Best cooler?

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have personal experience with them but Grizzly coolers look pretty tough and have a lifetime warranty.

I've been looking at them online, they look really sturdy, I see they sell them at Sportsmans warehouse' website, next time I go into town, I'm going to stop by there and check them out.

I've been researching the crap out of coolers lately, I think what I'm going to end up finding, it is going to be more ice management on the operators part instead of cool in all of the high end coolers.

Shrek

WKR
I've been looking at them online, they look really sturdy, I see they sell them at Sportsmans warehouse' website, next time I go into town, I'm going to stop by there and check them out.

I've been researching the crap out of coolers lately, I think what I'm going to end up finding, it is going to be more ice management on the operators part instead of cool in all of the high end coolers.
I buy ice ahead of time at an automated ice machine cheap. Problem is it is just frozen and doesn't last long. Now days I buy a bunch and put it in a chest freezer at home I have turned down all the way to cold as hades ! Last much longer in a cooler. I also freeze blocks of ice in cheap metal 13x9 baking pans and pop the blocks out and put them in the bottom of the cooler. All super cold. Last for days in a regular cooler. By cold ice I mean it sticks to you if you hands are wet at all.

Gman

WKR
I buy 1 gallon or 2.5 gallon jugs of water at the market before the season. Plop them in the chest freezer and I always have ice in my monster igloo cooler I got at Costco. Best solution I've found so far. When I get home they go back in the freezer for the next adventure. Just make sure to let a little water off when you buy them or they'll split from expansion.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I buy 1 gallon or 2.5 gallon jugs of water at the market before the season. Plop them in the chest freezer and I always have ice in my monster igloo cooler I got at Costco. Best solution I've found so far. When I get home they go back in the freezer for the next adventure. Just make sure to let a little water off when you buy them or they'll split from expansion.

+1 on this idea! This is how we keep the coolers cold when camping with ATVs, or (less often) out of the truck. The bonus is, once thawed, you end up with a few gallons of additional drinking water. Bring the jugs home empty, refill and refreeze before the next trip. I do go ahead and buy the sturdier plastic jugs, as the milk jug style seem to get holes and cracks more easily.

Gman

WKR
.... I do go ahead and buy the sturdier plastic jugs, as the milk jug style seem to get holes and cracks more easily.

Becca, can you elaborate on the "sturdier jugs", I do find mine get all cracked and leaky by season's end most likely from banging around the cooler.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Becca, can you elaborate on the "sturdier jugs", I do find mine get all cracked and leaky by season's end most likely from banging around the cooler.

I found some of these on the water aisle at the super market, they use the sturdier clear plastic like you would buy apple or grape juice in. Added bonus is they are square without a rigid handle so they fit into the cooler better. I am sure with enough abuse these would crack too, but they held up well for me in some pretty bouncy conditions this year. If overnight temps are low enough, I sometimes pull them out to refreeze and then return them to the coolers in the morning.

952C5268-BA34-43D7-BCE7-B39B17EAC4E0-18323-000009A5F8B161EC.jpg

akrdkill

WKR
I've been using the sturdier juice jugs they seem more "heavy duty" like Becca states above. They stack in alot better to. I just save enough to keep a few extras on hand.

Mckinnon

WKR
We got a 150 quart (I think, its massive but I can't remember exactly) cooler at costco for 79.99. Held a quartered mule deer without changing the ice for 4 days with plenty of ice left over. We just drained it every night. No complaints here. I know its not one of those high end fancy ones but it works and is within the budget for me. I also use the frozen juice bottle technique and just fill up my old orange juice jugs.

Lost Arra

FNG
Suggestion: when freezing your gallon jugs of water add some salt to the water before freezing (leave some space at the top). Depresses the freezing temperature and the ice will be colder and remain frozen longer. Homemade ice cream freezers? Same principle. Don't add too much salt because if the water is completely saturated it might not ever freeze unless your home freezer gets down to around zero. This assumes you don't need the gallon jugs for drinking.

Frozen salt water jugs + Coleman Extremes have worked fine for me for extended periods in warm weather.

If I had a fishing boat in Fla and friends on the Olympic weight lifting team I would invest in big Yetis.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all of the input. I pulled the trigger on a grizzley coolers 150. I am happy with it(so far)!