Best e-collar for a 20# dog?

*zap*

WKR
I have not used an e-collar for many years and now need one for a smaller dog. Would appreciate recommendations, thanks.

I have used tritronics pro 500's in the past. I want continuous and momentary with a good range of stimulation levels and something sized for the smaller dog is important to me...might consider a two dog unit.

Last edited:
Educator E-Collar Humane Dog Training Collar with Remote Features 100 Levels of Safe Stimulation, Tapping Sensation, Night Light, Waterproof, Rechargeable https://a.co/d/3NHxJuP

Buddy trains dogs in Denver, and swears by these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garmin is hard to beat, any of them will work. They make a two in one e collar and gps tracker that may interest you as well, I highly recommend it for any dog that may be off leash. Never know what will happen, and it is peace of mind

Wellsdw

WKR
As stated above. E-collar tech. Mini educator. It’s the go to that most trainers use. I’ve got a dogtra, mini educator, and a sportdog. Educator by far the best IMO

As stated above. E-collar tech. Mini educator. It’s the go to that most trainers use. I’ve got a dogtra, mini educator, and a sportdog. Educator by far the best IMO
I know at least a dozen professional dog trainers.

They all use Garmin.

The new Garmin units are plenty small and light enough that guys use them on beagles. Plus they bought tri-tronics, so you can get one that feels and works the same as what you are used to.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Was also recommended mini educator by a good dog trainer. Have two, no complaints. They are solid units.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I just got a alpha 200 with the tt15 X. Holy crap, It’s like a computer in your hand! Ever said to your buddy “I bet that dog ran X miles today!” Yep, it actually tracks them. We went to the park and threw the ball for a few minutes. She did 2.7 miles. Pretty crazy.

HUNTMO-06

FNG
I’m using Sportdog contain and train. Excellent training with the remote and keeps the dog in the wired perimeter.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I had good results with the 500 pro's in the past and am familiar with that handheld. Thinking about the 550 pro plus and a tt-15x. (2.5 ounces more than the mini but 50 hours more battery life). Replaceable battery for the mini is $40 and would then offer more battery life, not sure if you can charge it while it is not in the collar? $750+ is alot for me but hiking and backpack camping with a terrier it may be a good thing to have the track feature. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

I had good results with the 500 pro's in the past and am familiar with that handheld. Thinking about the 550 pro plus and a tt-15x. (2.5 ounces more than the mini but 50 hours more battery life). Replaceable battery for the mini is $40 and would then offer more battery life, not sure if you can charge it while it is not in the collar? $750+ is alot for me but hiking and backpack camping with a terrier it may be a good thing to have the track feature. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
I know a number of guys who have the 500 Pro, they love them.

And if you aren't hunting the dog, being able to see the track doesn't really mean much.

gelton

WKR
I have a Garmin currently but when it goes out I will be replacing it with an educator e-collar linked above.

100 levels of stimulation with a boost button built in. Lots of professional trainers swear by them these days,

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Being able to find the dog if he takes off after an animal will make the tracking feature worthwhile..right now I am pretty sure that I will get a collar with tracking.
I know a number of guys who have the 500 Pro, they love them.

And if you aren't hunting the dog, being able to see the track doesn't really mean much.

Being able to find the dog if he takes off after an animal will make the tracking feature worthwhile..right now I am pretty sure that I will get a collar with tracking.
Oh for sure.

I meant as opposed to the more detailed tracking on a map that the Alpha gives you for another couple hundred dollars.

I have Pointers. It's useful to know where they were, not just where they are.

We don't do anything off leash outside the fence without a tracker on.

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few coonhounds and my wife has a golden retriever. I use the garmin alpha with the tt15 collars… they also make tt15 mini for small dogs, that many beagle owners use. You can also set them if you choose to bark control. Very durable and dependable. If you get sticker shock on the new ones many companies offer refurbished collars and hand helds.
Pm me if you need more info etc.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Oh for sure.

I meant as opposed to the more detailed tracking on a map that the Alpha gives you for another couple hundred dollars.

I have Pointers. It's useful to know where they were, not just where they are.
now I understand your point. Yes the 550 pro plus would be all the tracking feature that I would need...I think. So this is a puppy right now (3.5 months) he needs to grow his neck another 2" for the minimum collar measurement tritronics provides. I have time to think this thru....thinking if he lives 12 years another few hundred may not amount to much so need to consider the pro vs other handhelds.

I hunted with an english pointer male but at that time gps collars were unheard of....did use 500 pro thou. Appreciate your input and sorry I misunderstood your comment.

Last edited:
now I understand your point. Yes the 550 pro plus would be all the tracking feature that I would need...I think. So this is a puppy right now (3.5 months) he needs to grow his neck another 2" for the minimum collar measurement tritronics provides. I have time to think this thru....thinking if he lives 12 years another few hundred may not amount to much so need to consider the pro vs other handhelds.

I hunted with an english pointer male but at that time gps collars were unheard of....did use 500 pro thou. Appreciate your input and sorry I misunderstood your comment.
Yeah, I have two collars GPS and ecollar... (separate units because I also field trial) and they cost up front is high, but per year and for the peace of mind isn't bad at all.

It's easy to make a few more holes! Lol

No problem, it happens.