best caliber for coyotes?

Spoonbill

WKR
Hey everybody just wondering what y’all think is the best caliber for coyote hunting and also any preferences on rifles, meaning models and brands. Thank you everybody
If you are looking to buy a new rifle, ammo is going to be hard to find. That said, I have seen 204 ruger and 6mm creedmoor in stock, if that affects your decision at all. I think the ruger american is available in 6mm creedmoor still, good cheap rifle. You have a budget in mind?

Thats already splitting hairs. The 6mm rounds are so much more versatile - I can run a 58gr vmax at close to 4000 fps as well in my 6CM. To each their own.
You are right. Something that shoots 1.5" tighter is just "splitting hairs" :)

Have you tried shooting the 58 V max @4k fps? I'm assuming you have at least a 1-8 twist to shoot 108's. I just talked to Hornady about this 2 weeks ago. They said they only recommend 300,000 rpm's max for the V max. If you have a 1-8 and shoot the 58's @4k fps you would be spinning them 360,000 rpm's. Do thy even make it to the target?

You are right. Something that shoots 1.5" tighter is just "splitting hairs" :)

Have you tried shooting the 58 V max @4k fps? I'm assuming you have at least a 1-8 twist to shoot 108's. I just talked to Hornady about this 2 weeks ago. They said they only recommend 300,000 rpm's max for the V max. If you have a 1-8 and shoot the 58's @4k fps you would be spinning them 360,000 rpm's. Do thy even make it to the target?
It is splitting hairs when we are talking killing coyotes 300 yards and in. I have had way fewer runners after the shot with the 6mm’s shooting 108’s than I have with the 204 and the 223.

It is a 1:8 and they hold together. I am at 3850 ish fps and haven’t had an issue with the 58gr vmax coming apart.

TDawg

FNG
Thought I would throw my two cents in... because that's all I have left after buying guns and ammo. LOL

Seriously though, about 15 years ago I went in a quest to find the "best" fur friendly predator gun I could afford. I had years/decades of experience calling coyotes, and I wanted a gun/ammo combo that caused minimal damage to pelts. I've long been a fan of a 22-250, but if you caught a bone or hit them a tad high, it resulted in me sewing more than I cared.

I was a bit over anal, and created a chart of various calibers, guns, and bullets. Sometimes price ruled out a gun. I'm far from rich and was on fairly tight budget.

Back then the .204 Ruger was pretty new. I liked what I read on performance, but bullet options were few. I took a chance and bought a new Howa 1500 heavy barrel, reloading dies, bullets, cases, etc. Mounted a new scope, worked up several test loads and bullet types, and went to the range. Loved this gun! Sub MOA right out of the box. Berger 40gr HP were grouping with three holes touching.

Hunted that year and shot several coyotes. Bullets were not performing. Blowing up/splashing on impact. I was ready to throw the .204 out the window. Not many bullet options other than frangible.

That year Hornady introduced the 45 grain SP. Did some research and decided to give them a try.

Long story short, these are the cats meow! No fur damage. I've been using this gun-load combo ever since. I've killed coyotes out to 400-500 with these.

Only problem now is that Hornady quit making the 45 gr SP.

Last edited:
I built a $3000 22-250 that hammered coyotes and tore them up a bit.

Then I bought a $500 ruger American .204. Put it in a chassis, and it absolutely HAMMERS coyotes. Very rarely exits. Shoots 35 and 40 grain Bergers with ridiculous accuracy.

One and done out to 300 so far. Have had 1 exit in 10 coyotes.

d7300eb476c2bda6ad5f142deb263cae.jpg

7925f9d43b09fa94a9931c7069bb41e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TDawg

FNG
I had the same tack driving accuracy from 40 gr Bergers. My only issue was splashing and not penetrating, especially at closer ranges (50-125 yards).

2.365 OAL damn you got them babies flat stretched out. There can't be much neck holding on to the bullet at that length but they sure do shoot well so keep at it.

Yeah they are long. I couldn’t run the 35s that long but the 40s work. Pushing them little sucker at 4040 FPS!

B23

WKR
Yeah they are long. I couldn’t run the 35s that long but the 40s work. Pushing them little sucker at 4040 FPS!
Yeah I used to have a 204 and your OAL caught my eye because the 40gr Bergers aren't all that long anyway so you can't have but about .050 thou of bullet in the neck but who cares if shoots like that.

I shoot that same bullet in my 20-222 but just not nearly as fast and it stacks them up into tiny little groups.

I'm surprised to hear TDawg having splashes with the 40gr Bergers because the 35 and 40 Bergers are often "THE" choice for 20 cal yote shooters because the don't splash like many of the tipped bullets.

Yeah I used to have a 204 and your OAL caught my eye because the 40gr Bergers aren't all that long anyway so you can't have but about .050 thou of bullet in the neck but who cares if shoots like that.

I shoot that same bullet in my 20-222 but just not nearly as fast and it stacks them up into tiny little groups.

I'm surprised to hear TDawg having splashes with the 40gr Bergers because the 35 and 40 Bergers are often "THE" choice for 20 cal yote shooters because the don't splash like many of the tipped bullets.

I agree, I load for a buddies 204 and the Bergers flat out shoot and anchor coyotes.
I haven’t even had one spinner this year!

TDawg

FNG
Might have to check my bullets. I know they are 40 gr Berger, but older yellow box. Could they be target versus varmint? I'll let you know, but they sure did not penetrate. I shot one coyote three times with them... 50 yards, then again at 50 when he got up, then at about 15 yards when he sat up again as I walked up to him.

Might have to check my bullets. I know they are 40 gr Berger, but older yellow box. Could they be target versus varmint? I'll let you know, but they sure did not penetrate. I shot one coyote three times with them... 50 yards, then again at 50 when he got up, then at about 15 yards when he sat up again as I walked up to him.

That’s crazy I haven’t had one even twitch from 68 yards to 300. They flat out put them in the dirt (usually snow but not this year!) I think the 35s honestly do a tiny bit better but the 40s shot so good I didn’t even mess with them. Biggest exit I have had with the 40s was inside 80 and it was quarter size

TDawg

FNG
Confirmed... Berger 40's, BT hollow points. Pics below. These were splashing for me. I don't recall the exact load data, but roughly 25 grains of Ramshot TAC, Winchester brass, CCI primers, out of my Howa 1500. This was an extremely accurate load when testing at 100 yards. One enlarged hole with a light clover leaf shape.

I have no idea why they were splashing. The very first coyote I shot with the Bergers was right between the eyes at 125 yards (only shot I had as he staired at me through a loophole in the brush). Went down like a ton of bricks. Kept calling and got distracted. Afterwards when I went to pick up the first coyote, all I found was a blood spot about 3 inches in diameter and fresh scat. I think I literally knocked the crap out of him, and the coyote got up and left, never to be seen again.

Currently shooting Hornady 45gr SP, 24.8gr H4895, CCI primers, and mixed brass (Winchester and Hornady). Pushing about 3550fps. Can still shoot three shot groups like a clover leaf... all touching. They usually do not exit, but when they do, they leave a small (less than dime size) hole. I love this load, but they quit making the bullet.

Attachments

• 20210201_200803.jpg
    20210201_200803.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210201_200850.jpg
    20210201_200850.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 41

AngeloTX

FNG
If you want a quick kills that leaves room for error, I'd go with a cal. that shoots 50+ grain bullets accurately. I've shot yotes with a .204's with 35 gr. bergers (love my .204, most accurate gun I own), but I grab the trusty 22-250 with 50-55 grainers when hunting competitions. Of course, the larger calibers will be just fine if that is what you like to shoot.
NOTE: I've used V-Max bullets and while over 90% of the time, it's a sledge hammer, those quartering to or away shots can splash due to hitting bone and make for a difficult tracking job. I've had that happen a number of times. It sucks when it's a big cat.

mtnlomo

FNG
In this day and age I would say whatever rounds you can get your hands on and shoot through an accurate gun. For that reason we love 223, but depending on where you hunt and how far the shot opportunities normally are, you may consider something that shoots a touch faster and flatter. That being said, I've killed more coyotes with a Ruger 10/22 off a four wheeler or farm truck than any other gun.

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve shot a bunch with .204, .223 and 22-250. They all work, but the 22-250 hammers them. I get the most “runners” with the .204, but they usually die. I’m partial to my Proof Custom 22-250.