Best Credit Card Rewards

treillw

WKR
Thinking about giving the Cabela's card the old heave ho. Any suggestions on a card that has great rewards? I've seen some that give 2% back, while most (Cabela's included) give 1% I believe. Whether I end up spending the rewards money at say wal-mart or Cabela's is irrelevant - I can always transfer the money within my own funds. Occasionally Cabela's does have some nice card member perks though.

Thoughts?

I dumped Cabelas years ago. I got the Southwest card due to our traveling back and forth to IL twice a year and having kids in college in Iowa traveling. It works for us at the moment but I will do some digging on the Fidelity deal above.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
Bass pro has totally screwed up Cabelas and their credit card. I’m gonna be dumping mine soon as well. I have an AMX delta air card. I use it to pay all monthly expenses and then pay it off in full each month. The travel awards are great (if you travel a lot). I’ll look in to the other suggestions below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dumped my cabelas card a year ago and had a tough decision trying to decide which one to sign up for next. I ended up going with Costco’s credit card as their rewards program is pretty generous. Plus if your an executive member you still get that reward check back yearly too. Only downside to their program is they only release your rewards once a year compared to other cards where you can access your rewards on demand. The other card i considered too was also Amazon’s

Grumman

WKR
Living close to a Costco makes it worthwhile to have their card and use at their fuel station.

SDHNTR

WKR
I work in banking/wealth management and if you qualify,there is no better rewards program than B of A Preferred Rewards at the platinum level. 3.5X points redeemable for cash.

RAPTOR

WKR
You're better off getting a card that gives you good percentages where you shop most. Grocery stores, gas stations, etc, then using those points as a statement credit to pay for your purchase from anywhere. Cabelas sucks because you're really only building points to spend there...which is expensive, and I'd rather give the business to smaller shops whether in person or online.

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
I have a B of A Cash Rewards card (good rewards with NO annual fee) that I like and it replaced my Cabelas card. You get 3% back on a category of your choice (Home improvement, online shopping, gas, dining, travel, and a couple other things), and you can change your category once a month which is nice if you know you have a big trip coming up or big online shopping orders or whatever. Also get 2% back at grocery stores and places like Sam's Club/Costco, and 1% back everywhere else. So get 3%, 2%, and 1% depending on the category

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I got the amazon credit card. Great choice. You get amazon prime free with it, so you get 1 day free shipping. 5% back on all amazon purchases, and then 2% on all other purchases. In my honest opinion, best card out there.

I'm going to check into this card. I have the Costco card which I get 4% back on gas, 2% at Costco and 1% the rest of the time including Amazon. Well I spend more at Amazon then I do on gas soit might be the way to go.

Dunndm

WKR
I'm going to check into this card. I have the Costco card which I get 4% back on gas, 2% at Costco and 1% the rest of the time including Amazon. Well I spend more at Amazon then I do on gas soit might be the way to go.

I buy everything I can from amazon, 5% back is a lot. So in my opinion it works the best for my situation

davescarp

WKR
I got the amazon credit card. Great choice. You get amazon prime free with it, so you get 1 day free shipping. 5% back on all amazon purchases, and then 2% on all other purchases. In my honest opinion, best card out there.

amazon card looks good, but it says 5% at amazon, 2% at restaurants and gas stations, and 1% on everything else. Not sure that would beat my BofA cash reward card. also don't see where it includes prime for free, says you need a prime membership to get 5% off...

Jorge400

FNG
It really depends on what you are looking for. I have a GM card that I've had long enough that I get 5% or 10% credit up to $500 per year towards a new GM vehicle. $3,500 came in handy a few months ago when I purchased a new truck (I don't think they offer such a good deal on new GM cards though). Once I hit my $500 in annual earnings I don't use the card anymore.

However, airfare is what I really use points for. Living in Atlanta makes it pretty easy to play the points game. I use an Amex Rewards card that I get between 1x and 5x points on purchases which I then use for airline ticket purchases that usually equate to $0.015 to $0.03 per point. Meaning if I'm looking at a $500 airline ticket and it requires anything more than 35,000 points, I don't use Amex points and pay cash or use Capital One points.

My business card is a Capital One that gives me 2x airline points. I like that but you can't play the points game with this card. If I buy a $2,000 airline ticket it costs me 200,000 points regardless ($100,000 in purchases at 2x). How does this differ from the Amex points I use? I once was able to purchase a $2,000 airline ticket for my wife to South Africa for 75,000 Amex Points. I only had to spend roughly $35,000 to $40,000 in purchases because I'm able to average that with reward points that range from 1x to 5x.

If you want cash back, find the one that has the best cash back option. Travel, store credit, etc., figure out what and where you are going to purchase and do the math like I did above. Also look closely at what teaser deals there are out there. Amex recently offered me 100,000 bonus points to upgrade to a Platinum card but I missed my window :( .

Dunndm

WKR
amazon card looks good, but it says 5% at amazon, 2% at restaurants and gas stations, and 1% on everything else. Not sure that would beat my BofA cash reward card. also don't see where it includes prime for free, says you need a prime membership to get 5% off...

Oh, shoot... I thought it was included for the prime. My fiancé said that and I didn’t really look into it to be honest. My fault on that. I mean I use amazon for so much stuff, like I said it suited me the best

RMac5

Lil-Rokslider
On the BOA card does it require you to bank there as well? Not sure I understand the BOA three tier option. I need to look into the Fidelity program as well. I have a retirement account through them as well so that might make it easy to get started.