best dry bags

Vernon

FNG
I'm looking for recommendations for dry bags, mainly being used for boating this summer. I don't care if it s a duffle, backpack, or a roll top. I've been looking at Kuiu, Yeti, Filson, Alps, First Lite, etc... This will be something we are throwing in/out of a boat and shore so needs to be pretty durable. Will have like towels, clothes, wallets, and other misc. items in it. I'm sure I will find more uses for them once I own one or two:) Thanks in advance.

Clarktar

WKR
I've historically used NRS. Started using them 14 years ago as a river guide. I am looking at buying some watershed duffel style bags based on the positive performance Larry Bartlett has had with them (his level of use with them is hard to beat so I trust his results).

From my experience, I have used a Bills Bag from NRS in every possible way and they are extremely durable! They are a bit annoying to get into due to the top entry only.

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
Second the NRS bags, pretty bulletproof. And Watersheds stuff, made for the river.

Sea to Summit Big River. Very durable. Good variety of sizes. Waterproof, I believe it was designed for use on the water. Oval shape fits nicely on meat shelf. Used a 65L on the Stryker XL meat shelf on a 4 day hike recently and the lash loops on the side of the big river make it a really secure load. I have a 8, 20, 35 and 65 and all have performed flawlessly.

+1 to Watershed and would add 2nd place isn’t really that close, though that level of performance isn’t necessary for the average user.
Anything from a reputable manufacturer will work for non commercial use.

tiredfeet

FNG
For your intended purposes, assuming weight isn’t an issue I would look at bags made from PVC Tarpaulin (nylon or polyester). It’s much more durable than the PU coated material. Also it depends on how “waterproof” you want your bag. The type of closure makes a difference. Roll top vs zip closure (not sure if that’s the right term vs waterproof zipper. Some line all their bags with a contractor garbage bag for what they say is the 2-3 layers of waterproof material to keep their gear dry. There is lots of information from kayaking, mountaineering, and other outdoor forums and websites that go through material, design and closure methods. There is a big range from cheap to expensive and from protect from splashes and fully submersible. A few companies to start with are Sea to summit, watershed, seal line, etc. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
From the OP's description, a good quality dry bag to keep out rain and water spray when under motor power seems like what he is asking about...I could be wrong.

That said, dry bags and submersible dry bags are two different categories for me....

When talking dry bags, I've relied on several varieties/models of Seal Line for many years...no complaints whatsoever...excellent bags.

However, over the years when it comes to submersible dry bags, it's Watershed all the way for me. I briefly flipped my canoe one year, and the dry bags I used took water...my fault for flipping the canoe, not complaining about the dry bags that were well sealed, and fortunately I had some of my stuff double-bagged (a dry bag inside of a dry bag). However, I am absolutely confident that a Watershed bag would have kept every thing dry inside all by itself.

On week-long remote and long-distance packraft floats, all of my absolute necessities are in Watershed bag(s)...and then other items are in Seal Line dry bag(s).

Edit: This summer I'll be trying out a couple of zip Seal Line dry bags that they claim are submersible to some degree...but I'll still be bringing my Watershed bags.

Last edited:
Picked up some Rockagator bags and packs several years ago on deals on Camofire I believe. Deal was good enough that I picked up a couple as gifts for buddies. We’ve used them wilderness canoeing, boating and on day paddles. We’ve beat the snot out of them and are pretty happy. No issues. You may want to check for any deals on those.

I like the Sea to Summit Big River if it is guaranteed to get wet and needs to stay dry, like thrown in the bottom of a boat. I have been happy with the KUIU dry bags as an insurance policy in my pack sort of deal.