Best Concert/Show Experience?

Dwight house of blues
Clint black twice in arenas the size of small school gyms unreal
buffet st. Lou chicago and phx the pre party in the parking lots priceless
cheap trick in their day at county fair in Janesville WI
brooks & Dunn twice kix brooks you’re gonna miss me solo epic
the king George in Vegas from the floor yes he just sings but if you love real non tractor rap country that’s a show
bummed I never saw petty or Seger

JohnnyB

WKR
Hands down U2 Joshua Tree Tour Oakland Coliseum, 1986. So much energy.

Strangest- Steve Miller, mid 90s. 15,000 people singing along and the dude is turning pages on a music stand. Not sure if he was rusty or what, but at that point he had played those greatest hits thousands of times.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to see Eric Clapton when I was 13, during one of his last tours. Joe Walsh at Red Rocks is up there too, still stoned from that concert.

RS3579

WKR
Bruce Springsteen May 2, 2009 Greensboro NC. 1st row in the pit. Had a quick conversation with him, about 5 seconds long. I’ve seen him over a dozen times. Another that comes to mind was his solo acoustic tour in 2005. I saw the Scorpions many times also. Those 2 Bands are always my favorite concerts.

marktole

WKR
I'm embarrassed to say it, but damn it, Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line put on an incredible live show at Kicker Country Stampede in 2015 or 16 (can't remember what year) in Manhattan, KS when I was in college. Plus there was tons of very attractive girls there in bikini tops and jean shorts so that probably helped.

Grumman

WKR
Hank JR and Lynyrd Skynyrd tour at Freedom Hall was a good show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I saw the Avett Brothers in the early 2000's at a free show in a bar. They were promoting their first album I think. Probably only 30 people there.

choovhntr

WKR
Metallica with the San Francisco Symphony Last year. I’ve seen a lot of great shows over the years, but this was just a whole different level of concert. I missed the first one 20 years ago, but was very fortunate to get the opportunity to go this time around.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Swollen Members. They put on an awesome show. Dilated Peoples were good too. K-OS had a live band. Not enough people showed up. One of the best shows I’ve seen. Probably never come back due to lack of interest. And tool. From what I remember they were awesome. Got searched on the way in. First guy I bumped into sold me a 10 strip. Spiral out.

Marilyn Manson mid-90s and Insane Clown Posse were pretty darn entertaining, I must say....

Jealous of the guys that got to see Metallica with the symphony! Not a huge concert guy, but Metallica was an incredible show. Would see them again in a second.

GNR and AC/DC were both good too.

Saw Slipknot last year and even though the vocals weren't the best live, those guys went hard for an hour and half without a break, and Corey is an amazing performer. Being in their hometown also helped!

Tool and Godsmack are on the top of my to-see list.

Last edited:
This
In the spirit of Favorite Bourbons and Worst Beers what are your favorite concert experiences?

I've been a bit spoiled (depending on your music tastes) as I went to Vet School in Athens, GA. So here goes....

- Saw Drive-By Truckers numerous times while in Athens (2010-2014). They've gotten to be Uber-Lib as they've gotten older but all of the shows I saw at the 40 Watt were excellent. The best one was when I saw Alabama Shakes open for them in 2011 or 12 at the 40 Watt (very intimate venue, around 200-400 people). Awesome
- 10 months later, I saw Alabama Shakes on their own at the Georgia Theatre. Blew my socks off. Won their first Grammy a month later
- As the only Univ. of Alabama fan in my class during school, my roommates and I hosted an SEC Championship Party at our place in 2012. Had 40+ people there to watch the game. Alabama Vs UGA. Alabama won by a hair. My hunting buddy Abbett said, "hey let's go see Jason Isbell at the 40 Watt tonight". There were less than 100 people there. His now wife, Amanda Shires played the fiddle. One of my favorite show experiences ever!!!
- Saw Warren Haynes melt face at the Georgia Theatre with another buddy the night before a big exam. He twisted my arm. Face melted, made a 75 on a Cardio exam. Win-win.
-Trampled by Turtles for a sold out show at the Georgia Theatre: face melted by the fasted Bluegrass I've ever seen. Rowdy night.
-Recently saw Sturgill Simpson (huge fanboy here) and Tyler Childers (wet while typing) play in Charlotte. WOW, Tyler's got a long career ahead of him (I think). Sturgill was great, just in his own world. Early March.
- Saw Jason Isbell on his Southeastern Album tour in Athens with hunting buddy Abbett and his dad. Just great all around.
-Jason Isbell here again at the Township in Columbia. Great show, but the highlight was his final song. Cover of the RollingStones "Sway". One of my favorite songs ever and he didn't disappoint.

