Best eating...

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I know this question is very subjective, just seeing if there's a collective agreement on which one I should consider targeting. I won a Texas ranch hunt in an auction and I can choose, Texas Dall, Painted desert, Black Hawaiian, or Corsican Ram. I know this is more of a high fence operation and all of these animals are probably treated very well, so that may increase the likely hood of the meat being better, but figured the group would know better. I've never hunted sheep before. Thank you for the info.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, the sheep farmer is gonna know which one of those bad boys will be the tastiest, first in the chow line, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Apparently the ranch is huge and these are supposed to be all free roaming.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
They are all pretty much the same species and will taste similar.

Generally speaking most people don’t tend to care for the taste of those animals. The ranch owner/manager/guide will likely be shocked when you tell him you want to take home the meat. Those species are typically kept on ranches for their horns as trophies, not so much for table fare.

That being said, many Mexican style dishes can make the meat taste pretty decent. If you’re after the meat is encourage you to shoot a younger animal. The downside there is the horns won’t be as large.

Jacack

WKR
Years ago I was in the similar boat, it was a company owned ranch my boss hot a invite to free of charge so he let me go in his place.

Shot a corsican and black buck. Now I will admit the ranch hands didn't take the best care of the meat but it was pretty bad.

The black buck was terrible as in tougher than leather and just cooking it smelled bad.

I ate some of the ram but most of it made it into crab traps as bait.

Maybe it would be better if I was allowed to handle the cleaning and cooling but that wasn't the case.

As someone else posted above the guys where surprised I wanted any meat at all.

Years ago I was in the similar boat, it was a company owned ranch my boss hot a invite to free of charge so he let me go in his place.

Shot a corsican and black buck. Now I will admit the ranch hands didn't take the best care of the meat but it was pretty bad.

The black buck was terrible as in tougher than leather and just cooking it smelled bad.

I ate some of the ram but most of it made it into crab traps as bait.

Maybe it would be better if I was allowed to handle the cleaning and cooling but that wasn't the case.

As someone else posted above the guys where surprised I wanted any meat at all.
That’s a shame because blackbuck is excellent when taken care of properly!

Zbot

WKR
Yup, try to shoot a few BB does every year for meat. Tasty little antelope but the yield of a jackrabbit.