Best down puffy. That's actually warm

CO Hunter

FNG
I've been really happy with a Patagonia Down Sweater. It works as mid layer or outer layer. I have it in black so it works around town and for fishing...without clearly looking like a camo/hunting piece.

Block

WKR
My SKRE puffy feels like there’s a built in heater. Maybe my favorite piece of hunting clothing Iv ever bought !

JAD915

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the FL Uncompahgre. They seem to run just a touch big. I wear an XL in most FL gear, but a Large in this particular piece. If you can find a FL Cirrus, that's a great piece, too. I picked up a hooded 650 down jacket from Eddie Bauer for $35 about a month ago. I think it's called the CirrusLite. For the price, it's a great jacket.

macabra11

FNG
I have used and loved my Columbia Turbodown 860 with OmniHeat as my primary, everyday, winter coat for a few years. The past couple late rifle seasons when it has been 6º-10º at the start of the day, I used it under a camo shell and have been plenty warm. I also have their OmniHeat Hunting gloves and they are fantastic as well.

I know they make different weights in their TurboDown (TD), but the OmniHeat is where it's at!

I just picked up a second jacket just like mine off Craigslist for $25!!! Now I will have a dedicated one for hunting and one for everyday wear in the winter.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the FL Uncompahgre. They seem to run just a touch big. I wear an XL in most FL gear, but a Large in this particular piece. If you can find a FL Cirrus, that's a great piece, too. I picked up a hooded 650 down jacket from Eddie Bauer for $35 about a month ago. I think it's called the CirrusLite. For the price, it's a great jacket.

I have the uncompahgre. I love the fit and look and wear it around town. That said, I really don’t like it in the field. It’s too heavy and not warm enough to warrant the weight. The kelvin lite is in the same class as it’s about the same weight and it’s synthetic but it’s much warmer to me. Fit and DWR coating and overall look of the Sitka aren’t as nice though. It’s also louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
My SKRE puffy feels like there’s a built in heater. Maybe my favorite piece of hunting clothing Iv ever bought !

People overlook the skre because it doesn’t have the name recognition but it’s a really nice jacket, if we’re talking about the ptarmigan.

5.2 oz is 850 down is warmer than the kuiu superdown pro which is 5 oz of 850. The skre is also $270 vs $400.

The skre camo pattern is really, really ugly though, if that’s something you care about.

Block

WKR
People overlook the skre because it doesn’t have the name recognition but it’s a really nice jacket, if we’re talking about the ptarmigan.

5.2 oz is 850 down is warmer than the kuiu superdown pro which is 5 oz of 850. The skre is also $270 vs $400.

The skre camo pattern is really, really ugly though, if that’s something you care about.

Yup I bought a bunch of SKRE during their Black Friday sale so it was an additional 50% off. I really like their “Summit” pattern,,, but yes the “Mountain Stealth” is hideous.

If you don't mind it being black then the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer 2 is a good one. Extremely light and warm

DVM92

FNG
Was in Scheels and found their Outfitter brand 750 goose down jacket on sale. Has breathable side panels, athletic arms so doesn't get in the way of my bow string and very warm. Packs down small and always in my pack.

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
After reading this, I did some online shopping and just got the Rab Electron jacket large. I am 5’7” 170 lbs. Fit is loose enough for layering and long enough to cover my rear end. Sleeves are long enough I can reach overhead without any wrist exposure. The wrist cuffs have an elastic section that snugs them up. Weighs 17.5 oz on my scale.
Their website states 7 oz of 800 FP down in large.
The color I got is graphene and to my eye is a nice gray color, not too dark nor too light. Does have the European style zipper.
I got mine for around $200

Last edited:
Is the Eddie Bauer fabric durable?
It is thin and I wouldn’t do any brush busting in it, but doesn’t seem cheap if that makes sense. I will wear mine under a Sitka Timberline jacket to block the wind if I’m sitting a lot. I think you would be way too hot if moving much in a down puffy.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
After reading this, I did some online shopping and just got the Rab Electron jacket large. I am 5’7” 170 lbs. Fit is loose enough for layering and long enough to cover my rear end. Sleeves are long enough I can reach overhead without any wrist exposure. The wrist cuffs have an elastic section that snugs them up. Weighs 17.5 oz on my scale.
The color I got is graphene and to my eye is a nice gray color, not too dark nor too light. Does have the European style zipper.

