Best compound strings and cables?

mt100gr.

WKR
Ive been out of the 'latest-greatest of archery' loop for a few years. I worked in a pro shop during the winners choice 8190 xtreme reign and bought enough sets for my go-to bows to get me here. The winners choice strings of 2013ish treated me very well. I'll be keeping the trusty Hoyts that I have now but need to think about getting them in the press and swapping for new strings. I also need to order a set for a buddy (older Mathews ).

I seem to remember winners choice falling out of favor as vapor trail really started impressing. ....it's been years.

Who's making a great string / cable set these days? Solid servings, custom colors, quick settle, no serving slipping, etc.

What string material is top dog?

Please bring me back up to speed on string technology as we near 2020.

Thank you!

Gumbo

WKR
The last sets I bought for myself were Winner's Choice which were OK, ABB which were also OK, but my LAST set of Vapor Trails were so bad I decided to start building my own. Again my experiences with Vapor Trail were terrible, the only thing they have going for them is good customer service, but in my experience you will need it! Mine were replaced because of numerous issues 2 or 3 times. I've heard good things about First String and the sets I've looked at appeared well-built, and the one set of GAS I installed for a friend were very nice, but a touch long.

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
The last sets I bought for myself were Winner's Choice which were OK, ABB which were also OK, but my LAST set of Vapor Trails were so bad I decided to start building my own. Again my experiences with Vapor Trail were terrible, the only thing they have going for them is good customer service, but in my experience you will need it! Mine were replaced because of numerous issues 2 or 3 times. I've heard good things about First String and the sets I've looked at appeared well-built, and the one set of GAS I installed for a friend were very nice, but a touch long.
I appreciate the reports. We're the winner's, ABB, and vapor trail recent-ish? Last couple years?

Gumbo

WKR
I appreciate the reports. We're the winner's, ABB, and vapor trail recent-ish? Last couple years?

Winner's Choice about 5 years ago. Vapor Trail about 3 years. ABB about two years ago (I forgot what I didn't like about ABB, other than the counterclockwise twist messed with my head in terms of tuning), which was the last set I bought before starting to build my own. Kind of hard to remember the exact timeline and how many of each I used, only that Vapor Trail was terrible with peep rotation and serving separation. Looking back I'm surprised that as much as I shoot I didn't buy more sets in that time, but I've been trying and selling bows so quickly I've been using factory strings mostly. FWIW I am more pleased with the factory Bowtech strings than any of the other three I mentioned (which doesn't seem right). I seem to get about 8 months out of a set before they need replaced.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
I've been putting twisted X strings on my hunting and 3D bows for the last few sets and couldn't be happier if I was needing strings now, I would order from them no questions Get on archery talk and do a quick search for string builders You will find plenty of smaller scale builders that make excellent products

I’ve used buckslayer and Hogwire recently and both are very good. Believe I went BCY-X and no complaints and they haven’t moved from the day they were installed unless I added twists tuning

weaver

WKR
ABB is all I use anymore.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sawdog

FNG
What does a "bad" string mean? Does it unravel or fray too quick? My PSE is due but not sure what to go with either.

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
What does a "bad" string mean? Does it unravel or fray too quick? My PSE is due but not sure what to go with either.

My definition, I guess, of a bad string would be one where the servings separate and the bow doesn't seem to hold its tune. And definitely the durability / abrasion resistance. Serving separation where the string rolls over the cams or in the center serving is a PITA. I've also felt lower quality strings that just feel mushy at full draw, bouncy. I want solid when I hit the back wall. I don't want my D-loop working in between the center serving and I expect my peep to not rotate. There are a lot of factors that go into building a quality string and until you've felt a really good one next to a just OK one, it can be kind of mysterious.

Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming.

fatlander

WKR
Twisted x, buckslayer, JBK and catfish customs have all been right by me. You call any of these guys, and the man that answers the phone is the man building the strings with his name above the door. They all take great pride in producing quality, not quantity.

I wouldn’t hesitate to order strings from any of them, I usually go with who has the best deal at the time and that tends to be catfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a ton of good small makers these days. Catfish Customs is a good one and service, turn-around, and communication are excellent and prices are reasonable. Hogwire puts out a good product but typically has longer lead times I think just due to increasing demand.

In terms of medium to large operations, I've used 60x, GAS, ABB (platinum line only) all with good success.

If you asked me to pick today for my own bow, catfish, hogwire, or GAS high octane....flip a coin.

In terms of what makes a good string: does it install and keep the bow in or near spec right out of the bag...none of this "12 twists to get ATA right" business. Serving should be tight and stay that way. Twist rate should look reasonable per spec. Little to no stretch or peep rotation. Bow should hold a tune and maintain factory spec measurements for an extended length of time if cared for. Serving size appropriate for application (center and end servings are of reasonable size and dont rub/fray).

I’m a buck slayer guy. 452x is still a very good material. I will be get a new set for next year in X99 from BS. I would also look at catfish customs and jbk as they make good sets. Of course there is always crackers but you have to do the string and tune.

MattB

WKR

It can be a few things, cabling built with poor quality material poor that continues to creep (some people incorrectly call it "stretch"), cabling built with good material that is not pre-crept so that it elongates post-installation, shoddy serving that separates or unravels, inaccurate lengths, too much/too little serving, not twisted properly, etc.

GAS is a maker that a friend in the industry told me is getting really good reviews by pri shop personnel.

I got a set of buckslayers for my Ct5 installed them and they were pretty much perfect maybe I added a half twist. I shot the shit out of them I’d guess well over 7,000 shots probably closer to 10 and the donuts started to wear through the serving just a tiny bit I asked for new yokes and he sent me an entire new set free of charge, this is after I swapped axels and cable wasn’t in the cam and cut through the serving and he sent me a new cable in a week, super good guy. I had a set of GAS that the donuts chewed through the cables in less than 500 shots, couldn’t get over how sloppy the servings were on the GAS. The reason shops like them so much is they mark them up 50% shops sell them for 150 that cost them 75 and possibly plus a tune. Buckslayer was 6-8 weeks out when I last asked for a set so I got the codfish customs in 10 days he suggested x99 so we’ll see how they hold up. They look excellent just like buckslayer, I put them on quick the other night and bare shafts were good in the basement we’ll see about 20 yards but super close if not perfect out of the package, specs are money.