Best gaiter? Kenetrek Vs. Peax Gaiters

Does anyone have any experience with the newer style Kenetrek hunting gaiters vs the Peax gaiters?

I’m the market for a new pair and need help deciding!

I typically hate wearing gaiters as the make my legs hot and sweaty when hiking so I need a waterproof/lightweight/breathable set for creek crossing and wet conditions.
Does the perfect gaiter exist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDB9818

WKR
Personally, I'm a big fan of the Kuiu Yukon gaiters. The old Kenetreks I had were basically shredded in one season. I haven't tried the Peax. I'm typically wearing gaiters in later rifle seasons with snow on the ground in sagebrush country.

I’m also a big fan of the Yukon gaiter. I had the Kenetreks but they just weren’t comfortable at all for me. They wanted to fall down and they just didn’t fit well. Love the Kuiu though.

Also like mentioned above, I haven’t tried the Peax.

EdP

WKR
I have a pair of Kenetrek gaiters that I got in 2016. They have held up fine thru a lot of hiking in blackberry brambles so I don't think they are fragile at all. They are quiet when walking and I like that, but the velcro closure is VERY noisy if you need to take them off. They might not be quite as waterproof if zippered but I would prefer a zipper and a few snaps rather than the velcro.

OP
danmayland
Personally, I'm a big fan of the Kuiu Yukon gaiters. The old Kenetreks I had were basically shredded in one season. I haven't tried the Peax. I'm typically wearing gaiters in later rifle seasons with snow on the ground in sagebrush country.

Thank you for the input! I hadn’t considered those. Mostly because both Kenetrek and Peax are based in my home town. My Kenetrek shave lasted for over 10 years but I hate the material as it attracts burs of every kind, they’re not really waterproof for creek crossings and they’re heavy and never stay up.

Thunder17

FNG
Classified Approved
+1 on the Kuiu Yukon gaiters. I’ve had mine for a couple years and still in good shape. They can be a little warm but I don’t really notice it. Loosening the top can help with the heat .

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Kuiu yukons simply a step above kennetreks, they stay buckled, stay in place and are more resilient at keeping your feet dry for longer…both will wear out in a few years if worn a lot….cannot comment on the peax gaiters..

OP
danmayland
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I had an opportunity to check out the Kenetreks, Peax, Outdoor Research and the Kuiu’s Yukons over the weekend and today at the local sporting good stores. I have to say all of them seemed pretty darn good compared to my older Kenetreks. However there was one clear winner over the rest of the pack and that’s the Peax! I had an opportunity to spend some time talking with the guys at Peax and all I can say is “WOW”! These guys know gear and backcountry hunting and they have dialed it in when it comes to the Peax gaiters. I’d say the Kuiu was runner up but here’s what sold me on the Peax…

The weight: the second lightest of all 3 at just over 10oz (kenetrek was slightly lighter but sacrificed rigidity aka sagging down the calf)

The materials: Dyneema stitching and bombproof 1000D and KEVLAR boot strap!!

The buckle: by far the most innovative design of any gaiter ever!! Seriously it’s ridiculously awesome. It has a hook feature so you can set your desired fitment around the calf and never have to mess with the buckle or webbing again unless you need to due to different clothing.

My favorite features besides those listed above is the overall fit and materials of the Peax. The flat out stay up with zero sag even when the buckle is completely loose. I have small calves and nothing drives me nuts more than my gaiters ending up around my ankles. The Kuiu also performed will with the OR’s coming in third and the Kenetrek last. The Peax use extra abrasive resistant materials in all the right areas and more breathable materials in the uppers. The OR are similar but didn’t have the rigidity that the Peax offer. Besides, they’re using dyneema thread for stitching. There’s no secret it’s one of the lightest and strongest materials known in the outdoor world. I can’t speak the breathability yet but they don’t feel like they’re going to make a sweat fest on your legs.

