Best down puffy. That's actually warm

Looking for a new puffy. Would like it warm and light. Have been running synthetic but like the weight and compressibility of down.

Like the looks of the sg Grumman but wants some input

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Our sole exception to using 100% Sitka came from a stop at a TJ Maxx store. Scored 2 down jackets for $99 in black. Flat out warm, compress to nothing. Crazy good to mid 20s w shell and layering. We are VERY careful w moisture mgt. And full disclosure, do have Sitka down hooded for when it gets bleak.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Been running the Ghar, don’t have any other Kryptek gear but love this jacket. Just got done with a week of Coues hunting in AZ with temps between 20-35 with snow/sleet/wind and it did awesome. Also had it as an out layer for most of trip and was super surprised by durability. Walked through a lot of stuff that if you even looked at it with my other puffys on they would rip. Ended the trip with no tears at all.

Kotaman

WKR
The Ghar is fantastic as is the SG Gruman. No offense Rodney, but if you think the KUIU SD and the Uncompaghre are warm, you don't spend much time in the cold. Both nice jackets, but not warm by any stretch. (yes, I have them both) The Sitka Kelvin WS is also a very nice puffy, but a bit heavier than the others.

I've never yet found a puffy in the hunting-specific brands which I really like. When I put on a puffy I want to get WARM and stay that way. Camo means nothing to me. It's all about warmth, light physical weight and how it's made. The companies which make expedition-quality gear are the ones I favor. The best I've ever owned is a Feathered Friends Helios jacket. They make hooded and regular versions. Super-warm but very compressible/packable. The clamshell handwarmer pockets beat any other design I've seen or tried.

CJ6d8lGl.jpg

For the last several years now I’ve been wearing a Black Kuiu SD hooded jacket and it’s served me very well. It’s by no means a super warm jacket, but it’s plenty warm enough for my usual needs and it’s light and packs down very small. I was out in it last night for about an hour or so in -2° weather with just a sweatshirt on underneath and was totally comfortable. That said, a jacket with box style baffles sewn in is going to be much, much warmer than anything that just has through baffles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Clarence

WKR
I've never yet found a puffy in the hunting-specific brands which I really like. When I put on a puffy I want to get WARM and stay that way. Camo means nothing to me. It's all about warmth, light physical weight and how it's made. The companies which make expedition-quality gear are the ones I favor. The best I've ever owned is a Feathered Friends Helios jacket. They make hooded and regular versions. Super-warm but very compressible/packable. The clamshell handwarmer pockets beat any other design I've seen or tried.

CJ6d8lGl.jpg
It appears like the Helios is a short cut? I was eyeing this jacket and nunatak and it seems common to have this length. Is there a utility reason for this? I fear my back would be exposed while sitting and glassing. These jackets seem to be a few levels above the hunting brand's.

Warmest puffy ive used so far is Nunatak, I also had mine custom made longer. You can choose the fill wt as well as the material wt, etc

Trypad

FNG
I went with the GHAR as it was on sale and I also liked the pattern. Other reviews and reading about the technology in it helped. Got down to the negatives a couple days in Montana and it definitely helped to have it. Not sure it's the best, but I like it!

It appears like the Helios is a short cut? I was eyeing this jacket and nunatak and it seems common to have this length. Is there a utility reason for this? I fear my back would be exposed while sitting and glassing. These jackets seem to be a few levels above the hunting brand's.

I agree the picture makes it look short. It is definitely not short in reality, but neither is it a parka. Mine sits on top of hips (I'm 6-0 exactly) and coverage has never been an issue for me. I wish Feathered Friends would list the back length in their specs as the image is deceiving. Anyway, this jacket isn't just another puffy sporting 3-5 ounces of down. It has almost 8 ounces of 900 fp down and weighs 18 oz in a medium. It's like buying a super-quality sleeping bag which will last 10-20 years if cared for properly. It's a made-in-USA furnace.

Clarence

WKR
I agree the picture makes it look short. It is definitely not short in reality, but neither is it a parka. Mine sits on top of hips (I'm 6-0 exactly) and coverage has never been an issue for me. I wish Feathered Friends would list the back length in their specs as the image is deceiving. Anyway, this jacket isn't just another puffy sporting 3-5 ounces of down. It has almost 8 ounces of 900 fp down and weighs 18 oz in a medium. It's like buying a super-quality sleeping bag which will last 10-20 years if cared for properly. It's a made-in-USA furnace.
Thanks. That flag on the tag means alot to me.