Best credit card for outdoorsmen

muddydogs

WKR
I use the Citibank card from Costco, has some of the best cash back percentages out there and I would rather get cash in my pocket then miles or club points.

DavePwns

WKR
I use the Citibank card from Costco, has some of the best cash back percentages out there and I would rather get cash in my pocket then miles or club points.
What percentage is it and is there an annual fee?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Americans right now owe just under a trillion dollars in credit card debt and the average adult has over $4k in revolving debt accounts with only about 1 in 3 paying off the balance every month for a 6 month period. Maybe you're the exception to the rule...but I talk to a lot of people who lament just how expensive all this "free" money became.

Credit card incentives and teasers are just consumer psychology posing as a math problem and the credit card companies are just better at it than anyone else in the game. I'll pass.

If your not willing to pay the card off each month then you should pass, it's not hard to do if you treat the card like a debit card and keep track of what you owe. With all the different programs out there these days to help one keep track of there checkbook it's fairly simple to do. I had the Costco AMEX card for years before they switched to Citibank, probably around 15 years at this point and have never paid a lick of interest to the card companies and get a little coin back each year.

muddydogs

WKR
What percentage is it and is there an annual fee?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

There is a membership fee through Costco but you get a separate rebate from Costco purchases which covers the membership. I think the Costco rebate is 2% cash back and the membership is $120 for Business Executive.

The Citibank card pays 1% for general purchases, 2% for Costco purchase, 3% for eating out, and 4% for gas anywhere.

If you don't shop at Costco then the $120 membership would be a hit but the Costco rebate I get each year basically covers it. I use the CC for everything. I'll use it to pay medical bills then turn around and pay off the card just to get the cash back and I come out money ahead. In fact I get the cash back this month just in time for hunt application season which of course I will put on the card first before I pay it off.

Americans right now owe just under a trillion dollars in credit card debt and the average adult has over $4k in revolving debt accounts with only about 1 in 3 paying off the balance every month for a 6 month period. Maybe you're the exception to the rule...but I talk to a lot of people who lament just how expensive all this "free" money became.

Credit card incentives and teasers are just consumer psychology posing as a math problem and the credit card companies are just better at it than anyone else in the game. I'll pass.

I pay my bills every month. I don’t carry a balance and enjoy the rei gift cards I get every March for a dividend and the miles I get on my Alaska card have bought me tickets to Japan, South America, Europe, and places in the us. I agree. If you can’t pay it off. Pass. But if you treat it like a debit card, you come out ahead.
To me it’s not a game. I buy a new sleeping bag at rei on my credit card. I go home. Pay t off. End of the year I get 15% of that back. All at the cost of just being responsible. That 20 dollar life time membership pays for itself real quick.
Now. I don’t sign up for target cards. Or old navy. Or sears or any of that. I know I frequently shop at rei for big ticket items so it made sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the capital one venture for my business as well as a separate one for personal expenses. The 2% can add up fairly fast I have not paid a dime of interest in the years I have had my cards. I have not paid for a vacation since I have gotten the cards either. I will say we are an exception I run six figures through my business account a year so it helps to build up miles quickly.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Rates on rewards cards are insane. High teens. Don’t leave balances on them or you will end up losing the benefit of the rewards in the end due to the interest you pay. If you roll a balance, even for a while, you are better using a lower rate card like from a credit union.

I have a Cabelas card. I use it for gas and a few other utility vendor who don't add a percentage to use a CC. It's nice to have at least a small amount off when I go to buy something.

I pretty much pay cash on everything that would be considered discretionary spending. There are lots of studies that show you spend more money when you pay with a credit card as opposed to cash. Dave Ramsey is on to something.

Agross

WKR
I've had a cabelas card for years. Use it all the time, gas groceries, and odds and ends. We pay it off every month without exception. Never paid interest or late fees. Have literally gotten hundreds of dollars worth of of gear with my rewards points. Definitely worth it for us.

NDGuy

WKR

You do you man, I will keep using my Citi Double Cash Card and get 2% back on everything I buy (totaling a couple grand in a couple years). Coupling that with the fact I wouldn't be using a debit card on any online purchases considering if that gets stolen it is WAYYYYY harder to get your money back vs cancelling a card. Treat your credit card like a debit card and the benefits far outweigh "paying in cash".

NDGuy

WKR
If you close to Cabelas, Scheels or another sporting goods store I would consider getting a card with them. Otherwise I would get a cash back card like the Citi Double Cash (I have this one, no annual fee). That way you can just get a check in the mail or statement credit every month....or save and get something that goes bang once a year!

I love how the OP asks about the best rewards card and gets lectured on why cards are bad.

