Best Concert/Show Experience?

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
The Romantics - 1983 - got two rows from stage during the concert! I was sporting a mullet at the time. Somehow me and two buddies followed a girl we met during the concert back to their dressing room after the concert and ate some of their buffet food, talked to the band and got autographs. Nobody else was back there other than a few concert workers. It was awesome!

Great American Rock Fest - 1984ish? Quiet Riot, Motely Crue, Night Ranger, Ozzy and a couple other bands all at this event. Held outside at a ski resort in Michigan. People watching was almost as good as the music!

Tim McGraw and Faith Hill back around 1990? They weren't married yet but when you watched them sing together, you could see the amazing chemistry between the two of them.

Billy Joel - Jazz Fest New Orleans - 2012ish.

Simon and Garfunkle - Jazz Fest New Orleans - 2013ish

Only bad concert I've been to was Neal Diamond. A buddy from church had tickets and invited us. Nothing against Neil's music, just didn't like the show. Might have been the crowd too. Lot's of older folks - not much "energy" in the air. 2000ish - Grand Rapids Michigan.

rjburrola

FNG
Most recently saw Garth Brooks for the first time. Great show. Kenny Chesney is another the best show I think I have seen was 3 Doors Down at the Great Saltair in SLC when I was in high school. Great band very entertaining!

TX_Diver

WKR
Old thread but easy question...

aAtSIuOh.jpg

stdeb11

FNG
Todd Snider is always a great show. Fantastic story teller.
Garth is always great -from back in the day and now
Jack white - dude can shred
John Mayer - before he became known as world class guitarist, second half of his show he broke out the electric guitar and played old SRV and blues tunes

I went to Zach brown about a month ago and it was awesome. They played two sets, had great songs and some cool covers. They played “enter sandman” by Metallica almost perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7Bartman

WKR
Some notables are Metallica, Kiss, Garth, Dwight Yoakam, Neal McCoy, Aaron Tippin. Worst ever was DMB, just not into huge jam sessions.
Best show I've ever seen was a performance by Green Day at HFStival back in 98. Wasn't even a fan until their performance. They brought a kid on stage and had him play one of their songs and then made him stage dive off. By the end of their performance all their instruments were on fire in the middle of stage. It was pretty wild.
I've seen Buffett ~ 20 times. I could really see a decline in him this year (he is 75 after all).
I'm truly jealous of those of you who got to see Pink Floyd. I'd still love to hear Gilmour live (not a fan of Waters).

GSPHUNTER

WKR
April 69, Woodstock. Not actually held in Woodstock but Bethel, NY 40 miles from Woodstock..I have seen , Garth, Hank, Waylon, Johnny, Clint, to mention a few but the one I enjoyed the most was Roy Orbison, A voice like no other.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
If there is only one answer to this question. AC/DC. Best bloody shows I’ve ever been to.

Props to all the maiden fans though, they hold second place for me and I go see them every time they tour. Up the irons.

I’ve seen so much amazing music. It’s like asking who is the most beautiful woman in the world. Most of them.

These come to mind… because I was so happy while it was happening and felt such a sense of … loss? When it stopped.

I saw Jackson Browne play the Mt. Baker theater in Bellingham WA when he was touring to support the Running on Empty album. The band was the same band featured on the album IMO one of the best rock bands of all time. Also saw JB in Reno with all star band Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Hornsby, and Shawn Colvin.

Saw Leo Kotke a couple times. He talked as much as he played the guitar. Man he’s a great storyteller.

Tom Petty at the Lawlor Event Center in Reno. Terrible place for sound but he somehow made it work.

Johnny Lang at the Nugget in Sparks. Unbelievable talent and magnetism. He must have left a gallon of sweat on stage.

Allison Krause with Union Station at the Fallon Community center which seats about two hundred. At one point they stepped out in front of the stage and sang a gospel number a cappella, I’m not much on religion but I felt God there for a few minutes.

I keep coming back and editing.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters

At Planet Bluegrass in Lyons CO Mountain Folks Fest
The Decemberists
Randy Newman
Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit

Recently saw a band called Ozomatli at the Millpond Festival in Bishop CA. I did not expect to like their blend of Latin Rap and East LA Latin Beat rock but I couldnt help myself. Infectious

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
Earliest memory of a hyped event was Rodney O & Joe Cooley at Samerika Hall 1987 in Carson where I grew up. Their Me and Joe album was blowin' up and extremely popular at the time. And of course, the crowd goes off when SuperCuts comes on! Then... after the show Joe Cooley, pioneering Scratch DJ artist that he is, just starting going off on the 1's and 2's. One word... WHOO!!!

Insane Clown Posse 1999 at The KeyClub in Hollywood. (One of these days I'll have to tell you guys about the highlights of that night!) Hands-down most Epic! Craziest shizzle I've ever seen!

Ozz Fest - around the 2000's Rob Zombie was one of the acts. The "T!ttyCam" on the JumboTron was a nice feature!

The Cypress Hill - "Smokeout" concert also around similar timeframe. When Pennywise came on... all the crowd all of a sudden pushed back onto us... me and an even bigger friend Nick. So I just clasped my hands together in a V and stood my ground, and then before you know it... we were in the clearing of a Mosh Pit! Me hardly ever having gone to any concerts I asked him how the Mosh pit thing works. It was a lotta fun! His littler friend Aaron got clocked though! Thankfully somebody else hurried up to help him back up so he wouldn't get trampled or anything.

Rage Against the Machine - Coachella. That was pretty damn hype!

Lords of Acid - at the Palladium was a bit of a trip. Her costumes were...."interesting".

Also.. I'm very Glad I got to see James Brown live at the House of Blues in Anaheim somewhere just before he passed. I took my younger brother too. Told him you need to see this. That's one of things ya just gotta do, go see a living legend icon type of performer, ya know?

EDIT: Another cool music event was AT&T did this Event in DownTown LA like... early to mid 90's? Where they had all these Latin artists upon multiple stages in both "idiomas" (languages).

Last edited: