Best Buy on Cushy Truck Camping Mat

TexasCub

WKR
I have a lot of experience with lightweight backpacking pads but never have really bought a truck camping pad. I built a sleeping platform in the back of my truck under a cap for fishing and short hunting trips and am looking for a reliable comfy pad with some insulation. Really close to pulling the trigger on a Exped Mega Mat 10 for $159 right now but thought I’d see if there’s another option. Platform is 72x34 so I’ve got lots of room for the bigger pads. Any other reccomendations?

Attachments

• 8924CA19-99BB-468F-92F0-0D6EA2E2FBBE.jpeg
    8924CA19-99BB-468F-92F0-0D6EA2E2FBBE.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 111

Whitty

FNG
I had 2 of the twin size foam egg crate dealio's and stuck my backpacking pad in between for my platform setup. Worked good enough that I have considered buying a 3-4" thick memory foam mattress topper and just using that. Just another idea since space isn't an issue in the truck.

a 3-4" thick memory foam mattress topper and just using that.

That is exactly what I did. A Walmart queen sized memory foam topper cut in half. Gives 2 cot-size mattresses. I have one on my truck bed and one on a cot as a spare bed in the house. I use both on rollacots, in the wall tent at basecamp....

OP
T

TexasCub

WKR
I considered the memory foam route but a buddy told me he made the mistake of using one in cold temperatures during last years elk hunt and he said the cold reaked havoc on it. It got really cold and hard and had no squish to it, the thing stayed contorted to his body and wouldn’t uncontort. He said never again!

eamyrick

WKR
i use the rei camp pad 3.5 xl in the bed of my truck. it serves its purpose and it’s warm.

This is what I use. Probably 50 or so nights on them so far. Two of us spent 7 nights in the back of my truck last mule deer season on two of them. Better than sleeping at home in bed.

slowelk

WKR
I use a large thermarest luxury map for the back of my pickup, on top of a decked, and in wall tent camp on my cot. It's fantastic.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't know about best buy, but I have had one of these for about 10 years. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Baron85

WKR
I had a exped mega double, and currently have the rei camp 3.5 and a cabelas self inflating camp pad that looks similar to the exped.

All 3 have been good and don’t really have a preference between them.

OP
T

TexasCub

WKR
Well the Megamat came in and man is that thing plush! I’ve never laid on a more comfortable pad, the fact that it also, has a R value of 9 doesn’t hurt!

Mine cost 90 bucks from an upholstery shop...custom made to fit my bed using closed foam. It's perfect.

Last edited:

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I think you guys have got it all wrong if you're purely looking for truck camping mat. The paco pads are awesome, and indestructible so that'd be a good fit. They are fairly pricey however. If you want the best bang for your buck look at a "narrow twin" RV mattress. There are several on amazon for under a hundred if you look. I bought the brand "Zinus" to replace the mattresses in my camper, and just haul those for truck camping. They make for cushy sleeping. They make a tri-fold version thats easier to store. 3" for 55 bucks or 5" for 90 bucks. If you want a solid mattress(without the tri-folds) they have those as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Tri-Fo...sprefix=narrow+twin,sporting,202&sr=8-16&th=1