Best Concert/Show Experience?

In the spirit of Favorite Bourbons and Worst Beers what are your favorite concert experiences?

I've been a bit spoiled (depending on your music tastes) as I went to Vet School in Athens, GA. So here goes....

- Saw Drive-By Truckers numerous times while in Athens (2010-2014). They've gotten to be Uber-Lib as they've gotten older but all of the shows I saw at the 40 Watt were excellent. The best one was when I saw Alabama Shakes open for them in 2011 or 12 at the 40 Watt (very intimate venue, around 200-400 people). Awesome
- 10 months later, I saw Alabama Shakes on their own at the Georgia Theatre. Blew my socks off. Won their first Grammy a month later
- As the only Univ. of Alabama fan in my class during school, my roommates and I hosted an SEC Championship Party at our place in 2012. Had 40+ people there to watch the game. Alabama Vs UGA. Alabama won by a hair. My hunting buddy Abbett said, "hey let's go see Jason Isbell at the 40 Watt tonight". There were less than 100 people there. His now wife, Amanda Shires played the fiddle. One of my favorite show experiences ever!!!
- Saw Warren Haynes melt face at the Georgia Theatre with another buddy the night before a big exam. He twisted my arm. Face melted, made a 75 on a Cardio exam. Win-win.
-Trampled by Turtles for a sold out show at the Georgia Theatre: face melted by the fasted Bluegrass I've ever seen. Rowdy night.
-Recently saw Sturgill Simpson (huge fanboy here) and Tyler Childers (wet while typing) play in Charlotte. WOW, Tyler's got a long career ahead of him (I think). Sturgill was great, just in his own world. Early March.
- Saw Jason Isbell on his Southeastern Album tour in Athens with hunting buddy Abbett and his dad. Just great all around.
-Jason Isbell here again at the Township in Columbia. Great show, but the highlight was his final song. Cover of the RollingStones "Sway". One of my favorite songs ever and he didn't disappoint.

There are some others. I know I have a trend. My wife, myself and her family were supposed to see The RollingStones in Charlotte in July but COVID cancelled that. Keith Richards would have been fine I'm sure.

So what have y'all got??? If any of y'all were where I was at any of those times, let me know!

lif

WKR
In the spirit of Favorite Bourbons and Worst Beers what are your favorite concert experiences?

I've been a bit spoiled (depending on your music tastes) as I went to Vet School in Athens, GA. So here goes....

- Saw Drive-By Truckers numerous times while in Athens (2010-2014). They've gotten to be Uber-Lib as they've gotten older but all of the shows I saw at the 40 Watt were excellent. The best one was when I saw Alabama Shakes open for them in 2011 or 12 at the 40 Watt (very intimate venue, around 200-400 people). Awesome
- 10 months later, I saw Alabama Shakes on their own at the Georgia Theatre. Blew my socks off. Won their first Grammy a month later
- As the only Univ. of Alabama fan in my class during school, my roommates and I hosted an SEC Championship Party at our place in 2012. Had 40+ people there to watch the game. Alabama Vs UGA. Alabama won by a hair. My hunting buddy Abbett said, "hey let's go see Jason Isbell at the 40 Watt tonight". There were less than 100 people there. His now wife, Amanda Shires played the fiddle. One of my favorite show experiences ever!!!
- Saw Warren Haynes melt face at the Georgia Theatre with another buddy the night before a big exam. He twisted my arm. Face melted, made a 75 on a Cardio exam. Win-win.
-Trampled by Turtles for a sold out show at the Georgia Theatre: face melted by the fasted Bluegrass I've ever seen. Rowdy night.
-Recently saw Sturgill Simpson (huge fanboy here) and Tyler Childers (wet while typing) play in Charlotte. WOW, Tyler's got a long career ahead of him (I think). Sturgill was great, just in his own world. Early March.
- Saw Jason Isbell on his Southeastern Album tour in Athens with hunting buddy Abbett and his dad. Just great all around.
-Jason Isbell here again at the Township in Columbia. Great show, but the highlight was his final song. Cover of the RollingStones "Sway". One of my favorite songs ever and he didn't disappoint.

There are some others. I know I have a trend. My wife, myself and her family were supposed to see The RollingStones in Charlotte in July but COVID cancelled that. Keith Richards would have been fine I'm sure.

So what have y'all got??? If any of y'all were where I was at any of those times, let me know!
Tedeschi Trucks band hands down!!! Warren is great as well. If you get a chance to see Tedeschi Trucks, get it done. You don’t be disappointed

Poser

WKR
Bob Dylan at a minor league baseball stadium in Memphis was a pretty incredible show.

I saw The White Stripes for a $7 cover in a 150 capacity club not too long before they broke. It was definitely a “this about to be huge” vibe.

