Best bullet for GOAT

Dcrafton

WKR
I'm hoping to hunt goats this next year, I have three calibers to choose from. 25-06, 6.5x284, 300 wsm. I reload all of them, I understand shot placement is key but what bullet should I be looking towards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
Of the three, 300 wsm for sure. Goats are stout critters.

I wouldn't worry about the caliber so much unless I was hunting in Grizzly country then I would chose the 300wsm. I would worry more about the weight and would take the lightest set up I had. All three of those rifles with Accubonds, Barnes, or any quality bullet will take a goat.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I'm hoping to hunt goats this next year, I have three calibers to choose from. 25-06, 6.5x284, 300 wsm. I reload all of them, I understand shot placement is key but what bullet should I be looking towards

My vote is the 300wsm.

But what it comes down to is a good high shoulder shot. You don't want those critters having any fuel left in the tank!

Which one can you shoot consistently and have the most trust in?

When it comes to weight, yeah it sucks carrying a heavier gun. But I'll carry my 9# set up that I have all the faith in the world in until I find a lighter gun that impresses me as much as my remington 700 has.

Either gun you choose, be safe on the mountain and share your pics of your journey! Good luck!

Jimss

WKR
I"d go for the biggest, baddest caliber and bullet you have! I've been on around 14 goat hunts and all but 2 took multiple shots....some as many as 6 shots to get the goats down! The ones that took more than 3 shots were smallish calibers and bullets! The one that took 6 shots was a 270 after I repeatedly told the guy to bring his 30 06. I've been on probably 40 to 50 elk kills and most of them were cake compared to goats! Definitely go with 300 WSM....or bigger! I would rank mtn goats up there in the top 2 or 3 toughest big game species in N America to put on the ground!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
agree with Jimss. Goats are tough critters, whether talking Ibex at 14,000-ft or Mountain Goat below 10,000...they are stable and agile survivors. I've had double lung shot billies traverse crags as if unwounded.

Go with a strong 30 caliber with excellent mushroom capacity for cutting big holes and punching the life out quickly. I switched from a .30-06 to a .300 Weatherby and get it done.

All that said, shot placement and timing of the shot are the top winners in my book.

bcimport

WKR
Partitions would be my choice. Shot a goat a few weeks ago with hornady GMX handloads and was not impressed. I get more consistent results with old school bonded type lead bullets.

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
I think I'm going to start with 168 TSX and see how well they using H380. Any thoughts on Bergers ??

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I"d go for the biggest, baddest caliber and bullet you have! I've been on around 14 goat hunts and all but 2 took multiple shots....some as many as 6 shots to get the goats down! The ones that took more than 3 shots were smallish calibers and bullets! The one that took 6 shots was a 270 after I repeatedly told the guy to bring his 30 06. I've been on probably 40 to 50 elk kills and most of them were cake compared to goats! Definitely go with 300 WSM....or bigger! I would rank mtn goats up there in the top 2 or 3 toughest big game species in N America to put on the ground!

Same here. Of the 24 goats I have seen shot...only 4 have been bang flops.

The rest took some extra convincing to jump in the freezer.

I have seen a few critters shot with bergers now and while their great BC bucks the wind better for long distance and carry the energy better out at distance certainly but the shots I have seen inside 500 yards I am less than impressed than what I have seen from Barnes TTSX or any bonded bullets like accubond or sciroccos.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a hornady TSS in a 338 win. mag .[ Kimber Montana] They worked well. Read my post" Ak. goat" below.

Jimss

WKR
Just as important as shot placement is location on the mountain of the goat before the shot. Goats are notoriously known for "death leaps" after shots. All but a couple of the goats mentioned in my post above ended up several hundred yards from where they were shot. Most rolled off cliffs and down shale/rocky chutes. One billy actually broke his skull plate in 1/2 during his tumble down the mountain! I was amazed both horns were in-tact. Definitely keep in mind where your goat may end up prior to your shot!

The goat I shot this fall in Alaska took the first lung shot like nothing happened. The 2nd shot through the shoulder and lungs he did a death dive over the saddle he was on and rolled 500 yards down a grassy hillside. If he wouldn't have come to rest on a giant boulder he would have rolled several hundred more yards down a rocky chute into the ibis! He took 2 shots from a 300 WSM through the lungs/shoulder with 180 grain Nosler partitions like nothing happened! I didn't even see him flinch after each shot. Bring several sharp knives for caping and boning your goat...you'll need them all! Their cape, hides, and bones are super thick. I'd also recommend bringing a bunch of paper towels to stuff in it's mouth, nose, bullet holes, and soak up blood as you cape out your goat to prevent blood from spreading all over the nice white cape.

I had an easy 100 yard shot at a billy a couple hours earlier but he was standing on a ledge of a 100' cliff. It definitely pays to wait it out for goats to wander to a spot where they won't create a bloody mess, break off horn tips, or beat up their capes on sharp rocks.

Jimss

WKR
Obviously a 22 would kill a goat but is it smart or ethical? Is it possible to kill a cape buffalo with a 243 and 80 cal bullet? Just like any game it's a matter of hitting them in the right spot. With smaller calibers and bullets there is a lot better chance they will end up in steep, nasty places with broken horns, beat up bodies, multiple bullet holes, and blood all over their capes! I'm sticking with what I said in my first post...."use the biggest, baddest caliber you have!"

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Please keep in mind that goats are narrower than you might imagine. They stand walk tiny ledges on vertical rock.
Are goats "tough" or are "premium bullets" not transfering enough energy, requiring subsequent shots?

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
A good fast expanding bullet may also be an option, I have heard that train of thought as well for goats, this is why I asked the question. I've been on one hunt with a friend of mine and with a 300 mag and a standard hunting bullet. The goat was shot in his bed, stood up took three steps and fell about 300 yards, broke the right horn and messed up his cape. I hope to test a few different bullets for accuracy and hope from others experience with types I should look to use. Thanks so far for the good info. I am taking notes.

Jimss

WKR
Another consideration is the hump and hair on a mature billies back. The dorsal end of goat vertebrae are taller than most big game and the hair on a goats back extends well above the vertebrae. With that said, you can easily shoot a little higher than desired if you don't keep that in consideration. Also, keep in mind the bullet entry/exit angle when shooting steep uphill or downhill shots.

Obviously a 22 would kill a goat but is it smart or ethical? Is it possible to kill a cape buffalo with a 243 and 80 cal bullet? Just like any game it's a matter of hitting them in the right spot. With smaller calibers and bullets there is a lot better chance they will end up in steep, nasty places with broken horns, beat up bodies, multiple bullet holes, and blood all over their capes! I'm sticking with what I said in my first post...."use the biggest, baddest caliber you have!"
Not questioning whether a goat can be killed with a 22. Nor am I questioning whether a 243 will take down a cape buffalo.
Obviously you have more experience in hunting goats than I do. Perhaps I read your response wrong, but are you saying it is unethical to hunt a goat with a 243 and an 80gr bullet?