Best Elk Calling DVD Ever

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
I've been out west elk hunting at least 20 times so I like to think I know a thing or two. I know I've made every mistake possible, many more than once (I'm suborn, stupid or both). Instinctive Elk Calling DVD by Joel Turner was a revelation and explains many calling situations I've been in (needless to say unsuccessful).

One thing's for sure, Joel can talk elk better that the elk can! Wow, it's unbelievable what he can do with a mouth reed but he was 2x RMEF world calling champ! I have no affiliation with him other than talking to him on the phone about thumb shooting a trad bow. He did mention his elk calling system and naturally I was a bit skeptical. All due respect to some of the others here who have elk calling CD/DVDs the aggressive systems don't work. Well they can on occasion but you only get one shot. When it fails the bull is gone for good. Not a big deal if you have lots of other bulls to chase, but for the average out of state hunter who has maybe a week to hunt and little or no scouting time aggressive is not the way to go, especially in hard hunted areas like CO. I know they have cost me a bunch of bulls there. I can only say aggressive calling has worked once, and not worked dozens of times.

Joel's technique isn't aggressive, nor does it require knowing 15 different calls. It's actually quite simple. He can be found on YouTube but his elk calling DVD is only for sale at A&H archery as far as I know. My main reason for posting this is if everyone quit bumping elk off public land we would all be better off. You can hunt the same herd for a week if you don't go running in there bugling challenge calls every time. Sometimes its best to back out and wait for a better opportunity!

One thing you mentioned caught my attention. You mention only getting 1 chance. This is what a great elk killer and I were talking about. When dealing with herd bulls, you are likely to only get one chance so make it count. Because you likely will not get another chance at him. Once this bull is educated your odds fall off pretty steep that you will call this same bull in again. I think he made a great point and though he wasn't talking about a particular system when he said this, it probably holds true for Joel's "system" as well. In all due respect, I don't believe in "backing out" either. Once I find them, I stay on them. I'm there to kill an elk. Once you back out there is no guarantee the elk will still be there later or someone else won't blow thru that area sending elk to the next county.

OP
MAT

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
Taking a big risk in a low probability situation are worse odds than backing out if you are sure no one else will bump them.

You have to know when to hold em, know when to fold em. But these agressive proponents never mention that they say thier methods work everywhere every time. But they don't have limited time and a limited number of elk to hunt like most of us.

We were talking about OTC elk where opportunity can be fleeting. Besides, sitting on the fringes of a bedding area and waiting them out is pretty low risk while keeping tabs on them. And that herd bull may just get up and move around his harem keeping them in check. You might even get a shot opportunity at this time.