckily for me those occasions are infrequent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wulfsige

FNG
Thermacell, Thermacell, Thermacell!!!!!

We hunt wild boar right on the Altahama River Swamps in Georgia in Late Feb/March each year, and there are millions of skeeters big enough to carry away small children!!

no thermacell and u are eaten alive in 10 minutes

with thermacell you can hunt comfortably!

Altamaha is a true test of a repellent method. One of the places I hunt turkey in the spring is not too far from there. I grew up in CA and have been to Bishop- if a thermacell works in the swamps of the Altamaha, it should work great in Bishop.

Thermocells work. Perfect for deer stand or turkey. Fishing is more active. You can cover up if cool enough. If not, deet is the most effective bug repellent. Repel 100 is about 98% deet with no strong perfume. Cheap too. You can find other brands, but none work better and I don't know of any better price.

I am going to try some picaridin for sure. Because deet is oily and smells pretty bad.

Last edited:
If you don't do well with bug repellent, just cover up everything once it gets cool enough. I can sit in 90 degrees in a stand or in Spring for turkeys fully covered with gloves, thick enough clothing, and mesh net over my head. But I work 4-5 hours a day in a warehouse that gets up to 106F+. So even at 90 degrees, covering up is no problem. But it sure is nice to fire up the thermacell and the bugs all but disappear after 10 minutes. Pull off the gloves and head net and relax.

joshh

FNG
I’ve had good luck with the thermacell

Yettiluke

FNG
I like permethrin for treating clothes and 100% deet products or as high as you can find for spray on.

Ratliff92

FNG
Permethrin. Mix some up and spray on. Works like a charm

TheCougar

WKR
Love my thermacell, but above 8k is is very difficult to light and above 9k it won’t light at all. I got tired of DEET ruining my gear, so I switched to picaridin. I found some super lightweight spray bottles by Sawyer. About the size of a marker.

Whats up Rokslide, I am going on a Fishing/Hiking trip up in Bishop, CA area and was told that the bugs/mosquitoes are crazy this year. So I was wondering what is the best bug repellent? Any advice that keeps me from being eaten alive helps! TY

I use thermacell products. The radius covers a nice big area.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I went up to the mountains to sight in my bow with some buddies and one of the guys said that hand sanitizer is the best. He said that the mosquitoes hate the alcohol in it and that since its so cheap its hard to beat. I have yet to try this method but was wondering if any one else has tried it?

Love my thermacell, but above 8k is is very difficult to light and above 9k it won’t light at all. I got tired of DEET ruining my gear, so I switched to picaridin. I found some super lightweight spray bottles by Sawyer. About the size of a marker.

The radius thermacell has no issues with lighting due to elevation. No butane in this particular system.

camecolb

FNG
If there is 1 mosquito in the room or yard, I get bit every time. The Deep Woods Off in the liquid pump spray bottle is the best repellent out there. It does not smell quite as bad as the aerosol version.