Best CO Unit For 17 Points?

Hey everyone so my grandpa has accumulated 17 pref points in Colorado over the years and I am finally making him apply for this upcoming season before he gets too old and can't get around as well as he can now. According to Toprut the best unit to use up all of his points is unit 49, can anyone attest to that? He wants to go during muzzleloader season so he can take one with his Hawken. I would appreciate any advice on that unit or any other unit he could get with 17 points. I'm still pretty green when it comes to elk!

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
how good of shape is he in? 49 is pretty rough... I’d be hunting elk at timberline that time of year.

It’s the muzzleloading that really limits him. If he went 1st rifle instead, that would open up lots more options. But as stated, if you hunt unit 49 muzzleloader, you should prob plan on packing in to timberline.

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
17 NR points is a little bit of no-mans land. Esp for someone of advanced chronologic standing. I agree with you, burn the points while he can do it, he likely will never catch top 5 units. Deer hunted in 49 this year. Its rough in places, but not as rough as some other places in CO. I will say that they are likely to be high during muzzy. If it were me 49 would be in the top 3 for your situation. Some other general recommendations in that range would be 66, 40, 851 BDO area. Dont mind disclosing those, they are no secret to anyone at that point level.

Here is something you might consider: Using his points will certainly be a once in a lifetime hunt. And first rifle in a limited draw unit would give him a better selection of units than muzzleloader.

Also, there are quite a few units you can get a muzzle loading elk tag for 0-1 point. Bull or cow. So this year he could hunt for a bull with a rifle with his points and the next year hunt with a muzzleloader.

Not trying to change his mind if he is set on a Muzzy hunt. But just trying to think of ways to maximize his choices with his points.

Last edited:

Vids

WKR
Good advice above. Question for the OP - Does grandpa just want to use his muzzy or does he want to hunt elk during muzzy season?

It can be two separate things. You can choose to hunt muzzy only season which is mid September with elk up high, or you can use a muzzy during 1st rifle season which is early October and elk are starting to transition but still rutting. Depending on what grandpa wants, you can look at a lot of options between muzzy season and 1st rifle season.

I think if you give us some more info we can help you out. At that point level units aren't a secret, so once people know what you want to do they'll give advice.

Good idea! But something to keep in mind. This year 1st rifle won’t start until October 16th. Being later, prob not much rutting activity still happening. ☹️

OP
W
Yes we are nonresidents which like many of you said even with 17 points it's not enough to get into some of the trophy units. However the goal for this trip is just a good bull preferably in a unit without a lot of pressure.

He's still in good shape physically for his age, still runs almost every day and has hiked over at least 10 fourteeners.

He picked muzzleloader szn because that is his preferred method and it is during the majority of the rut and they give out less tags? If rifle szn allows for a better hunt, I'm sure it wouldn't take much convincing to get him to change.