Best bullet for 6.5 creedmoor

tdot

WKR
Like lighter then 124 gr. ?
Oh ya. I'll be working up a load for Spring Bear for the 99 grain HH in my Rem260. Each season I seem to drop a weight class with the Hammer Hunters and results have only improved.

The increased stability and increased velocity of the smaller bullets seem to have a much greater impact to the overall killing power of the bullet vs the slight reduction in weight.

longjoshr

FNG
I've read a lot of negative comments about the ELD-X on other forums, mainly due to close range weight retention. The bullet is actually designed to have lower weight retention inside of 400 yards, so not sure why folks complain about this. Here's the excerpt from Hornady's site:

DEVASTATING CONVENTIONAL RANGE PERFORMANCE​

With high velocity 0-400 yard impact, the bullet continually expands throughout its penetration path. The thick shank of the jacket and high InterLock® ring keep the core and jacket together providing 50-60% weight retention.

BEST EXTENDED RANGE TERMINAL PERFORMANCE AVAILABLE​

Upon low-velocity 400+ yard impacts, the Heat Shield® tip drives backward into the bullet to initiate expansion. Exhibiting conventional expansion with a large mushroom and 85-90% retained weight the bullet provides deep penetration and large wound cavities.

Just thought it might be worth putting this info in front of folks. I've seen that 50-60% weight retention on closer shots, but it was certainly lethal!

h2so4

WKR
The Black Hills Gold with 130gr Dual Performance (controlled chaos) would be something interesting to check out if your looking for a new load. It’s an all-copper, machined bullet.

BFR

WKR
In reality it’s not “will” a certain bullet work, it’s what your rifle shoots well. Put a round through the vitals a Mulie will go down. Cup&core or Mono doesn’t matter to them, only to the hunter due to regulation or preferences. After 60+yrs I decided to try non-lead, couldn’t get any to group for me until I tried Hammers. Next step is using them on game this year. My reason for changing is my grandkids, they hunt with me every year, if it helps their health then that’s my goal.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions, the issue is I can’t find most of these in stock, thought there may be others I have not heard, or thought of. And yes there have been a few new ones I had not looked at.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I have noticed that Barnes like a bit of a jump to the rifling. Barnes recommends starting at 0.050 off and going in 0.010 increments. Barnes are usually extremely accurate if you want to give them a try. 120 ttsx or 127 LRX.

cooperjd

WKR
The 123gr absolute hammers are what I’m rocking next time I shoot at critters with the 6.5. The absolutes run faster than normal, I can get 3,100 with no pressure signs, but my rifle groups best around 3k. Need to have reloaded a bit to be able to watch for pressure as these bullets can be loaded with faster powder than normal for bullets in that weight.

I keep seeing to go lighter with the hammers and maybe one day I’ll get there.

I’m running the 172 AH in my 7rem mag at 3,115 right now with very very good accuracy. It’s a bit hot, so I’ll tone it down to 3050 or 3025 after my upcoming deer hunt. I have some 155s as well to play with in that gun (1:8” barrel). Those should easily rock 3200 fps and hopefully just as accurate.

The only hammers I’m having trouble with right now is the 178gr absolutes in a .300 wby. I need to order some hunters I think for that rifle and keep trying. At 3300fps they’d be devastating but I just can’t get them to group worth a poop.

z987k

WKR
I didn’t want to high jack the “ best non lead bullet”. I don’t need to use non lead bullets, but if they are better I don’t care if they cost more either. I bought a 6.5 creedmoor and will use it on deer and elk. I have looked at getting some of the non lead bullets to try. But if they are no better or worse I of course don’t want to waste my money either.
They're better, but only because you're not poisoning yourself. If you look at the studies of lead levels in hunters that use lead projectiles and the x-rays that are done of not only whole carcasses but ground meat, it'll quickly convince you to go away from lead if you're consuming what you're shooting.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of luck with the Hornady Precision Hunter 143 gr ELD-X. I've put it through a cheap rifle (with good glass) and shot steel targets out to 800 yards - no problem. Expansion has been incredible on whitetails, haven't used it on mulies yet but I'd imagine it would do the same.

Coueser

FNG
My favorite has been 143-eldx. For non-lead (hunted the kaibab), my favorite has been Barnes 127 lrx copper

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
My Bergara HMR hates Barnes loves Hornady and Nosler. My GF's Christensen loves Hornaday and Speer but hates Barnes and Nosler. My TC Compass truck guns hates everything but the Barnes and out-shoots all the other 6.5 Creeds I just mentioned. It's crazy my truck gun is lights out with my favorite...Barnes. Wish my HMR liked them. Soon I"m gonna run some Hammers through it hopefully they like each other. I'm sold on mono's have been for over a decade now.-WW

143 eldx killed lots of deer both mule deer and white tail. Then they work good on elk. I have only shot one time at an elk and killed one elk though so not a lot of data.
What yardage on the elk ? I shoot the 143 eldx also and awesome performance from 300-600 yards but on CA blacktail deer…much smaller than mule deer or elk.