Best down puffy. That's actually warm

IdahoElk

WKR
The Ghar is fantastic as is the SG Gruman. No offense Rodney, but if you think the KUIU SD and the Uncompaghre are warm, you don't spend much time in the cold. Both nice jackets, but not warm by any stretch. (yes, I have them both) The Sitka Kelvin WS is also a very nice puffy, but a bit heavier than the others.

I've been in my Super Down pro to 0 degrees and I was plenty warm, how cold are you talking?

Kotaman

WKR
I've been in my Super Down pro to 0 degrees and I was plenty warm, how cold are you talking?

I’d put the “Pro” in the same category as the Grumman and the Gahr. The KUIU SD Ultra is the jacket I was speaking of for not being real warm. Great early season mountain jacket though.

IdahoElk

WKR
I’d put the “Pro” in the same category as the Grumman and the Gahr. The KUIU SD Ultra is the jacket I was speaking of for not being real warm. Great early season mountain jacket though.

Oh, I agree the ultra stays home when temps get below 30

I agree with @Kevin Dill in that camo or hunting brand stuff doesn't cut it (or at least the stuff I've tried or used) when it comes to quality construction, lightweight and flat out getting and keeping a guy warm.

Western Mountaineering Vapor jacket. Wind proof and warm, I love mine.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Western mountaineering flash.
I agree with @Kevin Dill in that camo or hunting brand stuff doesn't cut it (or at least the stuff I've tried or used) when it comes to quality construction, lightweight and flat out getting and keeping a guy warm.

Western Mountaineering Vapor jacket. Wind proof and warm, I love mine.

Thats where I was awhile back, None of the hunting brands had what I wanted and I didnt want a camo down jacket, I figured I'd look towards down based companies (feathered friends and WM), I ended up with the WM stuff and I'm very happy with it. I have other puffy stuff for other uses (kifaru LPP pants and parka for moose season).

OP
F
I was looking at the feathered friends stuff I'll check out the Helios anyone running the eos?? Wondering how warm it is

I don't have the FF Eos Jacket, but I do have the predecessor called the Daybreak. 3.7 oz down (medium) is less than half the fill of a Helios. FF also built it with a much lighter (and somewhat more fragile) outer fabric vs the Helios. My interpretation of the Eos Jacket is it's a warm-up or layering piece, but not that thick puffy I want when I'm sitting for hours in cold wind.

Maybe we should be classifying puffy jackets as Level I (less than 5 oz down and moderately warm) and Level II (5 oz or more down and very warm). Of course a Level III exists in the form of 10 oz (down) and beyond but few guys are likely to want them.

GLB

WKR
I think you would be happy with the Stone Glacier puffy. I picked one up this year and very happy with it. Lightweight and warm, packs down to nothing.

OP
F
I don't have the FF Eos Jacket, but I do have the predecessor called the Daybreak. 3.7 oz down (medium) is less than half the fill of a Helios. FF also built it with a much lighter (and somewhat more fragile) outer fabric vs the Helios. My interpretation of the Eos Jacket is it's a warm-up or layering piece, but not that thick puffy I want when I'm sitting for hours in cold wind.

Maybe we should be classifying puffy jackets as Level I (less than 5 oz down and moderately warm) and Level II (5 oz or more down and very warm). Of course a Level III exists in the form of 10 oz (down) and beyond but few guys are likely to want them.
What size Helios are you running. Curious about the actual weight. I'm a xl. Called ff but never heard back

*zap*

WKR
I do not have any of these FF outers but I like that the Volant has a removable hood and two interior poackets....I believe all the jackets have 2 way zippers which is nice. Helios comes with hood or without. The Helios vest also looks good to me.

What size Helios are you running. Curious about the actual weight. I'm a xl. Called ff but never heard back

Mine is a size large. I'm 6-0 and 200. I can wear it over my base layers and warmer soft-shell, I would say the fit is appropriate....don't size down.

I need to sell my Daybreak Jacket as it no longer gets worn.

Clrems77

WKR
my $50 dollar eddie bauer puffy i got at costco is pretty hard to beat compresses to nothing and when you stag it and rip it on a tree branch (it will happen) you can buy a new one and not be out $300.

Theyre still on Costco.com. Just ordered one for the wife.

I ordered the Eddie Bauer Evertherm Down jacket. The info on it says it has 30g of Evertherm down. It’s supposed to be here in a few days. I’m interested to see how warm it really is. I was planning to wear it under the Jet Stream jacket when sitting/glassing in cold temps. It’ll be hard to beat my Kifaru LPP which is my favorite piece of clothing I own.

Kostrize

WKR
Comparing the Helios to the Montbell Frostline. The Helios has Pertex she’ll material and 900 FP down, but is sewn through and 100 more. Does box construction make that much of a difference in warmth? The Montbell seems like it’s a much better deal. Don’t know of any other puffies with box construction under 300

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure... there’s not a label on it it was just what they had at Costco