There are some others. I know I have a trend. My wife, myself and her family were supposed to see The RollingStones in Charlotte in July but COVID cancelled that. Keith Richards would have been fine I'm sure.

So what have y'all got??? If any of y'all were where I was at any of those times, let me know!
This is an easy one. My wife got us and another couple tickets to AC/DC. They end up six rows up along the stage side. Every time Angus or Brian came to that side you were eye to eye with them. The next was last year took my wife to see Def Leppard in Vegas.

I’ve see hundred of shows. Almost every 80’s hair band that had a video on MTV...lol Many bands 4,5,6 times! Of course, all the heavy bands were our favorites shows: Maiden, Metallica, Queensryche. Alot of great memories!

With that said, the best show I‘ve ever seen was Bob Seger. The man played for over 2 hours without a hiccup. Incredible!

At 51 years old, my tinnitus reminds me now how stupid we were pushed up against the stage, in front of the speakers with NO hearing protection. Stupid. If there’s one thing I could change from my younger concert days, it would have been ear plugs. But we were invincible and it wasn’t cool.

Good times tho!
Guns, hard rock and goose calling and I can't hear anything.

Reactions: AZ8

Catahoula

WKR
The Who-1
James Taylor-1
The Police-1
Judas Priest-1
Bryan Adams-2
Steely Dan-1
Eric Clapton-1
Grateful Dead-48 1984-1995
TOOL-2
Pat Metheny-1
Al DiMeola-1
Rush-1
Van Halen-2 once with DLR, once with SH.
Joe Bonamassa-2
Foo Fighters-1
Jerry Garcia Band-3
Fourplay-1
INXS-2
Gipsy Kings-2
Harry Connick Jr-1
Squeeze-1
Genesis-1

Can’t really say I had a favorite. Good experiences growing through life. Live music is just electric.

Last edited:
Jimi Hendrix in 69 @ Baltimore, Maryland Civic Center - 12th row - orchestra pit
Terry Reid, Moody Blues and Cream in 69 - at a Baltimore live concert
Janis Joplin - The Big Brother And The Holding Company - Once...and in another band
Grand Funk Railroad - Twice
Led Zeppelin and The Who (with them performing there destruction act) at Merriweather Post Pavilion - 69 or 70
John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers
Steppenwolf - Twice
Dr. John and the Night Tripper with the Doors minus Jim Morrison
Alice Cooper
Nils Lofgren with Grin
Chicago
Jose Feliciano
Canned Heat - Twice
Black Sabbath in 1970
Johnny Winter
Edgar Winter with Rick Derringer
The Allman Brothers Band
Ike and Tina Turner
10 Years After
Adam and the Ants
Gratefull Dead - Twice
Wendy Orleans Williams and the Plasmatics - Once - and twice in another band
The Kinks
Heart
Santana
Savoy Brown
Mountain
Iron Butterfly
James Cotton Blues Band
Stevie Ray Vaughan

(With the result of me winding up with tinnitus for the next 40 or so years) - I'm 69 years old
I'm jealous you got to see SRV! I'm an eighties rocker, but love a good fast blues type of rock. SRV was one of the best.

Calcoyote

FNG
Kiss - Dynasty Tour 1978 Fresno CA
Rush - Moving Pictures Tour 1979 Fresno, CA

I no longer live in CA