Best elk calling video/cd/youtube for beginner?

tbarile

FNG
I want to learn how to use a diaphragm call for my hunt this fall. I've watched a few youtube videos and have been practicing but looking for advice on who has the best instructions out there. Thanks

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Give Elknut and Cory Jacobson a look, both are excellent callers.

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Open your phone’s App Store and download the Elknut app. It’s the best deal I know of. The app has the full range of calls for both bulls and cows. You can hear Paul demonstrating them as well as actual elk doing the same calls. Tons of useful tips in written, audio and video clips.

Supercool feature! You can record your own efforts and compare to the real animals doing the same...

I own sets of Paul’s videos, took Cory Jacobsen’s Elk University (recommendable), have read and watched everything I could get my hands on over the past few years, but the Elknut App has been the most versatile (use it wherever I wish), complete and best value....
I bought it when it first came out for under $10.....easily worth 10x that for a new or newer elk caller...

psp8ball

FNG
I second both of the above pieces of advice. I would also add to not get frustrated as you learn and try different diaphragm styles if you're really struggling. I'm an intermediate skill level caller with a diaphragm. I am pretty good with my Raging Bull from Rocky Mountain game calls. I just got a "Contender" from Elk 101 and could barely make a squeak when I first opened it. I am getting better but it's still really rough.

Point is, I was shocked at how much difference the style of diaphragm effected what sounds I can make. Truly made me understand that user error isn't always the answer. Sometimes different style calls just work better for people.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Spot on. I’ve been playing with a Rocky mountain grey amp for a couple weeks now, I just switched to an Elk 101 all star. It was like handing Kenny G a duck call then handing him a trumpet. Still need lots of polish but...

Teejay68

FNG
I like watching the born and raised guys, especially when they have Dirk Durham, Cory Jacobsen and Jason Phelps. Watching not only how often/when they bugle, but how they interact with the bugle. Cut the elk off and scream back at him or sneak in, or run in. They don’t get in to the why they do it as much, but I like seeing different scenarios play out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roe hunting resources is pretty good for beginners. Much more than how to use a call and there is a charge, but tons of good info.

87TT

WKR
Open your phone’s App Store and download the Elknut app. It’s the best deal I know of. The app has the full range of calls for both bulls and cows. You can hear Paul demonstrating them as well as actual elk doing the same calls. Tons of useful tips in written, audio and video clips.

Supercool feature! You can record your own efforts and compare to the real animals doing the same...

I own sets of Paul’s videos, took Cory Jacobsen’s Elk University (recommendable), have read and watched everything I could get my hands on over the past few years, but the Elknut App has been the most versatile (use it wherever I wish), complete and best value....
I bought it when it first came out for under $10.....easily worth 10x that for a new or newer elk caller...

^^^^^^^this

I'm a beginner as well! One I haven't seen talked about is Chris Roe's platform (RoeHuntingResources). Very informative and has a different style of calling compared to others mentioned. I have Elk University and it's well worth it. ElkNut seems like another good one! I might purchase it soon.

nphunter

WKR
I don’t know of a specific video but Paul/Elknut has the best info available IMO. You will be ahead of the game buying his Videos/CD’s and app.