The specs on that jacket look great. A tad heavy if you’re an ounce counter but just lookin at the fill it’s going to be a furnace

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my 2cents, I've done a ton of research on down, my goal is I mainly use it in the treestand hunting in the Midwest. I don't handel the cold very well and FREZZE late season when those cold winds pick up. Down is my outter later, I put a camo big oversized(so it doesn't affect the loft) long sleeve tee or spandex over it to conceal and it takes almost all of the nose out. I have bigger forearms and biceps combined with the way I anchor using down with good base layers is the only way I get enough clothes on and still draw back and hit my anchor point.

I found a really good post from another group I found that really helped me a ton to understand down much better. I'll see if I can find the tread again.

I've have a Patagonia down sweater I've used for years, It's pretty decent but I think better suited in your pack for a outwest backup, Or just a good mid insulating layer. I have the older kuiu down vest and pants, so I can't speak for their newer stuff, but I think their down is mediocre if your needing warmth.

About a year ago I decided the best jacket for me was the FF helios, alought I was a little concerned about it being shorter due to it being a climbing belay jacket, but because of my 5'7 frame I would be okay with lower back coverage. I went to order it in Sep from a recommendation to get it early because they sell out for months at a time. And yep, the larges in any color where sold out, and they didn't get back in stock till Jan-Feb I beilive is when I received the in stock emails.

After a few weeks of homework I realized the Rab Neutrino pro jacket checked all the boxes, and maybe was even better suited for me than the FF. Three main reasons it was longer, the hood is designs to go over a helmet, and the down is treated to repel water. I don't remeber all the fill wt and oz off hand, but it was comparable if not better than FF helios, and from what I found, not many if any other jackets out there pack that much warmth it that price range.

After a little shopping I found a crazy good deal on the Rab. I don't think there's any way I could be more impressed with it, it's AMAZING. The fit, the cuffs and pockets all seem perfect to me, and it's unbelievably warm. I'm 5'7 190 wider shoulders and chest, the large completely covers my butt, not to bulky, but plenty of room for layering and movement in the forearms and armpits which is where I usually have trouble. The best feature of it for a hunter esp treestand hunting, the way the hood is designed to go over a helmet, If you need the hood up I can have a hat on and it just kinda floats A little bit above and on the sides of my head, so you don't get all that loud rustling nose when you move your head side to side, but still plenty of warmth and protection, and it can also be tightened up to really keep your head warm.

Sorry so Long winded, Just wanted to pass along what I've come up with!
Where’d you pick up your Neutrino? Considering it as a top option.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Where’d you pick up your Neutrino? Considering it as a top option.
I picked up a Rab Positron Pro for a good price from Rock and Snow online. For the most part, several of the stores will discount last seasons jackets, the trick is finding one is your size.

Rab makes nice stuff, between my wife and I we have 5 Rab jackets and a Rab -5 sleeping bag. No regrets on any of them. We both use our lightweight down jackets all winter and after 3 winters they are holding up well.

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Rab Positron Pro for a good price from Rock and Snow online. For the most part, several of the stores will discount last seasons jackets, the trick is finding one is your size.

Rab makes nice stuff, between my wife and I we have 5 Rab jackets and a Rab -5 sleeping bag. No regrets on any of them. We both use our lightweight down jackets all winter and after 3 winters they are holding up well.
Everything I’ve had from them has been top notch.

NoWiser

WKR
I bought a Montbell Alpine (not Alpine Light) jacket this year and have been completely blown away by it. I’d highly recommend it to anyone. I can’t not smile every time I put it on and am immediately warm.

I did the same. Really wanted a jacket with box construction but I figure if I'm going on a late season backpack hunt I'll probably throw in a shell anyway which will add some additional warmth.

I'm going to get rid of the colored zipper pulls and hood elastic for something more muted. The color they picked was weird.

2RiversCO

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Rab! The Microlight Alpine kept me warm around 10 degrees with a steady wind in South Dakota bow hunting.