I just got a Wells Fargo card with 1.5% on everything. I also got a $200 bonus for spending $1000. I don't carry cash. I bank at Wells so this card is nice because I see the balance on my dashboard when I log into my account. Easy to monitor and pay off every month.

Gobspur

FNG
Thought the OP asked which credit card was best for outdoorsman.....NOT whether credit was a good idea or not. Maybe a separate thread for discussing financial responsibility?

I've had the Cabelas card for over 15 years and have earned some decent rewards over that time. Also use the Discover IT card with 5% cashback. They have a different deal each quarter, eg. JAN-MAR - gas stations and wholesale clubs, APR - JUN - grocery stores, etc. You can then use this cash back on what you like. Also like the REI card someone else mentioned.

blackdawg

WKR
The number one reason I carry a credit card with a HUGE limit is........so I can create a gigantic balance putting in for all the western dream hunts each year!
Chase Sapphire has worked for us and will be looking into an Alaska Airlines card in the future.

Brendan

WKR
Fidelity Visa. 2% back on everything, no limits, no fee, cash deposited into my account. No worrying about miles.

I have a cabelas card also but like a few members have stated sometimes they don’t really have what you need in stock. My dad has just a standard Wells Fargo card and for his rewards they give him options to pick either product or gift cards at for many chain stores. Cables and Bass Pro are listed. I have not looked into seeing if they possibly are a better deal

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
"Now, I travel a lot for work so I have been able to fly Alaska Air a lot (I mean a lot). So, we have kept the Alaska Air card active for my airfare (2x miles) and other expenses. I also have a Delta Platinum card that I use at times. Both of these cards have a yearly companion fare where your companion flies for free or $99 with your full fare. Now, these cards do have a yearly fee that goes with them so make sure you'll use the companion fare and other perks. Otherwise, dump any cards that have yearly fees."

You would have to show me how the companion fare is not a scam. I booked flights for two a month ago with my Alaska Airlines Visa after watching the prices go up and down all winter. Finally I started booking and clicked on companion fare. I was sent to a new set of prices for the same flights which were considerably more! After rechecking several times to see if I had made a mistake I finally booked with my original flights which turned out to be less than the companion fare flights. My companion fare status is still unused. I will be watching this thread for the best cash back card and switch.

I had a Cabela's card that I used for my business for over 20 years. For a long time they were great. Their Customer Service is still top notch. But the Cabela's credit card is no longer the great deal that it used to be. Plus, I think the quality of Cabela's gear has slipped a lot in the last couple of years. So I cancelled and got a credit card that gives much better rewards.

colonel00

WKR
You would have to show me how the companion fare is not a scam. I booked flights for two a month ago with my Alaska Airlines Visa after watching the prices go up and down all winter. Finally I started booking and clicked on companion fare. I was sent to a new set of prices for the same flights which were considerably more! After rechecking several times to see if I had made a mistake I finally booked with my original flights which turned out to be less than the companion fare flights. My companion fare status is still unused. I will be watching this thread for the best cash back card and switch.

I just looked up an example flight that I might use it for. From KC to Hawaii, using the current companion fare pricing, we could fly for $750. This also includes the $99 companion fee. For a while they weren't charging this fee. Now, add in the yearly credit card fee of $100 or whatever and the flight is $850. Regular airfare on the same flights is almost $1200. Yes, they do add in fees for using the special promotions but you can still save a bit of money. Plus, this includes the yearly fee which is also allowing you to earn miles all year long on your purchases. Hell, if you fly only a couple times, the free first bag with the CC adds into this and reduces that additional cost of the above fare.

Also, since I also have the MVP Guest Upgrade codes, I can find flights where we fly first class the whole way for $1000 for both of us. Round trip from Kansas City to Hawaii in first class for $1K is a pretty good deal to me. Oh, I believe you also accrue miles on these flights as well.

Like most things though, you have to find what works for you. Since you are in Oregon, the savings may not result in as drastic of a difference depending on where you are looking to fly.

I sent my companion code to my brother when he visited me from Boston this last summer. It would have cost him and his wife nearly $1300 to get here. It was a total of $700 after the companion fare code.

For the original question, AK Airlines if you plan on taking trip to/within Alaska every year or two. Between me and my wife, we each average 2 round trip flights a year with miles. We have never paid a penny in interest to that company. Additionally, the first class upgrades with miles are great.

I also support the cash only crowd. The guy that stated you need a credit card to keep up your credit in order to buy a house is flat wrong. A zero credit score when applying for a mortgage is no problem with a small manual writing process. Ideal really to a lender when they see you have a decent income with no other payments. I would give a loan to a buddy with zero payments and a zero credit score well before giving a loan to a buddy who i know is buried in payments trying to keep his credit score afloat.