Best factory long range rifle around $1000

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the Browning Hells Canyon speed or long range. I shoot the speed in 300 win mag and love the way it shoots, the way it looks, and how it feels

Rem Model 7

7saum

pawn shop

$540

PfUv0FL.jpg

150gr NBT
wWFiC7d.jpg

160gr Accubonds - (1" squares)
7XEtSjz.jpg

Better Scope, and less gay paint job.
NPIYhQH.jpg

Isn't the loose nut behind the stock the determining factor on what makes a rifle "long range" or not?

Rem Model 7

7saum

pawn shop

$540

PfUv0FL.jpg

150gr NBT
wWFiC7d.jpg

7XEtSjz.jpg

NPIYhQH.jpg

Isn't the loose nut behind the stock the determining factor on what makes a rifle "long range" or not?

No. There are things that make some rifles easier to make long range shots or the OP would have asked how to improve his long range shooting skills. I won’t argue that your model 7 in the hands of the right person wouldnt outshoot the wrong person with a winning PRS setup.

For starters I doubt you are going to spot your impacts with that rifle and it will be much more sensitive to grip and recoil management than something purpose built for long range. I wouldn’t trust that scope to dial repeatedly, and it probably doesn’t have the best reticle for wind holds or measuring adjustments.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Rem Model 7

7saum

pawn shop

$540

PfUv0FL.jpg

150gr NBT
wWFiC7d.jpg

7XEtSjz.jpg

NPIYhQH.jpg

I've got 2 Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM. I love that cartridge. Mine are as accurate as yours. Mine will shoot 140 and 160 grain Accubonds and Partitions into tiny little groups at 100 yards.

mtmuley

WKR
No. There are things that make some rifles easier to make long range shots or the OP would have asked how to improve his long range shooting skills. I won’t argue that your model 7 in the hands of the right person wouldnt outshoot the wrong person with a winning PRS setup.

For starters I doubt you are going to spot your impacts with that rifle and it will be much more sensitive to grip and recoil management than something purpose built for long range. I wouldn’t trust that scope to dial repeatedly, and it probably doesn’t have the best reticle for wind holds or measuring adjustments.

Wow. Lots to assume there. mtmuley

Wow. Lots to assume there. mtmuley

In hindsight I came off pretty shitty but can you elaborate on any errant assumptions?

William, I didn't mean to poo poo on your neat rifle that obviously shoots well and gets the job done. I was just trying to illustrate that I wouldn't recommend a lightweight magnum with light hunting scope as a long range rifle.

Does anyone know anything about the Browning X-Bolt Long Range? I don't have much experience with long range yet but I do know that if you put 1000 into the scope just about any quality rifle will do decent things out to 1000 yards!

OP
O
Thanks all for the responses so far. Definitely looking for something with the traditional long range characteristics like heavy barrel and stiff stock. Lots of votes for the xbolt long range.

tntrker

WKR
I've always been a Savage fan and currently shooting the 116 FCSS 30-06 sub MOA and only limit it to 450 yrds in the field due to ballistics of that caliber, factory ammo. I can ring teeth from a loader at 600 yrds with it. I have the High Country in 300 wm ordered. Spend at least that much on glass to maximize your rifles potential. If your a vet, Savage, Bergara, Leupold, Vortex all have deep discounts.

Bzn_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of Tikkas. Out of the box, I haven't had one that didn't shoot great. But if your looking for a solid long range rig, in 7mm and under 10lbs, here's what I'd do.

Rem 700 SPS Stainless $650 on (Gunbroker)
Prarie Varmint Carbon Stock ($394.99 on sale at Stocky's)
Bed the lug for $20.

You'll have a solid rifle that will be a sub 10# tac-driver. I built one a few years ago. Shot HSM 180's exceptionally well. Sub 1/2 moa @100yards consistently.

Sako300

WKR
Sako a7 with better synthetic stock then older models with muzzlebreak 300 win 899 from euro optic.