Best down puffy. That's actually warm

I’m a huge fan of down. The weight to warmth ratio is pretty unreal, and it’s so compressible why wouldn’t you throw it into your pack? I look at it as not only a comfort item but also a safety item. I’ve been on some extremely cold hunts both with and without down and once I could actually afford it, it’s never left out of my hunting pack if there is any chance at all of cold weather. Just my .02

mbailey25

WKR
My First Lite Uncompahgre is my go to with anything from 20's up to 60's in temp. When around freezing and below, I can hike around with it on pretty much all day because it breathes so well. From the 40's to 60's its excellent for putting into your pack (BTW, it stuffs into it's own pocket to for a legit pillow) and using when you get to a glassing knob. The best jacket First Lite makes and is tried and true!

Big Ern

WKR
I just got the Stone Glacier Grumman (in the new green/tan colorway) and am pretty darn impressed with warmth to weight. Nice piece of kit. It compresses down really well and will be a good addition to the pack without a weight penalty.

I was previously using a Patagonia down sweater and an LL Bean down sweater. No comparison. SG is warmer and lighter.

ChrisAU

WKR
I just got the Stone Glacier Grumman (in the new green/tan colorway) and am pretty darn impressed with warmth to weight. Nice piece of kit. It compresses down really well and will be a good addition to the pack without a weight penalty.

I was previously using a Patagonia down sweater and an LL Bean down sweater. No comparison. SG is warmer and lighter.

If that color had been available last summer when I was playing puffy roulette that is likely what I'd have, the Grumman is excellent. And the color doesn't make a damn for hunting, I just didn't care for the space man version for around town and wanted my puffy to pull double duty.

tdot

WKR
I've worked and played over the years in temps below -40c. Only 20ish days a winter as I have to travel to those conditions. I use the same puffy I use at -10c, but throw a Goretex shell over top and an extra mod-layer underneath. I find it easier to be active with this setup. I have a Marmot that is 6" thick and I just don't use it, cuz if I lift my arm to break the frozen snot off my nose, I sweat.

I picked up one of the Eddie Bauer puffy down jackets this year too. Wasn't 100% confident the Sitka Fanatic bibs/jacket I bought would live up to the hype so wanted some bit of insurance. Fortunately I never had to use it. Sitka heavyweight merino bottom/top underneath were sufficient for Wisconsin Nov bow hunt.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a huge fan of down. The weight to warmth ratio is pretty unreal, and it’s so compressible why wouldn’t you throw it into your pack? I look at it as not only a comfort item but also a safety item. I’ve been on some extremely cold hunts both with and without down and once I could actually afford it, it’s never left out of my hunting pack if there is any chance at all of cold weather. Just my .02

Agreed 100%. Down is own is those items that’s so high performance and has so few downsides that every hunter or mountaineer should own at least one piece. If you don’t want to take it with you that’s your decision but for me it goes everywhere unless I’m truck hunting or base camp hunting in a trailer. And even then I’ll still bring it just in case.

I mean, it keeps helpless baby ducks/geese warm in the Arctic I think it will work for us two legged big brained apes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a few votes for the SKRE Ptarmigan...in my experience I would not recommend. Thing started unraveling on the first trip I used it on. It only came out of the pack when I was stationary, and went back in the pack before I started moving again and yet the thing couldn't handle 1 trip. I'm still on the lookout for something that works...eyeballing the Grumman.

Did you send it back? We have a lifetime warranty on all the gear. This should not have happened. Please feel free to reach out to our customer service team or email me personally at [email protected] and we will replace or refund you.

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Any more rumors of the ghar jacket getting the hooded addition? I also saw kings camo is coming out with a new puffy.

Lots of good mountaineering jackets made by SG, Arcterex, RAB, Patagonia, etc. That’s where the value is if you ask me.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the EB 800 fill with the windblock membrane for 125, it's been great to wear down in the teens. I have NOT sat with it at all, just general use. I was hoping to use it for casual use and as an underlayer in cold weather for hunting. Still watching this thread for a dedicated hunting puffy. I don't think I'd go wrong choosing any of the highly recommended ones in this thread.

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
size fit well, i went with 2x and i have plenty of layer room without a lot of bulk. I honestly didn't look at the evertherm a lot because the downlite just seemed to fit my need.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
So just reading over this thread since I've been looking endlessly at all the options for puffy's. I found the Eddie Bauer Downlight Hoodie on sale for $167.00. It's an 800 fill jacket with a DWR finish. It doesn't say what the fill weight actually is but I contacted the company and they said a Large was 152.52 grams or 5.37 oz. Not bad in my opinion. I think the fill weight on the Stone Glacier is right around the same at 5.3 oz. Fabric probably isn't as durable but still a crazy good value if anyone is still looking to pick one up. Sale is running directly on their site. Figured I'd pass on the info to anyone that's interested.

OP
F
So just reading over this thread since I've been looking endlessly at all the options for puffy's. I found the Eddie Bauer Downlight Hoodie on sale for $167.00. It's an 800 fill jacket with a DWR finish. It doesn't say what the fill weight actually is but I contacted the company and they said a Large was 152.52 grams or 5.37 oz. Not bad in my opinion. I think the fill weight on the Stone Glacier is right around the same at 5.3 oz. Fabric probably isn't as durable but still a crazy good value if anyone is still looking to pick one up. Sale is running directly on their site. Figured I'd pass on the info to anyone that's interested.
What was the weight of the jacket overall