Best Compound Bow for 8 Year Old Daughter

sga475

FNG
Looking for a compound bow for my daughter. Suggestions for a quality set up at a reasonable price? Currently she is shooting a plastic recurve from Cabela’s and needs an upgrade. Mostly shoots 3D.

LaHunter

WKR
Bear Archery used to make a youth compound bow that seemed really well made and designed. It had a lot of adjustment range in draw wt and draw length. I'm not sure if they still offer it, but it would be worth checking out.

Good luck

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have first hand experience but if I was going to buy a bow for my kids it would be the Bear Cruzer Lite. $250 on eBay right now in your choice of color and hand.

wentright

FNG
I bought my oldest boy the Hoyt youth bow about 5 years ago and he really likes it and he is 12 now

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Look at Bear Archery. They make cheap (but nice) bows for beginners. I started on a 30lb bow myself, bear brave i believe it was called. They work nicely, and with the 30 pound bow i shot out to 20 yards with it. You should get like a 15 pound bow or so so she doesnt have a hard time with it. Once she gets older and stronger, get a 30 pound bow. Once she outgrows that, you can get her a nicer one, but more expensive. Look for local archery shops, i went to one here in CT and the people are outstanding. They would let you try every single bow in the store, and let you try everything and spend as much time with you as you need. They might not sell these cheaper bows there, but they might be able to steer you in the right direction. Look at a cabelas or bass pro shops or another alike store and they probably have something. Ask someone who looks like they know their stuff.

Bear Cruzer Lite!! Can be adjusted for your child both in weight and length from supper light to hunting weight. Wish I had know about it earlier would have saved me money that I spent on the cheap kids bows.

mlgc20

WKR
My 10 year old has a Diamond Atomic that she has had for 2 years. My 12 year old daughter has a Diamond Infinite Edge. Been really happy with both setups. like a lot of these “kits” some of the accessories aren’t great. We upgraded the rests on both bows. Over time we upgraded the quiver and sight on the Edge. But, she was deer hunting and needed something a bit higher quality. Would recommend taking a look at the Atomic for an 8 year old.

So many good options today for kids. My son started hunting with a Browning Micro Midas 3 and it served him well. Took his first deer with it at 12 and it adjusted for him from 22" to 28" during the time he had it. But there are lots of good options now.

Randle

WKR
I picked up A Diamond atomic for my 8 yrs old grandson. Great little bow setup is easy and as started above will need some upgrades, but the rest and sight are ok to start out.

OP
S

sga475

FNG
Thanks for the info guys. I will check out these bows and see which one she likes.

Good advice so far. If she is smaller in stature, then I would suggest the Diamond Atomic. If a little bigger and can comfortably hold the bow out, then the Bear Cruzer or the Cruzer Lite. My 8 yr old son started with the atomic and he needed an upgrade so we bought a bear cruzer lite. The Bear is still a tad heavy for him but in the last few months of shooting he has grown a bit and is able to hold it steady. My 5 year old son got the atomic as a hand-me-down otherwise my oldest would still be shooting it.

Like others, I picked up a used Bear Apprentice 2 for my son, he is 6. Highly adjustable, he shoots it without much issue. Plenty of room for him to grow into it as well. Think I paid $150 for it or so, which was a little more than I wanted but the bow was basically new.

Lowg08

WKR
I have bought my son a Hoyt klash. It’s very well set up and a quality bow. I feel that most youth bows look nothing like their flagship or even low end adult bows. This bothers me and I feel they are all cheaply made until the klash. It’s basically a mini version of their powermax. It’s light highly adjustable at home and tunes well

I got my daughter (almost 8) the Bear, draw weight from 10-45, adjustable draw length really well built bow for $200. Id hunt white tails with it turned up to 45. Its easy to adjust everything on it, my one complain is the peep sight is kinda wack but it works, I know they did it to be adjustable but it moves a lot even when i tied it down.

Edit* I'd like to add I do have to help her hold it up a little, luckily at the top there is a perfect place to put your finger and help take some of the weight from them.