Best First Big Game Hunt(Out of State)

I'm looking to start planning and gearing up for my first big game/western hunt next year. I am a military veteran that separated to return to college and will graduate this fall. So with some vacation time and some income to fill in gear gaps I'd like to start doing hunts I've always dreamed of. Currently live in Michigan and grew up a whitetail hunter. Have recently expanded to waterfowl and turkey as well. I'm looking for something an out-of-stater can get in. Maybe join in on one of the hunting meetups on this forum? I went out on one guided hunt trip for snow geese in Missouri and was fairly disappointed by the atmosphere. I have a huge reverence for nature and didn't appreciate the opposite mentality. Is this typically how guided trips are?

Any advice on where to start? I only have clothing and gear for tree sits in Michigan which I know would melt me walking more than a few miles, but would like to pick out a specific hunt and time of the year to start gearing up for.

Thanks!

CorbLand

WKR
Pick a state and a hunt that you want to do and go do it. You can spend a lifetime planning or you can just go and get it done.

nexus

FNG
Wyoming Pronghorn....I am a firm believer it is the best starter animal and place for archers wanting a relatively simple western hunting experience. You do not need a guide/outfitter and you do not need a ton of special camping gear. Do some online research on Wyoming's hunt planner website, identify some public land, check for tag numbers/odds, get your truck/car ready for some basic camping (BLM land), put in for the tag, and go hunt. When you get there, chase them spot & stalk or bring the same blind you or your buddy's use to hunt whitetail and set it up on a waterhole.

By the way, same thing can be said for chasing mule deer or Javelina in Arizona - Road Trip Style Hunting

I try and take a group of new hunters every other year to introduce them to the opportunities provided by many of the western states.

cnelk

WKR
^^^^^ yep this ^^^^^

Practice shooting out to 60-80 yds (spot/stalk) and go get a Wyoming pronghorn or 2 on the first trip
You can also sit water holes with a blind with great success

baz77

WKR
I’ll echo the others Wyoming pronghorns super fun high success hunt...you can still pick up a point for next year which will open up some more units for you

K Pauley

FNG
My first trip was to Wyoming. Used over the counter tags for pronghorns. Finding public land was a challenge where I was at but it was easily done other than that. Had a great time and would love to do it again.

Btaylor

WKR
No one has reverence for sky carp, they are a plague on waterfowl habitat in the breeding grounds and destroy crop fields in the wintering grounds.