Best fabric for backpack?

Fredrik E

FNG
Hello!

What fabric should i use for my breakaway backpack?

I want a fabric that is tough enough, resonably light and as quiet as possible even in freezing temperatures.
As inspiration i am looking at Seek outside and Exo mountain Gear.

Cheers

OP
F

Fredrik E

FNG
Sorry, a backpack with detachable bag from frame

Skickat från min HD1903 via Tapatalk

Both Seek Outside and Exo post some specs on what they use. I don't think you could go wrong with a 500D Cordura. For some added durability (and weight) you could go 1000D Cordura.

Alternatively, if you're wanting more waterproof and lighter (but noisier) then X-PAC might be an option, but at quite an increase in price.

Rokwiia

WKR
Choice of fabric depends on your priorities...waterproofness, weight, quietness, abrasion resistance. I have several Seek Outside packs and they offer 3 fabrics:

1) XPac (in X21 and X42)
2) SpectraGrid
3) XPac-33

If you live in dry areas where quietness, abrasion resistance, and lightweight are important, then SpectraGrid would be your choice. I happen to live in an area where it is wet so I chose XPac and have had the X-21, X-33, and X-42. If waterproof and the feel of Cordura are the two most important, then X-33 would be a good choice. I believe it has an outer layer of cordura laminated to XPac but check with SO to be sure. It is lighter than X-42 but heavier than X-21.

XPac X-21 is grey and the lightest XPac material SO offers but I find it the noisest. XPac-42 is more supple and quieter than X-21 but in a full-size backpack will weigh about 3oz-4oz more.

Many people like the SpectraGrid but I'd be concerned about water intrusion. If you have to use a dry bag or two then you begin to lose the weight advantage.

If I could only have one pack that had to last me for a long time, I would choose the X-42 material--no question about it. Waterproof, supple, more durable and quiet than X-21 and for only a small weight penalty.

AKSandman

FNG
I’ve have seen several packs from the vx-42. I wouldn’t call it especially quiet, but it’s not bad. Take a look at the uhmwpe venom fabric from Ripstop by the roll. Also, the polyester/dyneema fabric with a pu coating is probably the quietest of these three, but not as waterproof. The venom fabric is impressive!

Mt Al

WKR
Another thought is 330D Cordura for some parts of the pack. The military is using more 330D where 500D was used in the past for some weight reduction while still maintaining decent abrasion and tear resistance.

OP
F

Fredrik E

FNG
Vx-42 is to noisy in My opinion, i try to check out the Venom fabric.

Thanks Fredrik

Skickat från min HD1903 via Tapatalk