Best camcorder Microphone? Canon

Looking to put a shotgun mic on my Canon Vixia HF R20. I was curious if anyone on here had any experience running on this camera or another vixia and what mics you used for filming outdoors?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hands down the Rode Micro. Be sure it has a windscreen, looks like fur, for the wind noise and you'll be golden. That's what I use on all my professional cameras for jobs. Small, doesn't take any external batteries or have on/off switches and it sounds great.

OP
trickytross
Hands down the Rode Micro. Be sure it has a windscreen, looks like fur, for the wind noise and you'll be golden. That's what I use on all my professional cameras for jobs. Small, doesn't take any external batteries or have on/off switches and it sounds great.
I was looking at that one pretty hard. Cant find a bad review of it. My Camera is old and I may have to DIY how it mounts

Is there no gain available on the Micro? I ask because I have the VideoMic Pro and find the different gain settings to be pretty useful. As with all gear I think learning to use it will enhance your experience. In my experience the microphones aren't just plug and play...as in you can get better results with a little effort and learning.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there no gain available on the Micro? I ask because I have the VideoMic Pro and find the different gain settings to be pretty useful. As with all gear I think learning to use it will enhance your experience. In my experience the microphones aren't just plug and play...as in you can get better results with a little effort and learning.

I control the gain completely out of my camera. I’ve had issues with on mic gain control and how it works with the in camera gain. Seemed always best to leave the gain at 0 on the mic and set the gain inside the camera anyways. I definitely know how to use my camera/audio equipment and for the money, weight, size and quality the Micro is pretty damn hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
The only consideration against the VideoMicro is if the R20 uses the same noisy pre-amps that some of the Canon DSLR bodies do. The ability to boost the gain from the mic on the VideoMicPro and other mics helps to cut down on a lot of the hiss and noise being recorded. That said, I use a VideoMicro with my Canon 80D and it's acceptable. You can definitely hear the hiss, but a lot of the places I hunt are windy and noisy to begin with so it doesn't really matter to me. If I were trying to film something like a turkey hunt where you are trying to capture a lot of quieter sounds then maybe it's worth the ability to boost the gain in the mic vs. the camera.

Bueltcm

FNG
I’ve also used a Sennheiser MKe400 and liked it. It is a little smaller than most, although it takes batteries, the battery life is amazing. Just remember to turn it on.... doh.