Best Elk Ranch/Outfitter To Take Wife Hunting

man32ahan

FNG
Looking at 2023 or 2024 season. Not interested in preference points or playing the draw game. So looking at paying the price for a guided private hunt for the wife. Doesn’t have to be a monster elk but want to give her an opportunity at a nice bull.
Anybody have any ranch/outfitter recommendations? Not picky on state either. Thanks in advance

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't have any recommendations on specific ranches, but is she looking for a hunt, or is she looking to kill an elk?

If you want at least a little bit of a hunt I'd be looking to Utah on a landowner tag. If she just wants to kill an elk I'd do a high-fence deal in TX.

Morrid7

FNG
Vermejo ranch (owned by Ted Turner) in NM. I’m not speaking from experience though. Look it up and you’ll see what I mean. I saw it featured on an hunting show one time by Realtree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
Vermejo ranch (owned by Ted Turner) in NM. I’m not speaking from experience though. Look it up and you’ll see what I mean. I saw it featured on an hunting show one time by Realtree.

This. If you can get in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't give a cent to Teddy T. and Hanoi Jane.

When my brother and I were researching hunts in 2020, we had similar interests. We found that if you wanted an early season rifle hunt for a bull, and didn't want to wait 5 years to build points/draw (CO), Montana was a good option. However, the kill rates can be lower than other parts of the country depending on the unit. You are going to have to determine what weapon she is most comfortable using and then balance opportunity vs. expectations of a harvest. Good luck!

PA Hunter

WKR
Hidden Creek Outfitters use to be Thorofare Adventures and Wyoming Expeditions. Hunted a few times with them but regardless in Wyoming you should build your points to draw a tag for better odds. Anyway awesome country and great hunting and an awesome experience in the Thorofare wilderness area.

wytx

WKR
Spur Outfitters in N Colorado maybe.
RFW outfitters have guaranteed tags and long seasons in Colorado.

Quinlan Ranch in Chama,NM. Chama land and cattle ranch in Chama. There is one over between Taos and Red River NM. I can’t remember the name but it’s run by an Indian Tribe. It might have been part of or the actual East Moreno Ranch a long time ago.

2five7

WKR
Give these guys a call, tell them you want to hunt the central Utah property. I've hunted and guided that property for 20 years. Fun place to hunt, great camp, very accommodating for hunters of all ages and abilities.

Morrid7

FNG
Quinlan Ranch in Chama,NM. Chama land and cattle ranch in Chama. There is one over between Taos and Red River NM. I can’t remember the name but it’s run by an Indian Tribe. It might have been part of or the actual East Moreno Ranch a long time ago.

Is that the Bobcat Ranch?

Give these guys a call, tell them you want to hunt the central Utah property. I've hunted and guided that property for 20 years. Fun place to hunt, great camp, very accommodating for hunters of all ages and abilities.

Any idea on pricing? I couldn't find anything listed on their web page.

I can vouch for the Quinlan Ranch in Chama, NM. I started hunting there in 1990 when it was still owned by the Quinlans, and the twin Sons were some of the guides. At the time, 6X6 were the order of the day, and shot opportunities were constant. I usually shot the first day with most being 300 -310 class 6X6. Fast forward to the present. New owners, more hunting pressure, plenty of bulls, but smaller. First class accomodations on the Ranch at the Garcia Lodge (included) with first class gourmet meals. You and the Wife would be very comfortable there. Only 10 miles West of Chama.
If I were to try to book it now, I would call Steve West Outdoor Adventures to get a price.

Chama Land and Cattle in Chama (lodgeatchama.com) is now a Jicarilla Indian operation that boasts a 4 million dollar lodge with 5 star operation throughout. Includes rainbow trout fishing, open liquor bar- BUT priced out of my Retired LEO Pension price range. It would be the hunting experience of a lifetime for you and the Wife, and would be my choice. Located in Chama.

Both places named have landowner issued tags, so no draw required unless you want to try to mule deer hunt also.

Last edited:

Matt237

FNG
Looking at 2023 or 2024 season. Not interested in preference points or playing the draw game. So looking at paying the price for a guided private hunt for the wife. Doesn’t have to be a monster elk but want to give her an opportunity at a nice bull.
Anybody have any ranch/outfitter recommendations? Not picky on state either. Thanks in advance
I don't know your budget on this hunt but if you're ok with spending some real money I know a few ranches in Northern CA that hold monster Tuley elk ( nothing compared to an average rocky mountain) not high fence ranches so there is a chance the herds could leave but they typically won't since they are on irrigated cattle ranches. They don't offer a pack service or butcher service but i live by a few of these places and have plenty of freezer/ hanging space Or check out the CA share hunt program very cheap to apply I believe $11 per application and a cheap tag if you do draw and its almost a guaranteed kill its how I got my first elk.