Best down puffy. That's actually warm

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
A picture's worth a thousand words. Thanks for the explanation. Funny, RAB pops up as one of the manufacturers that makes a box baffled down jacket. I've been looking at theirs. I'm not sure why more hunting folk don't look at their stuff.

Only downside to box baffle is the extra weight because it has more material in the jacket.

RAB makes great stuff but it’s a little pricey. I prefer the Montbell closeout site for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only downside to box baffle is the extra weight because it has more material in the jacket.

RAB makes great stuff but it’s a little pricey. I prefer the Montbell closeout site for this reason.

Well you get warmth for the weight. You’d need more down and shell material in a sewn through design to get the same warmth. The guys on the Backpacking Light forum have shown the box baffle is an efficient use of weight. THe downside is the cost.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
Huge fan of my Arc'Teryx Cerium LT Hoody, and I've tried a bunch. My XL is 12.1 oz. The Grumman in the new brown/green color may be what I had chosen if they had that option a few months ago, I had the space man version and loved it just couldn't use that color for my taste to pull double duty as an around town jacket. I tried multiple Sitka/FL/Kuiu pieces plus the Stone Glacier and Arc'Teryx and was just wowed by the quality of the Arc'Teryx. Kept me plenty warm sitting around camp in near 0 temps on my last elk hunt.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I went through all of the high-end hunting brands trying to figure this out for myself last year and ultimately settled on The North Face Summit L3. I know TNF has become a useless fashion brand but remember they still *do* make high-end, time-tested technical apparel. I wore the Summit in multiple deep-freeze conditions in the Wyoming backountry this year (glassing, where we can all agree you end up the coldest) and it was *phenomenal*. It fits perfectly, compresses down very small, and has little features like a longer cut that wraps down around your bottom half to keep the cold out. Highly recommended. I found one in a two-tone forest green/black and aside from being a little shiny, it fits right in with my FL, SG and Patagonia gear.

Edit: also, it took top marks on warmth and pack-ability from OutdoorGearLab last year.

bsnedeker

WKR
I saw a few votes for the SKRE Ptarmigan...in my experience I would not recommend. Thing started unraveling on the first trip I used it on. It only came out of the pack when I was stationary, and went back in the pack before I started moving again and yet the thing couldn't handle 1 trip. I'm still on the lookout for something that works...eyeballing the Grumman.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Well you get warmth for the weight. You’d need more down and shell material in a sewn through design to get the same warmth. The guys on the Backpacking Light forum have shown the box baffle is an efficient use of weight. THe downside is the cost.

Yeah, all things being equal I choose boxed baffled design every time.

I'm not sure this would classify as a "puffy", but it is down. I bought this jacket a few weeks ago on sale from some recommendations here. When I received it, I was very skeptical. So much so I didn't even remove the tags for a few days. It was very thin and very light. Long story short, Ive been blown away by this jacket. Its extremely warm with only a cotton t-shirt on under it. I tested the wind blocking ability by driving 50-55mph down the road in my UTV in 33-35 degree temps. It was amazing. Ive worn it the last two days in rainy 40 degree weather and it does very well. I have not let it get soaked, but it sheds water very well. Just thought I would share it incase someone is wanting a very "low bulk" down jacket that is extremely warm.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Which one do you like? I had my eye on that Montbell Mirage (I think?) but the 7D scared me away as too light.

I actually own the mirage. Super warm for its weight. You’re right it doesn’t have a very sturdy face fabrics but I only use it for stationary glassing. And the down doesn’t come through the fabric so I have no complaints.

I have ran a Rab Nuetrino for three years now. Never been cold in 3rd rifle CO. No comparison in my opinion to any hunting brand or EB unfortunately. Like a portable sleeping bag with an awesome hood. About 30% larger than nalgene packed. Awesome piece of gear.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone tried Nunatak?

Not personally, no. But I’ve only heard great reviews from members on here.

Quick look at their stats. They seem very warm with loads of high quality down, but you’re paying for that price.

Their down line looks a lot more higher quality than their apex line, though. But they’re a lot cheaper so you get what you pay for.

Clarence

WKR
Not personally, no. But I’ve only heard great reviews from members on here.

Quick look at their stats. They seem very warm with loads of high quality down, but you’re paying for that price.

Their down line looks a lot more higher quality than their apex line, though. But they’re a lot cheaper so you get what you pay for.

I think all of their down jackets are box sewn. Their down sweater is box baffled, and has slightly more down, plus its 900 fill power, compared to the hunting brand's offerings. About not much more than a super down pro from kuiu...no wonder they are jammed up.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with others on the thread that the Kryptek Ghar is a top quality puffy. I had it out well below zero layered with a Arma fleece and it was warm and blocked the wind. Really lofty.

It breathes better than a lot of other puffies too. No hood though, so you either have to wear a hat or have a hood on another layer.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I think all of their down jackets are box sewn. Their down sweater is box baffled, and has slightly more down, plus its 900 fill power, compared to the hunting brand's offerings. About not much more than a super down pro from kuiu...no wonder they are jammed up.

I didn’t see where it stated how much down that piece has. But it’s more customizable than the kuiu pro. It’s also cheaper than the kuiu and numateks coldest jacket so there’s that...

I've never yet found a puffy in the hunting-specific brands which I really like. When I put on a puffy I want to get WARM and stay that way. Camo means nothing to me. It's all about warmth, light physical weight and how it's made. The companies which make expedition-quality gear are the ones I favor. The best I've ever owned is a Feathered Friends Helios jacket. They make hooded and regular versions. Super-warm but very compressible/packable. The clamshell handwarmer pockets beat any other design I've seen or tried.

CJ6d8lGl.jpg
Helios is sewn through construction

Attachments

• 5B50492B-9011-4475-BA95-1C87C372C927.png
    5B50492B-9011-4475-BA95-1C87C372C927.png
    282.2 KB · Views: 104
Helios is sewn through construction

Not exactly sure why I was quoted. The Helios line (vest, jacket and pants) has always been sewn-thru constructed.

As a personal aside (my own views) I've owned many different high-end down bags and garments since the early '80s. I've worn both box-baffled and sewn-thru jackets and vests in that time. What I've learned is that there's a lot more to a jacket's performance than baffle type. You can find a hundred (maybe ten thousand) opinions on which is best in use....warmest, more stuffable, weighs less, etc. What I can tell you is this: If my experiences taught me one baffle type was clearly superior in actual hunting use, that's what I'd use. Period. In hunting uses I haven't found the box baffle to be warmer or better (a nebulous term) than the sewn-thru....in a quality line of gear. A garment's warmth and performance is a function of the whole, and should be evaluated that way.

If I was riding a snow machine or ATV in sub-zero temps (I have)....
If I was spending all day on a frozen lake out in the wind (I have)....
If I was going on a winter muskox hunt (I haven't)....

I'd likely be in some high quality b-b parka. I own one incidentally, and have used it the past few days while fishing. Box baffles don't automatically mean 'warmer' or 'better'. Sewn-thru doesn't mean someone took the easy way to build a garment or bag. They are simply different means to an end,

Last edited: