Best High End Hunting Backpack

• Exo Mountain K3 4800

• Kifaru Duplex Hoodlum/Reckoning

• Mystery Ranch Metcalf

• Stone Glacier Xcurve

Results are only viewable after voting.

hikenhunt

WKR
Another vote for trying out as many as you can. It's all about personal fit and preference. Lot's of good choices out there, good luck!

I prefer external frame as to have a meat shelf between the frame and the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many of the newer packs have a meat shelf while having a "internal" frame structure. For a long time I preferred the external frame for heavy loads, I liked being able to lash back to the frame to secure the load and the big shelf to support everything. I have since been very pleased with several packs that have an enclosed frame and either a type of panel to secure things between frame and bag or even a simple flap between the bag and frame.

@bloom1gr missed quoting your question.

bloom1gr

FNG
I'm still pretty new to the packs/meat packing scene, and had mostly heard or seen guys talking about having the external frames for the majority of the meat packing. Just wondered how many do it or what pros/cons you find (if any) between having that external frame or packing everything internally or on an internal frame.

I'm guessing the main benefit with an external frame or meat shelf is the ability for the meat to cool off better, and probably a little easier on clean-up..?

I feel like maybe I should explain my definition of the internal/external packs. I don't know exactly how these newer packs systems fit in, I guess they are a hybrid. To me an external frame pack is one with a frame exposed all the way around the pack. An internal frame is a pack that doesn't have the frame exposed.

After thinking about it I can see how these pack systems can be an external frame, and maybe they are. I just don't consider them one. Until I have a exposed bar running over my head, and frame sections exposed down the sides I haven't considered them external. Even the kifaru system I thought of as internal. Maybe I'm backwards on this.

bloom1gr

FNG
Yeah, that's my understanding. I'm checking out the Kifaru packs right now because I'd never heard of them until reading this. Here's a screenshot of the Reckoning frame detaching from the frame. Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 7.51.10 AM.png

Yeah, that's my understanding. I'm checking out the Kifaru packs right now because I'd never heard of them until reading this. Here's a screenshot of the Reckoning frame detaching from the frame. View attachment 182532

From years of using a big external frame I only considered it an external frame when I could lash things back to the frame anywhere I wanted to. My exo has a similar but smaller frame wrapped in fabric, it's outside of the bag and can be used on its own if I use a panel or something like that, but I can't really tie something to it with Paracord and take off. Guess I could if I really had to.

bloom1gr

FNG
From years of using a big external frame I only considered it an external frame when I could lash things back to the frame anywhere I wanted to. My exo has a similar but smaller frame wrapped in fabric, it's outside of the bag and can be used on its own if I use a panel or something like that, but I can't really tie something to it with Paracord and take off. Guess I could if I really had to.
How big of a weight difference do you notice between the different style of external frames? I feel like the fabric covered ones might be a little more limited in that regard, and depending on the pack or what you're doing you might be able to get away with it. But if pretty comparable in weight I might prefer the exposed metal frame.

How big of a weight difference do you notice between the different style of external frames? I feel like the fabric covered ones might be a little more limited in that regard, and depending on the pack or what you're doing you might be able to get away with it. But if pretty comparable in weight I might prefer the exposed metal frame.

Most of the exposed frames I have used were actually pretty light, but that's without a bag or only a single giant top load bag.

Depends on the manufacturer but a lot of the wrapped frames are pretty light, stone glacier, seek outside, and exo come to mind as being pretty light. Probably lighter than most of the exposed frame packs.

I have never liked to day hunt with an exposed frame, if I packed in somewhere with one I carried another backpack for a daybag. The exposed hollow metal tube is not very quiet if it contacts anything.

Packs are pretty personal. What works for me might not work for you. Different hunting styles play into it as well. I have been hunting with an Exo k2 for the past 3 years now. I still have a Cabela's external Frame that I rarely use. For training I use a Hill People Gear decker pack. I also use this as freighter pack now. Really like the hpg Decker, I just think the Exo suits me a little better for hunting. If I am going in to just haul meat out I'm taking the Decker. The hpg is built so you remove the stays and fit them to your back. It's only a few packs that offer that, many probably don't need it. But I'm a flat back no ass so I have trouble with pack fit.

Wapiti1

WKR
I think it would be better to split them up as rigid frame and flexible frame. The old welded external is rigid and all of the new designs are flexible to some degree.

Good point on the stays. Metal stays can be formed to you, and carbon fiber cannot. I've bent the stays on all my packs to better fit me. I'm the opposite and have a deeper lumbar with a semi-fat ass.

The best load hauler that I've used is the Barney's, but it is a big rigid frame pack. Not conducive to sneaking through the woods.

Jeremy

All good choices, and would depend on fit (most important) and layout.

the reason there is so much arguing about packs is we are all shaped different and wear a pack a little different, so my best may be your worst.

of your choices, looking for a best, I would have it narrowed to kifaru and EXO, but that’s me, which has nothing to do with what fits you best

I prefer external frame as to have a meat shelf between the frame and the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I won’t consider a pack that doesn’t have a meat shelf, but some put meat in the bag regardless. I just don’t want the mess, when I did do that, it was a mess

hikenhunt

WKR
A meat shelf also provides for extra storage on longer trips without committing to a larger bag

Tradchef

WKR
Try em all. I’ve used Kifaru, MR and SG. Kifaru fits my short frame and worked the best. SG is amazingly comfy. MR is great too but I had them when the Hunting packs were still made in town here. I also like carrying meat in the bag over a meat shelf and the center zip on the reckoning is a really nice feature for that.

Ripnbst

FNG
I use a KUIU ICON PRO 5200, the closest bag to it that KUIU currently offers is the Icon Pro 6000 and I really like it. Of the choices you have listed I'd go Mystery Ranch. When you're into the more premium packs it's tough to go wrong as they all have lots of years of feedback and experience into their design. I've heard people rave about Kifaru products but I've not had the pleasure of trying one personally so I dont really have an informed opinion on those. I'm sure you'd be happy with Kifaru as well.

jimmy88

FNG
Has anyone ever used the Osprey AG series for packing game out? A buddy of mine has one that he swears by, but I know it's not a "game pack" and it doesn't have a meat shelf. Is that all personal preference or do the designated game packs really make that much of a difference?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
no experience with the Osprey AG's, but it appears they can handle "backpacking" loads a bit more than most backpacks; BUT that's a far cry from hauling 70-100 lbs

dedicated hunting pack haulers utilize external frames, thick shoulder straps and hip belts- HUGE difference- maybe not so much at 30-40 lbs, get past that and there really is no comparison at all

jimmy88

FNG
no experience with the Osprey AG's, but it appears they can handle "backpacking" loads a bit more than most backpacks; BUT that's a far cry from hauling 70-100 lbs

dedicated hunting pack haulers utilize external frames, thick shoulder straps and hip belts- HUGE difference- maybe not so much at 30-40 lbs, get past that and there really is no comparison at all
Thanks for the input!

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
There is no "best elk hunting pack". There is what works best for each individual elk hunting pack. I have use 2 of the frames, kifaru and mystery ranch, you listed and wouldn't trade the one I have now, SeekOutside, for either of those. For me there is no comparison. You have to find what works and fits you best.