Best cooler?

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
The trend I have been setting seems to be me buying the big white cooler from Costco every 3-4 years and breaking them so I'm kicking around buying a good cooler, like most of you, yeti comes to mind first. It makes sense in the long run to only cry once.

I'd like to hear if they are worth the cash though, I want a big one!

If a hinge breaks, will they send you out a new hinge or do you have to send in the cooler to be,"evaluated" for the 5 year warrantee?

I have also been looking at canyon coolers out of flagstaff az, they seem to make a nice product at a considerable price difference than yeti.

Are there any other manufacturers I should look at? Thanks in advance.

Shrek

WKR
What breaks on the big white coolers ? If it is the hinge I just take a piece of load strap and cut it the length of the lid and put 3/4" ss screws about every 1 1/2". Lasts for years . I know of to many people who have had a yeti stolen from the back of their truck. I have a lot more wants than I got gots so I save where I can. I have a half dozen old coolers with strap for hinge and lid braces that are going on ten or more years old.

G Posik

WKR
I have a few yeti coolers. I have 2 that I bought when they first came out. Have yet to have a hinge break. I did break the drain plug the other day and will be getting in touch with the next week. Something tells me they will take care of me without issue. I use these coolers ALL the time. If getting a 250 they are heavy. I find I use my 120, 80& 50 the most. I have a 250 that gets used now and then.

Glenn

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Yeti is the best cooler that I've had experience with.

OBP

WKR
Dave, any chance you could post a pick of one of your coolers with the load strap fix? I have two coolers with broken hinges and that sounds like it would work for them.

OBP

WKR
Awesome, thanks Dave. I'm going to do this to both of mine, that way I can spend cooler money on other toys!

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have replaced the hinges with metal ones similar to an interior door, that is fine I have problems breaking the seems on the cooler.

Thanks for the Input guys. Canyon coolers is getting my attention the more I look at them, they also have a 5% off and free shipping deal right now for the holidays.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a few yeti coolers. I have 2 that I bought when they first came out. Have yet to have a hinge break. I did break the drain plug the other day and will be getting in touch with the next week. Something tells me they will take care of me without issue. I use these coolers ALL the time. If getting a 250 they are heavy. I find I use my 120, 80& 50 the most. I have a 250 that gets used now and then.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn. Sound advice.

Lawnboi

WKR
yeti coolers are expensive and they are very very nice. I cant see how you would break the thing. Our family has 2 of them that luckily they let me use all the time.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeti coolers are expensive and they are very very nice. I cant see how you would break the thing. Our family has 2 of them that luckily they let me use all the time.

Hey your on to something, I just need to get my family to buy a few and borrow then all of the time! Now THAT'S smart!

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some Brute coolers and they have been great. They we made to compete with Yeti at a lower price point. I've been happy with mine plus they are American made
Not sure of the website I just google brute coolers

MattB

WKR
You can buy new hinges and clasps from Igloo and Coleman Ebay for $5-$10, much more economical than buyin a new cooler if that is the issue.

JNDEER

WKR
You can buy new hinges and clasps from Igloo and Coleman Ebay for $5-$10, much more economical than buyin a new cooler if that is the issue.

I had a hinge break on the coleman extreme. Called and the lady asked for the serial number on the cooler and mailed me out two new ones no questions asked (and it was 3 years old).
I have the 70 and 100qt versions and have used them for a couple of years now without any issues.

Ozz08

WKR
Great idea with the strap or fire hose for the hinges. I own a few igloo and Coleman coolers, large small and everything in between. The problem I have with them is keeping ice. They just aren't good at it. On summer camping trips with the family I spend more time replacing bags of ice than I do anything else. A buddy of mine forked out the cash for a yeti and that thing kept our ice for 5 days in mid to high 90 degree weather. I was really impressed.