Best eating spring bears?

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Been watching lots of MeatEater - ready for some bear grease!

Where are the best places to hunt spring bear (archery) where I have a good opportunity to take a nice bear for food purposes?

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Curious as to why you’re wanting to archery hunt? Have you killed a bear before? If you’re truly looking to put some bear meat in the freezer, you aren’t doing yourself any favors by handicapping yourself with a bow. The exception would be hunting with dogs or over bait in the few places where it is legal. Where do you live? Is there anything in particular you’re looking to get out of this hunt besides meat and bear grease? What’s your budget? How much time do you have to hunt? More specifics would help us give you some better tips. To answer your question about the “best place” I would say Idaho over bait if you’re wanting to do it with a bow

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Curious as to why you’re wanting to archery hunt? Have you killed a bear before? If you’re truly looking to put some bear meat in the freezer, you aren’t doing yourself any favors by handicapping yourself with a bow. The exception would be hunting with dogs or over bait in the few places where it is legal. Where do you live? Is there anything in particular you’re looking to get out of this hunt besides meat and bear grease? What’s your budget? How much time do you have to hunt? More specifics would help us give you some better tips. To answer your question about the “best place” I would say Idaho over bait if you’re wanting to do it with a bow
Thanks for your help!

I live in CA. Haven't killed a bear before. Prefer bowhunting because I love it. Would love to spend less than $3,000 to do it, have plenty fo time to do it.

If time is a non issue, I’d get an Idaho OTC tag and go set up baits for at least a week and a half. Probably your best bet to get it done with a bow.

Thanks for your help!

I live in CA. Haven't killed a bear before. Prefer bowhunting because I love it. Would love to spend less than $3,000 to do it, have plenty fo time to do it.
certainly nothing wrong with archery hunting bear.... the pros and cons of spot and stalk bear hunting in the spring.... bear are custom made for bow hunting, you can get away with a lot as long as you keep the wind good.... cons, bear in the spring don't stay put! they are constantly moving, and spotting one way off, they are really good at vanishing before you get there. it's very doable if you keep that in mind and keep that knowledge in your strategy.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
certainly nothing wrong with archery hunting bear.... the pros and cons of spot and stalk bear hunting in the spring.... bear are custom made for bow hunting, you can get away with a lot as long as you keep the wind good.... cons, bear in the spring don't stay put! they are constantly moving, and spotting one way off, they are really good at vanishing before you get there. it's very doable if you keep that in mind and keep that knowledge in your strategy.
Not to mention that using a bow during gun season means a visible bear might get shot by a rifle hunter right out from under you while you’re making a stalk. Last year that happened to me (hunting with a rifle, not bow). My advice, if you’ve never killed a bear or even any big game animal, start with whatever weapon gives you the best odds of success. Lots of guys get all cranked up watching hunting shows thinking it will be easy. Check your expectations. I live in one of the best black bear states in the country and I’m doing pretty well if I can put one on the ground every other year with a rifle

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up; not a alot of fat on them during the spring compared to the fall. My last one had zero fat, which was kind of a bummer.

Not to mention that using a bow during gun season means a visible bear might get shot by a rifle hunter right out from under you while you’re making a stalk. Last year that happened to me (hunting with a rifle, not bow). My advice, if you’ve never killed a bear or even any big game animal, start with whatever weapon gives you the best odds of success. Lots of guys get all cranked up watching hunting shows thinking it will be easy. Check your expectations. I live in one of the best black bear states in the country and I’m doing pretty well if I can put one on the ground every other year with a rifle
i don't disagree, i pack my rifle more days than my bow, but besides them being vanishing artists, they are custom made for archery hunting. i can only think of one bear i killed that i wouldn't have had a good chance of killing the same bear with my bow. i also don't want to shoot a bear with my rifle beyond 300yds, so i'm not shooting cross canyon.... it seems by the time i get on the same side within range i'll shoot, it's not unrealistic to finish the stalk within bow range.

biggest spring bear i have killed i spotted at 400yds right before dark, made a hasty but calculated stalk since it was the last day, and didn't see him again until he was 20yds and closing.... killed him at 12 yds. it just seems every time i get within the range i would shoot, bow range isn't unrealistic.

i like hunting with a rifle or bow, but i was a bow only guy for a lot of years..... nothing wrong with that mindset, whatever your reasoning is.

as far as food goes, unless you are hunting by a dump or something, it will likely eat really good. spring bear are pretty straightforward.

Just a heads up; not a alot of fat on them during the spring compared to the fall. My last one had zero fat, which was kind of a bummer.
you hunting high elevation over east? coast bear usually carry a good amount of fat in the spring. i have heard that in most regions (lack fat) but on the coast i haven't seen that, they have all had thick fat layers that i have seen. i have seen bear skinned in SE AK that had basically zero fat early spring

Oregon

WKR
you hunting high elevation over east? coast bear usually carry a good amount of fat in the spring. i have heard that in most regions (lack fat) but on the coast i haven't seen that, they have all had thick fat layers that i have seen. i have seen bear skinned in SE AK that had basically zero fat early spring
My last 3 spring bears had zero fat and I could see the ocean on all 3 pack outs. I, for one, appreciate the heck out of that! Considering I’ve skinned enough fatty bears to realize I don’t like using my havalon in a jar of petroleum jelly!

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
That's exactly it; they gotta work for their grass out here!

If you live in California I don't see why you would go out of state to hunt bears, Cali is loaded with big bears. Find some bruins that are eating out of apple or cherry orchards and you'll have the best eating bear on earth....with plenty of fat.

Elkfever4

FNG
If you live in California I don't see why you would go out of state to hunt bears, Cali is loaded with big bears. Find some bruins that are eating out of apple or cherry orchards and you'll have the best eating bear on earth....with plenty of fat.
I agree with you 100%. I want to do a archery elk hunt out of state . But I feel until I have a great success rate on my own turf ,it would just be a waste . A lot of new hunters move around to much trying to replicate what they see on tv. Every year we see guys show up the trail head that claim there gonna hunt it for 3-4 days but when we get back they are packing up after day one to head somewhere else. Leaving elk to find elk , smh ! Find a spot that has animals go through the trial and error phase and figure out the animal then start moving and then it will get easier to locate them anywhere you go. Figure them out near home . Then spend the money for a more memorable hunt out of state .

Pro953

WKR

He was asking about spring bear I believe. CA does not have a spring season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was asking about spring bear I believe. CA does not have a spring season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I missed the spring part. The best spring bears are the ones that have been eating piles of frosting and doughnuts for a month instead of slumming on maggot infested winterkill.