The only cons are price and color. They’re the most expensive of the bunch coming in at $119 but I’d gladly pay extra for the quality and innovation they bring to the market. Currently they’re only offered in black. I’m not a camo nut but prefer natural earth colors like tan/coyote, olive or even grey. Black IMO just shows to much mud/dirt and contrast to much against any color of pant. That’s just my personal preference and really has no bearing on actual performance. Kuiu and Kenetrek offer the better color choices and OR is just black as well.

Anyway, happy hunting! Hope this helps someone else in the market!

Please report back with use particularly in fall and early winter snow conditions.

Kuiu is the general consensus and several on here last fall had issues with the Peax balling up under foot in snow. I’m not loyal to any one brand but want the best I can afford and expect what I buy and use to last. Yukons have done that for 8 or so years but I’m always looking to improve.

OP
danmayland
Well after a relatively short but successful bear hunt in SW Montana I had the opportunity to put the Peax Gaiters to the test for a long 3 day back country trip. The gaiters saw several creek crossings, minor rain, a few snow fields and lots of hiking. They performed very well and kept both my feet and legs dry from the water crossings, snow and rain. However, my biggest complaint is the lack of breathability. After a creek crossing I had about a 2 mile hike up a mountain with about 1200 feet elevation change. Temps were in the mid 40’s so not hot nor cold. About half way up I simply had to take them off because my legs felt like they were in a sauna. I removed the gaiters and my pants were soaked and visibly saturated with sweat. No Bueno. I’m not even a sweater… so on the pack they went and I just put them back on when needed for creek crossings or really wet conditions. I was certainly hoping for better breathability but such is the cost for that type of gaiter. Now the search continues! I’m curious if guys using the Kuiu haters have similar experiences with breathability?!

OP
danmayland
ef541b15903276e39a3bb6444d6753a8.jpg

A nice blonde/cinnamon bear for the 2022 season!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I had an opportunity to check out the Kenetreks, Peax, Outdoor Research and the Kuiu’s Yukons over the weekend and today at the local sporting good stores. I have to say all of them seemed pretty darn good compared to my older Kenetreks. However there was one clear winner over the rest of the pack and that’s the Peax! I had an opportunity to spend some time talking with the guys at Peax and all I can say is “WOW”! These guys know gear and backcountry hunting and they have dialed it in when it comes to the Peax gaiters. I’d say the Kuiu was runner up but here’s what sold me on the Peax…

The weight: the second lightest of all 3 at just over 10oz (kenetrek was slightly lighter but sacrificed rigidity aka sagging down the calf)

The materials: Dyneema stitching and bombproof 1000D and KEVLAR boot strap!!

The buckle: by far the most innovative design of any gaiter ever!! Seriously it’s ridiculously awesome. It has a hook feature so you can set your desired fitment around the calf and never have to mess with the buckle or webbing again unless you need to due to different clothing.

My favorite features besides those listed above is the overall fit and materials of the Peax. The flat out stay up with zero sag even when the buckle is completely loose. I have small calves and nothing drives me nuts more than my gaiters ending up around my ankles. The Kuiu also performed will with the OR’s coming in third and the Kenetrek last. The Peax use extra abrasive resistant materials in all the right areas and more breathable materials in the uppers. The OR are similar but didn’t have the rigidity that the Peax offer. Besides, they’re using dyneema thread for stitching. There’s no secret it’s one of the lightest and strongest materials known in the outdoor world. I can’t speak the breathability yet but they don’t feel like they’re going to make a sweat fest on your legs.

The only cons are price and color. They’re the most expensive of the bunch coming in at $119 but I’d gladly pay extra for the quality and innovation they bring to the market. Currently they’re only offered in black. I’m not a camo nut but prefer natural earth colors like tan/coyote, olive or even grey. Black IMO just shows to much mud/dirt and contrast to much against any color of pant. That’s just my personal preference and really has no bearing on actual performance. Kuiu and Kenetrek offer the better color choices and OR is just black as well.

Anyway, happy hunting! Hope this helps someone else in the market!

I am not a fan of the front velcro on any gaiter. Noisy and fills with junk. Anyone know of a snap or waterproof zipper version?

sndmn11

WKR
I am not a fan of the front velcro on any gaiter. Noisy and fills with junk. Anyone know of a snap or waterproof zipper version?