Best clothing option for SWVA weather?

dtwn08

FNG
I'd like some input on Sitka, First Lite, & Kuiu for those that are in the Appalachians/Smokies. I do mostly saddle hunting and temps usually aren't extremely frigid. Your occasional 15-20 degree morning on late December hunts are about as cold as it will get. I've been looking and researching but I'd like to get the knowledge from the folks that have worn the products. Price isn't necessarily a huge factor sense I'm willing to bite this bullet one time. Any input and knowledge is appreciated!

Drenalin

WKR
Sitka, in general, is probably your best bet for what you've described. I hunt nearby but in a different way and mix in stuff from several manufacturers. They each have pros and cons to the different layers they make, but Sitka is the most geared toward whitetail stand hunting.

I use some combination of Stone Glacier, First Lite, Sitka, Kuiu, and Outdoor Research. There's really no one right answer.

OP
D

dtwn08

FNG
Sitka, in general, is probably your best bet for what you've described. I hunt nearby but in a different way and mix in stuff from several manufacturers. They each have pros and cons to the different layers they make, but Sitka is the most geared toward whitetail stand hunting.

I use some combination of Stone Glacier, First Lite, Sitka, Kuiu, and Outdoor Research. There's really no one right answer.
Thanks for that. Any particular set that you've had that are warmer than others? Pros/Cons?

Drenalin

WKR
Thanks for that. Any particular set that you've had that are warmer than others? Pros/Cons?
I use a pretty standard layering system. Stone Glacier Chinook merino base, First Lite Sawtooth mid layer (also mix in a Sitka heavyweight hoodie, Kuiu Peloton 240, and a Sitka Stratus depending), Kuiu Kenai jacket, and Outdoor Research Foray shell (I rarely wear this one). Other stuff I mix in are the Kuiu Peloton 97 and the Kenai pants. But I stopped hunting out of a stand a few years ago - I hike quite a bit even whitetail hunting and only sit for a couple hours at a time.

The new Proximity stuff from Kuiu is promising (there are some reviews going on Rokslide now), and have always heard good stuff about Sitka's Fanatic. The reason I mentioned Sitka in my first post is because they have historically done far better with windstopper than First Lite or Kuiu, but they might have figured that out with the latest Proximity and Solitude lines.

OP
D

dtwn08

FNG
Sitka with windstopper.
First lite merino underneath
Do you hunt these similar conditions? I've read good things on the first lite baselayer but also do not want to absolutely burn up on the way in. I'm not a large man by no means but maybe a half mile walk in. Don't necessarily want to strip down to the skeebees to dress at the base but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Do you hunt these similar conditions? I've read good things on the first lite baselayer but also do not want to absolutely burn up on the way in. I'm not a large man by no means but maybe a half mile walk in. Don't necessarily want to strip down to the skeebees to dress at the base but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
I hunt the Southern Appalachians. You can buy the zip off long johns and dress at the tree.
I like to wear a Stratus or fanatic bib, unzip the legs totally, unzip the long handles totally and walk in with bare legs. Makes climbing less sweaty.
But I cannot recommend Sitka windstopper enough. Changed how I layer for winter in a tree.