Best caliber for fur?

I’m curious as to everyone’s opinion on which caliber is best at minimizing fur damage. I’m looking at getting a little extra coin with some coyote pelts this winter. Thanks in advance!

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I have always liked the .224 caliber, you can get lite weight to heavy weight, high b.c. if needed, tons of types of bullets. For dogs the last year or so I have been running 69 tmk and not running them any faster then 3200 and they have been doing great on fur. I usually in the past have ran a 52 to 55 grain tipped or hp and done well.

Speed, placement and bullet is what to look at

Currently shooting a 40grain vmax out of my 223. Never seen it pass through. Not even on a woodchuck

Venatic

FNG
You didn’t say with factory ammo or reloads.....Can’t go wrong with 17 centerfire. In 223 ammo loaded with 60 gr VMax is hard to beat if you can find it.
Once you get up to 22-250 it’s all about shot placement and no bullet is going to be 100% fur friendly.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I use 204 with 40 gr vmax. I’ve heard of some people using fmj so you just end up with two little holes but I imagine you get some runners like that

tsm213

FNG
I got into trapping last winter. And after skinning and fleshing a few I don’t think you can go wrong with any small caliber bullet. I tore a couple holes fleshing and they weren’t even noticeable when i flipped them fur out. I’ve shot them with a .223 and the holes I made were nothing to worry about. If you hit some bones you could tear some shit up. Just make sure you find your bullet hole before you pull the hide down in that area. The hide is stuck on pretty good and you have to pull hard.
Lots of guys up here in Saskatchewan use fmj bullets.
They best way is power ram snares lol. And good luck trying to make money haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Block

WKR
The other factor is that obv the smaller caliber is a little better on fur if shot placement is equal ... but for a shot that’s not absolutely perfect,,, you will find more animals with a bigger caliber.. somewhere in beteen lies a perfect happy medium.. 22-250 or .223 is what I use mostly ,,. Too many get away with the 17hmr if shot ain’t perfect

Laramie

WKR
.223 is my go to. I think everyone should have at least one. Ammo is so easily available and the caliber is actually pretty versatile. Even with standard soft points, exits are rarely more than 1" on dogs.