Best down puffy. That's actually warm

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up an Eddie Bauer Cirruslite Down Parka a couple weeks ago. The brown color was on clearance for $130, plus a $5 off rewards deal, and 50% off. I walked out for like $68 or something like that. For a budget coat here are the specs: Size large weighs 24 oz. with 8 oz. of 550fp. It also has an interior lining which is different than most of the other EB down coats. I'm hoping this will add to warmth and wind resistance. I've only had it out with the dog a few times so far, but my first impressions are that it is going to be very warm. I've been using an EB Microtherm2.0 which is their ultra light down model, and it didn't offer much warmth at all.

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
I considered ordering one. They get awesome reviews. They aren't even taking orders right now due too personnel shortage and backlog. They look awesome.
I had a puffy and the pants made for a sheep Hunt I did in the Arctic Circle. Was very satisfied with both. My wife is now having a set made for Elk Season

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Another solid alternative that can be found cheap are used North Face nuptse jackets. They were the popular jackets in the 90s and can be found on ebay for cheap. Older ones are still US made. Not the warmest or the lightest but they last forever. I just retired my original that lasted 25 hard years and found an exact replacement that had been hanging in the closet just as long. I couldnt agree more about how much better mountaineering stuff is for the same price,it's just not camo.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I've never yet found a puffy in the hunting-specific brands which I really like. When I put on a puffy I want to get WARM and stay that way. Camo means nothing to me. It's all about warmth, light physical weight and how it's made. The companies which make expedition-quality gear are the ones I favor. The best I've ever owned is a Feathered Friends Helios jacket. They make hooded and regular versions. Super-warm but very compressible/packable. The clamshell handwarmer pockets beat any other design I've seen or tried.

CJ6d8lGl.jpg

This jacket is warm and super well made. Great quality. The reason I sold it is the fitment is absolute garbage. Size XL didn’t even go past my belt buckle and it’s nowhere near long enough in the back either.

Also if or reach your arms out for something your wrists are instantly exposed. I am 6’1” 185 not a monster of a guy at all.

Last edited:

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my 2cents, I've done a ton of research on down, my goal is I mainly use it in the treestand hunting in the Midwest. I don't handel the cold very well and FREZZE late season when those cold winds pick up. Down is my outter later, I put a camo big oversized(so it doesn't affect the loft) long sleeve tee or spandex over it to conceal and it takes almost all of the nose out. I have bigger forearms and biceps combined with the way I anchor using down with good base layers is the only way I get enough clothes on and still draw back and hit my anchor point.

I found a really good post from another group I found that really helped me a ton to understand down much better. I'll see if I can find the tread again.

I've have a Patagonia down sweater I've used for years, It's pretty decent but I think better suited in your pack for a outwest backup, Or just a good mid insulating layer. I have the older kuiu down vest and pants, so I can't speak for their newer stuff, but I think their down is mediocre if your needing warmth.

About a year ago I decided the best jacket for me was the FF helios, alought I was a little concerned about it being shorter due to it being a climbing belay jacket, but because of my 5'7 frame I would be okay with lower back coverage. I went to order it in Sep from a recommendation to get it early because they sell out for months at a time. And yep, the larges in any color where sold out, and they didn't get back in stock till Jan-Feb I beilive is when I received the in stock emails.

After a few weeks of homework I realized the Rab Neutrino pro jacket checked all the boxes, and maybe was even better suited for me than the FF. Three main reasons it was longer, the hood is designs to go over a helmet, and the down is treated to repel water. I don't remeber all the fill wt and oz off hand, but it was comparable if not better than FF helios, and from what I found, not many if any other jackets out there pack that much warmth it that price range.

After a little shopping I found a crazy good deal on the Rab. I don't think there's any way I could be more impressed with it, it's AMAZING. The fit, the cuffs and pockets all seem perfect to me, and it's unbelievably warm. I'm 5'7 190 wider shoulders and chest, the large completely covers my butt, not to bulky, but plenty of room for layering and movement in the forearms and armpits which is where I usually have trouble. The best feature of it for a hunter esp treestand hunting, the way the hood is designed to go over a helmet, If you need the hood up I can have a hat on and it just kinda floats A little bit above and on the sides of my head, so you don't get all that loud rustling nose when you move your head side to side, but still plenty of warmth and protection, and it can also be tightened up to really keep your head warm.

Sorry so Long winded, Just wanted to pass along what I've come up with!

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider

This helped me alot, check out post#5

sneaky

"DADDY"
Another solid alternative that can be found cheap are used North Face nuptse jackets. They were the popular jackets in the 90s and can be found on ebay for cheap. Older ones are still US made. Not the warmest or the lightest but they last forever. I just retired my original that lasted 25 hard years and found an exact replacement that had been hanging in the closet just as long. I couldnt agree more about how much better mountaineering stuff is for the same price,it's just not camo.
I wore the hell out of mine til I outgrew it and gave it to my dad. It's still going strong

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
This jacket is warm and super well made. Great quality. The reason I sold it is the fitment is absolute garbage. Size XL didn’t even go past my belt buckle and it’s nowhere near long enough in the back either.

Also if or reach your arms out for something your wrists are instantly exposed. I am 6’1” 185 not a monster of a guy at all.
That's where I think Nunatak blows them out of the water. You can add as much to the length as you want, length to the sleeves, pick your pocket style, material, color, overfill etc. Even have in between sizes. Truly custom. 900+ down fill and lots of it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ozyclint

WKR
another vote for nunatak. just received a PCT jacket and pants. yes it's apex insulation and not down which is what this thread is about but their ability and willingness to make customised sizing and features is worth the extra you pay.

it sure is cheaper than buying something, finding out you don't like the fit or some other features and selling it, then repeating the process again with something else.
buy once, cry once.

Mosby

WKR
I have a Kryptek hooded down jacket that I really like. It was on clearance and I paid around $50 for it. I take it out west with me every year. Sometimes you get lucky. Most of the time you get what you pay for.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if I posted in this thread already but hunting brands I’d go SG grumman, FL chamberlin, or Sitka Kelvin WS.

If you want a lighter option that’s even warmer look at some of the offerings from Montbell.

The hunting brands are quite a bit behind in terms of technology and price than the mountaineering brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

carter33

WKR
I think the Kifaru LPP is pretty great. But I think beyond clothing may have the best in the A7, I am a fan of synthetic though in this department. I have a few pieces of their gear as well as a lot of Sitka and I wouldn’t hesitate to say beyond clothing is just a step above. That being said they also don’t have the same sales so...

I don’t have much experience with down so cannot speak negatively of it.

rj2

WKR

There is a pretty killer deal for someone who wears XL. $86. I have a Small and it weighs around 11oz. Large is supposed to be around 13oz with over 4oz of 850 fill.

I just kept checking that link every day, about once or twice a week they will have a random size in stock it seems like. Got mine a few weeks ago for $86