Best fit for skinny dudes, FL, Sitka, KUIU?

mvmnts

WKR
I'm a pretty skinny guy I think by RS standards. I'm 6'2" and 180lbs on a good day. I have pretty broad shoulders and long arms. So getting stuff that fits well is tough. I ordered a piece of FL gear and I was not happy with the fit at all. For my base and mid layer tops I want a really tailored fit. Who has the most athletic cut among clothing makers? Sitka's stuff looks pretty trim, but then again, FL's did too and that didn't pan out too well. Right now I mostly need baselayer and midlayer. I prefer wool, but I will go with fleece if I have to for midlayer. Thanks!

LBFowler

WKR
I got you beat, I'm 6'2" and 160 if I've been eating too much. I thought my medium FL chama fit pretty fell, a little loose but the arms were plenty long. I just got a medium Sitka Core lightweight hoody and it is much tighter through the arms and a bit tighter through the chest, but the arms are quite a bit shorter. I probably need a large in sitka just for sleeve length.

I only have one kuiu upper garment (chinook), but based on that, I'd say Sitka has the most athletic fit. I'm a bit chubby and FL is loose on my torso with the exception of the llano.

ianpadron

WKR
Sitka and FL is boxy, KUIU is the most athletic cut when you compare similar pieces of the same size.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

R_burg

WKR
Sounds like you already figured it out, but First Lite is not going to fit you IMO if you want something that actually fits, rather than something you are swimming in.

Honestly, even though so many people here dont like it, Kuiu is going to fit you the best. Sitka is hit or miss, so I would try it on first or make sure you can return it. Some of it fits me great, others fit large (not long, but wide). For the stuff that doesnt necessitate camo, I would suggest Arcteryx.

I am 6'3, 185 with long arms and semi-broad shoulders. I dont look like a professional athlete, but I also dont look like a bean pole, so I think you and I are built a lot alike.

I am posting this on behalf of us older shorter guys
Here is what you should shoot for in a base layer
lJK of course

doesn't FL offer "tall" sizes too?

Attachments

• skinny dude .jpg
    skinny dude .jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 74

Pramo

WKR
I'm 6'2'' 175 with a 33 inch waist and athletic build. I find Kuiu fits the best off all hunting brands for me in size large, Sitka I wear L or XL depending and first lite I need medium. Kuiu fits perfect I just wish I liked all there clothes, being tall and skinny I need some windstopper outer layers

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
I'm 6'2'' 175 with a 33 inch waist and athletic build. I find Kuiu fits the best off all hunting brands for me in size large, Sitka I wear L or XL depending and first lite I need medium. Kuiu fits perfect I just wish I liked all there clothes, being tall and skinny I need some windstopper outer layers

This X2

OP
mvmnts

mvmnts

WKR
Sounds like you already figured it out, but First Lite is not going to fit you IMO if you want something that actually fits, rather than something you are swimming in.

Honestly, even though so many people here dont like it, Kuiu is going to fit you the best. Sitka is hit or miss, so I would try it on first or make sure you can return it. Some of it fits me great, others fit large (not long, but wide). For the stuff that doesnt necessitate camo, I would suggest Arcteryx.

I am 6'3, 185 with long arms and semi-broad shoulders. I dont look like a professional athlete, but I also dont look like a bean pole, so I think you and I are built a lot alike.

I have a whole closet of great outdoor gear that fits me, that's why I'm not dropping top dollar on camo unless it's perfect. I can go without if I need to. I don't really understand the kuiu hate, but I am open to trying their stuff. I understand it is good gear, people just don't like the guys who run the company, but I don't really care. I tried other options first :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't really understand the kuiu hate, but I am open to trying their stuff. I understand it is good gear, people just don't like the guys who run the company, but I don't really care. I tried other options first :)

I just don't like the KUIU merino base layers. The FL Llano's fit pretty snug and I'm pretty lean as well at 6'6" 217. I received Larges instead of XL's one time and tried them anyway........I could barely even get one on. Seems like their Chama's and Labrador fit about the same way...snug. I found their jackets to fit about normal, whereas you really need to size up with KUIU.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm close to your build. Sitka pants are hit or miss. Ascent and 90 percent are too short, even in tall size. Mountain pants are good. Sitka shirts are usually too short in the arms and torso. Sitka jackets in large or XL are ok. Kuiu fits me well. You might want to read the skre gear review in the stickies, sounds like they might work for you too.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'0, 165lbs, 32" waist. Kuiu fits me the best of the brands. I order medium pants and large tops. I have stuff from Sitka, first lite, and kryptek as well. First lite and kryptek are both more full full cut, Sitka is pretty tailored, kuiu fits perfect.
Agree on the comment that Sitka jackets are too short. I returned mine for that reason.

bobbyrowman

Lil-Rokslider
Either kuiu or sitka, everything I've got from first lite so far has been generously sized. Which works for me

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'm a pretty skinny guy I think by RS standards. I'm 6'2" and 180lbs on a good day. I have pretty broad shoulders and long arms. So getting stuff that fits well is tough. I ordered a piece of FL gear and I was not happy with the fit at all. For my base and mid layer tops I want a really tailored fit. Who has the most athletic cut among clothing makers? Sitka's stuff looks pretty trim, but then again, FL's did too and that didn't pan out too well. Right now I mostly need baselayer and midlayer. I prefer wool, but I will go with fleece if I have to for midlayer. Thanks!

sitka is known for its athletic cut...if you need sizing help with sitka or first lite we will be glad to help...we have some great pre season specials going on for both.

texag10

WKR
Been real happy with the fit of my kuiu tibruon pants and mostly happy with the merino 210 hoody. Only problem with hoody is the wrist openings are very tight so you can't pull the sleeves up on your forearms very much. I got a 32" for the pants and a m for the hoody. 5'11" 155 lbs.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
6'2", 180 lbs. I've liked most of my Sitka product as far as base and mid layers. Pants are okay but often the 32 long isn't really as long as the 34 long so sometimes the pants are a touch short for me. Outer shells like the coldfront jacket tend to be a litttle more baggy but usually when I'm wearing that it's cold out and I have a base, mid, and insulation layer all underneath. Overall I'm usually happy with the Sitka sizing, especially the newer base layers that have the longer tail in back!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk