Best clothing lines for backpack sheep hunting?

Don’t kid yourself, Vias is one of the best at blending in in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn’t agree more.
342443a3540ec9605abc55a66b872cab.jpg

f4d8545ca842426d5a3663bb00dd5066.jpg

9c60d41d63fc256c178194d1268aa02e.jpg

9a79b6c8977d4a1ab2a4ade05c0d8922.jpg

59807f8e9eac0add1caa0c7d5a47fca0.jpg

5a7379a6b5d2313697ccec914cd5c188.jpg

OP
Geetar

Geetar

FNG
Wow it does blend in good! My only experience with it was from shopping online and seeing against a white background but it from these pics I can see it looks and works great in a real situation. Pardon my ignorant comment earlier.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Wow it does blend in good! My only experience with it was from shopping online and seeing against a white background but it from these pics I can see it looks and works great in a real situation. Pardon my ignorant comment earlier.

Vias and verde are both awesome, I have a lot of both of them. Took me longer to warm up to the Vias but once I realized how well it works I was sold.

FlyGuy

WKR
The only sheep I’ve hunted are Aoudad and mouflon in TX, so take all this with a grain of salt...

I wouldn’t let the clothing brand trip you up. It can certainly be done without the top brand names in hunting clothing.

BUT.... if you have the funds, you won’t be sorry about investing in the premium duds. There is a reason companies Like Sitka and Kuiu have such loyal, fanatic customers - and its way more than the “look” of the camo.

I’m a big Sitka fan myself but I can tell you that the clothing is designed for hunting activities. The pockets are where you want them to be, the layers are exactly right, and the systems work. Feeling comfortable and feeling confident is a HUGE part of being successful. We all know that the mental game is the toughest part about hunting, but few want to really acknowledge how things like clothing impact that - either positively or negatively.

Maybe I’m alone in this, but I tend to think about it this way: Each piece of (core) gear in your kit either adds to or detracts from your confidence level. I am only talking about the mental aspect here. For example-If you’ve Upgraded your optics to the level required for sheep hunting, then even when the hunting is really slow you are going to expect to see sheep. That makes you glass better and longer b/c you have confidence in your gear. You won’t get frustrated from wondering if you can’t find sheep b/c they really aren’t there or b/c of your “good enough” optics just aren’t cutting it.

Conversely, If you are Still carrying around that old backpack from academy sports, and in the back of your head you know you need to upgrade, then when that hunt gets tough on day 5 you will not be thinking about anything else besides how it’s the pack that’s holding you back from your full potential. While It may not actually hurt your shoulders anymore than a $1000 one would, once your mind starts going there it gets hard to pull it back on track.

I am not trying to say that you have to have the very best gear to be successful, or that the gear makes the hunter, yada yada... lots and lots of folks get it done without the best.

But, At the end of the day, If you aren’t comfortable and confident you are eventually going to talk yourself into coming down off that mtn early, and that makes for a really long ride home.

For me the clothing is as important of a mental aspect in that regard as my weapon. What did Snyder say one time? something like “if putting on those $200 pants makes you feel like a bad-ass hunter, then you ARE a bad-ass hunter!”

Eventually, if you are serious about this stuff, you are going to end up investing in the stuff anyway. Almost everyone does. If you need to put $ towards other gear this year then by all means work on you optics or sleep system, etc. But, if the money isn’t really holding you back, I feel like diving in on the clothing can enhance your overall experience.

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
Geetar

Geetar

FNG
The only sheep I’ve hunted are Aoudad and mouflon in TX, so take all this with a grain of salt...

I wouldn’t let the clothing brand trip you up. It can certainly be done without the top brand names in hunting clothing.

BUT.... if you have the funds, you won’t be sorry about investing in the premium duds. There is a reason companies Like Sitka and Kuiu have such loyal, fanatic customers - and its way more than the “look” of the camo.

I’m a big Sitka fan myself but I can tell you that the clothing is designed for hunting activities. The pockets are where you want them to be, the layers are exactly right, and the systems work. Feeling comfortable and feeling confident is a HUGE part of being successful. We all know that the mental game is the toughest part about hunting, but few want to really acknowledge how things like clothing impact that - either positively or negatively.

Maybe I’m alone in this, but I tend to think about it this way: Each piece of (core) gear in your kit either adds to or detracts from your confidence level. I am only talking about the mental aspect here. For example-If you’ve Upgraded your optics to the level required for sheep hunting, then even when the hunting is really slow you are going to expect to see sheep. That makes you glass better and longer b/c you have confidence in your gear. You won’t get frustrated from wondering if you can’t find sheep b/c they really aren’t there or b/c of your “good enough” optics just aren’t cutting it.

Conversely, If you are Still carrying around that old backpack from academy sports, and in the back of your head you know you need to upgrade, then when that hunt gets tough on day 5 you will not be thinking about anything else besides how it’s the pack that’s holding you back from your full potential. While It may not actually hurt your shoulders anymore than a $1000 one would, once your mind starts going there it gets hard to pull it back on track.

I am not trying to say that you have to have the very best gear to be successful, or that the gear makes the hunter, yada yada... lots and lots of folks get it done without the best.

But, At the end of the day, If you aren’t comfortable and confident you are eventually going to talk yourself into coming down off that mtn early, and that makes for a really long ride home.

For me the clothing is as important of a mental aspect in that regard as my weapon. What did Snyder say one time? something like “if putting on those $200 pants makes you feel like a bad-ass hunter, then you ARE a bad-ass hunter!”

Eventually, if you are serious about this stuff, you are going to end up investing in the stuff anyway. Almost everyone does. If you need to put $ towards other gear this year then by all means work on you optics or sleep system, etc. But, if the money isn’t really holding you back, I feel like diving in on the clothing can enhance your overall experience.

Thanks for the advice. There is definitely a mental advantage when wearing the right stuff. You have to have skills too and that is more important but if you bring you skills and combine that with the right gear success levels do come up. At least it seems that way.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
All great points to consider. I've been building my gear this past year (from zero) for a upcoming goat hunt in September. I've saved quite a bit of money buying one piece at a time second hand on eBay. Kuiu resale is pretty strong. I also wait for Kuiu's periodic clearance sales ($85 off their puffy pants last week.) It's all about having the time to search and wait out the bargains. That said, REI, Backcountry and Steep & Cheap are always offering closeout specials!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

All of this is spot on. One thing else to consider is your personal preference. I am from some where that is hot as hell. I get cold easy. If i get cold I will want to quit. Especially if its in my hands. Do you really need big down gloves and down pants for a September high country hunt with night time lows in the 40's? You probably not. I do for sure. Vetting your clothing at the temps your going to be at is super important at least for me when dealing with cold weather gear that gets used for 2 months a year here.

Snyd

WKR
hmmm, no camo and no scopes....

emweiler1.jpg

?????? hip boots and maybe a carhart coat??? nawww.... must be photoshopped!!

Either that or the sheep of old were blind....

snow3.jpg

Bib overalls??? The guy must have had these 3 rams just walk into camp....

sheep3.jpg

Same with this guy...

1.jpg

OP
Geetar

Geetar

FNG
Great pics! Also back before sheep hunts were pretty much once in a lifetime events because of cost and difficulty having to draw tags

JCohHTX

FNG
Can't speak to sheep, but First Lite Merino is the most comfortable next to skin wool that I have found.

Great pics! Also back before sheep hunts were pretty much once in a lifetime events because of cost and difficulty having to draw tags

Not in Alaska. A sheep hunt can be an annual event, and for as little as the cost of a tank of gas, in some cases. Hell, the tags are even free, and once you hit 60, so are the licenses.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not in Alaska. A sheep hunt can be an annual event, and for as little as the cost of a tank of gas, in some cases. Hell, the tags are even free, and once you hit 60, so are the licenses.

That’s why I moved to AK, I Had already drawn my bighorn tag and wasn’t expecting to get another anytime soon.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
hmmm, no camo and no scopes....

emweiler1.jpg

?????? hip boots and maybe a carhart coat??? nawww.... must be photoshopped!!

Either that or the sheep of old were blind....

snow3.jpg

Bib overalls??? The guy must have had these 3 rams just walk into camp....

sheep3.jpg

Same with this guy...

1.jpg

Cool pics, you certainly don’t need the latest greatest camp and tech fabrics but they sure do seem to help.

OP
Geetar

Geetar

FNG

Alaska seems better everytime I learn something about it like this. I live in lower 48 so I’d have to move there but it might be worth it.

I'm a garage sale of mixed and matched stuff on the mountains. Sitka, Kuiu, Mountain Hardwear, SG, First Lite, Arcteryx, OR...whatever fits best and seems the most likely to succeed in the weight categories gets used.

RCB

WKR
As far as I can tell, there are only two differences between hunting-specific outdoor gear companies and the others: camo and marketing. I don't particularly care about either. No disrespect to the hunting gear companies - I'm sure they make a solid product. But I don't see the need to limit oneself to them, unless you want camo.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
Can't speak to sheep, but First Lite Merino is the most comfortable next to skin wool that I have found.

Bought the boxers about 3 weeks ago. Wore them at home for a few days and then did the sniff test. Wife caught me smelling my underwear and might have had a few questions. Though being a hunter she realizes I'm not all there sometimes. After the test I didn't smell much of anything and it did feel good next to my skin and most wool drives me crazy. Bought 2 more pairs.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu Verde is awesome looking the VIAS looks like something you wear sheep hunting on the moon lol

I thought the same thing. Now I can see an application for the VIAS but I don't own any. I do own a ton of the verde 2.0 and I would struggle to buy the VIAS.

Camo patterns are more for the hunter than the hunted. I'm more about the technical nature of the fabric than the color. The last few items I bought from KUIU were actually solids. Don't forget about solids. One of my favorite outfits to wear while hunting elk is a pair of black pants and a camo top of some sort. It will really break up your outline. Your head and shoulder profile is another good one to break up and be very aware of when in the field. Critters will pick that up fast.

OP
Geetar

Geetar

FNG
@recurveman sounds like you’ve got a good system going! When you heading in? Or is it next year for you in the unlimiteds? Can’t remember. I know we talked some on Hunt Talk.