Lollapoolza 1996 in New Orleans, mid afternoon main stage in this order:

Rage Against the Machine
Walton Jennings
the Beastie Boys

Black Flag in a field in rural Tennessee was probably the most fun show I’ve ever been to.

Speaking of Drive By Truckers, I saw them on Sept 11th, 2001 with all of maybe 9 people there. Super awkward night.

I saw John Fogerty in Tupelo, MS. He went years without playing any of the CCR catalogue and this wasn’t long after he decided to embrace it. He was on fire and loving life. It’s crazy how many CCR hits there are. After the show, we went this local bar and Fogerty shows up, takes the stage and starts taking requests. I had my moment to request a seldom of ever played Fogerty/CCR song, I yelled out my request for a song you’d never hear live otherwise and he obliged with “Cotton Fields”

Robert Plant on a steamy night in Memphis, mainly because never in my whole life would I have imagined hearing “Going to California” played live. But, before the show, we were pregaming at a very nice hotel bar. There was a girl in our crew obsessed with Robert Plant to the point that she had told her husband That if she ever had the chance to sleep with him, she was going to and her husband didn’t get a say. We’re making a joke about this Scenario on the elevator and the elevator door opens and it’s Robert Plant and his security guard. Our frozen stare response was awkward enough that he didn’t get onto the elevator with us.

I used to go to a lot of club shows and always enjoyed that over large crowds, but there is something to be said for modern large scale production.

jfs82

WKR
Black keys in Oakland Ca... John Lee Hooker in Santa Cruz just before he died... Al Green and Gladys Knight in Concord Ca...

Poser

WKR
Black keys in Oakland Ca... John Lee Hooker in Santa Cruz just before he died... Al Green and Gladys Knight in Concord Ca...

I saw John Lee Hooker back in 1990. It was a big stage at a festival and I was pretty close, maybe 3rd row or so waiting for see The Black Crowes. He came out wearing overalls, seated, stomping his boot while playing. It was powerful. I went home after that show and started buying Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, blind Willie Johnson records and digging into blues. It was also unmistakably apparent that John Lee Hooker had a pair of giant balls. They were just hanging out in the bottom of his overalls like two ivory 8 balls.

“big legs, tight skirt” is a favorite.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garth brooks last summer in Denver. It takes a lot to perform at a high level at his age at elevation, he did it for nearly three hours straight.

Honorable mention for Kiss back in 96 or so. I never really cared for their music but they put on a show that was entertaining.

Seen many many many bands play, probably hundreds...seen the Doors, America, Willie Nelson, Bob Marley's Wailers, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Santana, Primus, R.A.T.M,Tool, Bad Religion, many consummate musicians....Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals are no doubt the best I've ever seen, hands down....

Wellsdw

WKR
Garth old and new, great performer. Ok singer. Seems to enjoy being up there.

Motley Crue- awful 2009 though. Wouldn’t go to crue now if they held a concert in my front yard

Nickelback......weak moment, low point in my life. Moving on

Eagles—-fuzzy blurry memory but what I remember was good

Staind good. Aaron Lewis also good, granted came on stage two hrs 15 min late. Concert cut short because of city ordinance. And then joked about a short night

Cody jinks- fantastic

Whiskey Myers awesome

Shinedown was good

But godsmack- hands down best concert from a performance stand point. I was pretty indifferent towards them before going

Honestly I think the days of big arena concerts Super shows have lost their way. Small venues not mainstream is where you find you talent and quality

I waiting for a close Childers show as well as bingham

mtnkid85

WKR
Two shows at the Gorge come to mind.
First of all im not exactly a Daver, but The Dave Mathews Band was absolutely fantastic! Brandi Carlile opened for them and killed it.
Also Foo Fighters at the Gorge was epic. We've seen then multiple times and every time they shred!

Chris Ledoux at Cheyenne is one of my earliest music memories. All the cope cans getting thrown on stage when they started up Copenhagen.

Lastly the Shook Twins at a little stage here in town. Felt like I was on an acid trip for there entire set, light show and there voices combined was quite the experience! Lol

Outlaw99

WKR
Chris Ledoux anywhere! Was fortunate to see him life on multiple occasions at various venues. His show was electric! Ozzy may have bit the head off a bat, but Chris rose a mechanical bull on stage with fireworks going off behind him all while carrying out a tune.

Last edited:

AZ8

WKR
I’ve see hundred of shows. Almost every 80’s hair band that had a video on MTV...lol Many bands 4,5,6 times! Of course, all the heavy bands were our favorites shows: Maiden, Metallica, Queensryche. Alot of great memories!

With that said, the best show I‘ve ever seen was Bob Seger. The man played for over 2 hours without a hiccup. Incredible!

At 51 years old, my tinnitus reminds me now how stupid we were pushed up against the stage, in front of the speakers with NO hearing protection. Stupid. If there’s one thing I could change from my younger concert days, it would have been ear plugs. But we were invincible and it wasn’t cool.

Good times tho!