best caliber for coyotes?

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is most guys that say they want a gun/bullet to save fur, don't bother to.
That said, my favorite will always be a 17 Remington. Followed closely by a 20P. Both shooting Berger Varmint bullets. 25 and 35 gr respectfully. But our shots are almost always under 300.
DSCN3352.jpg

Last edited:
Great info here guys! I have struggled with the .223 the last couple of years. 50-60 grain vmax out of a short barreled AR creates a lot of runners, unless you can take that perfect broadside shot behind the shoulder or square in the chest. I used 22-250 and 243 in the past, with great success. Haven't put the AR to bed yet, still testing some different bullets to see how they do on the not so great shots.

Cheezhd

FNG
Shooting a DPMS sweet 16 with a bull barrel topped with a bdc nikon scope, shooting pmc 55gr. I hunt with dogs and it's a blast!!but for long range I'm shooting a 6.5-284 Gunwerks magnus!!

Has anyone shot any with 22 creedmoor I don’t have one but it seems like it would be a great predator round

Depends on the distance I can shoot but if the shooting zone is 400 or less then 223 and if there are shots beyond that the 243 comes out.

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider
If your criteria includes cost to buy/shoot and availability of platforms/ammo, it’s hard to argue for any round over a .223 Rem/5.56 (yes, availability of everything is poor right now). Bolt and AR options are endless.

If you reload, want a low recoil round with a high BC bullet, and available in AR or bolt, the 6.5 Grendel is a good one. I’ve built both guns and I shoot the Grendel AR more. I save my brass and bargain hunt bullets, so cost to shoot is nearly the same. Wind drift at 600 yds is closer to .308 than .223.

6 ARC would be better yet (barely), but I don’t have personal experience.

Sogan

FNG
.223 for me. Just for the simple fact that factory options are available anywhere, if I don’t feel like reloading that month

netman

WKR
I have killed more coyotes with a17 Remington than any other caliber. 220 Swift was my kill gun for contest.
I am and have always been a fur man. I hunt coyotes for their fur and only kill them out of fur season when their causing trouble.
I found the Hornady 50 grain SPSX was very fur friendly in my Swift. That’s all I shoot in it.
I got burned out on hunting every night after work and have taken a few years off.
Recently my old calling buddies asked me to come out with them one night. I said sure.
We hunted with a suppressed AR with a thermal scope and thermal scanner. We operated in total darkness for the few hours we were out.
I had a blast and came home telling my wife about all this new technology.
Well now I have a AR that I’m building in 6x6.8. 1:10 twist. Looking at shooting a .243 58 grain Vmax at or around 3400 FPS. The gun is all done except the barrel which should be here in the next week.
I just ordered a Super Hogster and a 640 Phenom.
Looks like I’ll be back Night Stalking again...

Split toe

WKR
I have killed more coyotes with a17 Remington than any other caliber. 220 Swift was my kill gun for contest.
I am and have always been a fur man. I hunt coyotes for their fur and only kill them out of fur season when their causing trouble.
I found the Hornady 50 grain SPSX was very fur friendly in my Swift. That’s all I shoot in it.
I got burned out on hunting every night after work and have taken a few years off.
Recently my old calling buddies asked me to come out with them one night. I said sure.
We hunted with a suppressed AR with a thermal scope and thermal scanner. We operated in total darkness for the few hours we were out.
I had a blast and came home telling my wife about all this new technology.
Well now I have a AR that I’m building in 6x6.8. 1:10 twist. Looking at shooting a .243 58 grain Vmax at or around 3400 FPS. The gun is all done except the barrel which should be here in the next week.
I just ordered a Super Hogster and a 640 Phenom.
Looks like I’ll be back Night Stalking again...
Welcome back to the game. I love thermal hunting.

.224 Valkyrie shooting federal premium 60 grain nosler ballistic tip dead on @ 50 = dead on @ 250 and only -3.5" low @ 300

netman

WKR
My buddy and I put our heads together for our new rifles and decided we are going to try out the Nosler BT Varminter 70 grain this season. We just ordered several boxes. I’m concerned they are not going to be fur friendly